Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle up on long guns

I know most clubs have their own set of rules but I’m trying to get general consensus if moving with a long gun is it OK to move with the muscle up and in a match if someone goes muzzle up and is not allowed is it a DQ for breaking the 180 or is it a reshoot with Clarification of rules be explained to the shooter

General consensus will not beat the rules that are applicable to a specific match.

If by "muzzle up" you mean that the gun is pointed above the horizontal, then you would not necessarily be in violation of any USPSA rule that I am aware of.  However, if the muzzle breaks the 180 plane while pointed up, down, left, or right, during the course of fire, then that would be a DQ according to all rule sets with which I am familiar.  I have shot matches wherein some of the stages had restricted muzzle movement zones... but these were very clearly defined during the Stage Briefing.

Better get clarification from stage RO before you start.  As RO, I don't like competitor running/moving with muzzle up,  It hasn't happened yet, but one of these days, one will trip and fall on their butts, where do you think the muzzle is going to be at that time?  Most likely pointed at me with a loaded gun! Instant DQ as best scenario, kill someone would be the absolute worse case for you, life would be over as you know it.  Sorry for harsh words, but this is not fun and game.

Best practice is learn to run with muzzle pointed down range all the time, switching your hold to the weak hand if you must.

Edited by PacMan

• 1 month later...

Just about every match is a 180° muzzle zone, all of which is 90° from downrange, that means anything past near vertical is breaking it. 45° up or a little more is perfectly fine. Most of the time, 45 is enough to not be pointed at anyone in a "real world" scenario, while allowing you to keep it safe if you fall in a competition.