Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dvc steel mag issue

xjwalt666

A friend of mine recently got a ne DVC steel in 9mm. He also bought 5 1st gen mags at the time of purchase. They never said anything to him about them not working when he told them what gun they'd be for. Since August he tried a number of different loads and different springs in it and kept having feed and ejection issues. Finally he contacted STI and they said 1st gen mags will never run in a 2nd gen gun. Is this really true? Plus the shop he got the mags from pretty much told him to pound sand when he explained the issue. And said it's not their problem, even being the same shop that sold him the gun. Is there really that big a difference between 1st abd 2nd gen mags?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, xjwalt666 said:

I know that about the spacers but I didnt realize there was something so different about them that 1st gen mags wont work in newer guns.

I think you have been handed a line of BS. Newer SV mags don’t work well in STI platforms but STI mags are interchangeable. If this were the case the newer gen 2 STI mags wouldn’t work in STI Guns either

I think you have been handed a line of BS. Newer SV mags don’t work well in STI platforms but STI mags are interchangeable. If this were the case the newer gen 2 STI mags wouldn’t work in STI Guns either
That's what I thought too. He talked to someone at STI I think named Matt a d hes the one that told him 1st gen mags wont work in the dvc steel. 2nd gen work flawless tho. I think the mags just need to be tuned but that just me. I'm going to have him try a couple of mine which are 1st gen and see if they work.

24 minutes ago, xjwalt666 said:

That's what I thought too. He talked to someone at STI I think named Matt a d hes the one that told him 1st gen mags wont work in the dvc steel. 2nd gen work flawless tho. I think the mags just need to be tuned but that just me. I'm going to have him try a couple of mine which are 1st gen and see if they work.

Some have had better luck than others and will disagree with this BUT, STI mags pretty much need adjusted(tuned)right out of the box. Feed lips are probably out of whack. They also run better with aftermarket guts. I really like Grams springs and followers. 

Also, keep that new gun oiled up and cleaned as you break it in for 1000 rounds or so.

Some have had better luck than others and will disagree with this BUT, STI mags pretty much need adjusted(tuned)right out of the box. Feed lips are probably out of whack. They also run better with aftermarket guts. I really like Grams springs and followers. 
Also, keep that new gun oiled up and cleaned as you break it in for 1000 rounds or so.
Ok cool. I will pass it along to him.