Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2018 STI DVC Limited reviews?

beta1759

I used the search function without avail, so im curious if anyone has the "new" 2018 DVC Limited (island barrel). I currently have the "old" DVC Limited and was curious if it's an improvement or not.

On paper is seems like its going to recoil/track better, but im not sure if its any better than my currently tuned .40 DVC (tungsten guide rod, 12lb variable recoil spring).

There won't be much in it.

I'd go a steel grip before i spent the coin on an island barrel in limited.

I recently had an island barrel infinity and switched back to an standard edge with a trigger job. Found no meaningful difference with tracking of the sights. The quality of the gun was much better but that didn't equate to faster or better shooting for me. 

I looked at one today. But I’m on the fence about it. I could get a Dawson tuned edge with five mags for about the same price.  

But on on the other hand, the DVC absolutely fit my hand better. I’m pretty sure it’s the extra under cut on the trigger guard that made all the difference. I can tell you it was a lot heavier than I thought it was going to be.  

The fit and finish on the one I saw today was as perfect as my beginner eye could tell. No gaps or machine marks to be seen. 

I wish someone who who has been shooting one would chime in. 

My brain is telling me to go with the edge.  It’s just that the DVC fit so well.  

Ive shot an edge. Back in the day I was shooting an Executive. I’m just getting back into the game now and I’ve got a budget that I can do either gun. The DVC being at the top end. 

3 minutes ago, MattLowery said:

My brain is telling me to go with the edge.  It’s just that the DVC fit so well.  

Ive shot an edge. Back in the day I was shooting an Executive. I’m just getting back into the game now and I’ve got a budget that I can do either gun. The DVC being at the top end. 

https://dawsonprecision.com/grips-sti-2011-hicap-polymer-enhanced-by-extreme-shooters/

Same grip as the DVC. Put this on the Edge and then you'll have the grip you want and still be ahead of the game. 

The grip on my DVC is certainly nice, but it is nowhere near having a PT Evo grip on the gun. I think that will be the real game changer than DVC standard vs. DVC Island. The grip on my DVC is certainly nice, but it is nowhere near having a PT Evo grip on the gun. I think that will be the real game changer than DVC standard vs. DVC Island. 

8 hours ago, Moloch38 said:

The grip on my DVC is certainly nice, but it is nowhere near having a PT Evo grip on the gun. I think that will be the real game changer than DVC standard vs. DVC Island. The grip on my DVC is certainly nice, but it is nowhere near having a PT Evo grip on the gun. I think that will be the real game changer than DVC standard vs. DVC Island. 

You can say that again!     ?

I had a DVC the fit and finish was excellent and it functioned flawlessly from the first shot to the last. The grip was not a perfect fit for me but other wise the gun was excellent.

I only upgraded for a gun with a metal grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Moloch38 said:

So the “island” model has the “Evo” grip?

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:06 PM, MattLowery said:

Based on your observations I would believe the grip has more to do with the fit to your hand than any other feature of the DVC.  Extreme Shooters provides those grips to STI and can be purchased through Dawson or Extreme Shooters.  I have an Extreme Shooters grip on all 5 of my 2011 frame guns and could not be happier.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:01 PM, dthomas1003 said:

Having played with both, your money would be better spent on the Dawson tuned edge with 5 mags. The Edge is a fantastic gun and you get 5 mags. 

didn't dawson stop offering their supertune package? believe their CRP is just bolt on's.  brazos does do their HP on select models (incl edge).

19 hours ago, MattLowery said:

So the “island” model has the “Evo” grip?

No, they both have COTS plastic stippled grips from Extreme Shooters. I mean that I believe most shooters will see more benefit from adding a metal PT Evo type grip that the perceived benefit of an island barrel over a bull barrel on an STI DVC.

lately saw 4 new STI guns 2 DVC limited silver finish  (not island barrel) and 2  STI   EDGE  in black.

both dvc worked out of box. one of them has tight fit and the other has fit like regular 1911 gun.

one EDGE  has tight fit and the other not. the second edge with bad fit didn't worked at all.and  the workmanship was  terrible .only barrel was fit properly.

it looks like bad amateur work . didn't expect this  from STI.?

3 of 4 works. (this not problem to fix it perfectly.)

best choice if u can buy  sti edge with good  tight fit. and finish it yourself.

this simple gun  works  better than dvc.

After listening and getting a better understanding of the 2011 custom game. I personally have come to the conclusion that whatever a budget fits, is the gun for me. I know I always wanna tinker with stuff. With an STI I would be tempted to do a steel grip and that cost alone would cover a semi-custom gun over a shelf STI. I'd rather spend the $ up front and just run the gun as I know any of these semi-custom limited guns will just RUN. 

• 1 month later...

I have on order the New 2018 STI DVC Limited in 40 cal.  It's gonna be a step up from my Para P16 40 cal.  I seriously contemplated the Edge with Extreme shooters grip, but this time I'm going for the gold and chose not to customize it myself this time. I wanted a factory gun and I found a smoking deal just over what it would cost me for an Edge and custom grip.  Hopefully it's all I ever wanted for that winning combination. It's will be the most expensive handgun I own....lol. 

9 minutes ago, pc13 said:

I have on order the New 2018 STI DVC Limited in 40 cal.  It's gonna be a step up from my Para P16 40 cal.  I seriously contemplated the Edge with Extreme shooters grip, but this time I'm going for the gold and chose not to customize it myself this time. I wanted a factory gun and I found a smoking deal just over what it would cost me for an Edge and custom grip.  Hopefully it's all I ever wanted for that winning combination. It's will be the most expensive handgun I own....lol. 

I went ahead and got the DVC in .40, and let me tell you I’ve been happier than a dead pig in the sun. 

The gun has been absolutely flawless and the fit is incredible. It’s ate everything I’ve given it without one bobble.  

I spent more on this gun than anything I ever have that didn’t have wheels or a roof. It is literally worth every penny. 

Hopefully you’ll be as happy with yours as I am mine.  

Edited by MattLowery

I’ve had sight trackers and standard bull barrels. I prefer the standard slide. Ironically, i found it easier to track the sights on a standard slide and didn’t notice any recoil reduction with the lighter slide of a sight tracker.  Ymmv.