Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
rowdyb

Draw and 5 reloads. (Prod or SS)

Looking good. It does seem that you practice this a lot. Your draw mag very consistently across the belt. I am not sure if this drill is extremely helpful though. Most of the times we only reload twice or three times for Prod.

Thats why I shoot Limited.  That looks exhausting!

I'm actually better at this now hahaha

3 hours ago, JJB05 said:

Thats why I shoot Limited.  That looks exhausting!

Hahahah same here. If I get to my 3rd mag something went terribly wrong. 🤣🤣. Jokes aside, it looks solid 👍🏻

Looking good. Been practicing this with my 1911. Need to load up more dummy bullets so I can fill all my mags.

That’s a problem I run into. I don’t reload, and I don’t have dummy rounds that replicate a loaded mag.  Dispute that I feel when I go to the range it is easier to load a full mag when I practice with lighter ones in dryfire. 

For standing reloads, probably only the first mag matters in a classifier like stage.

How about make two boxes and do running reloads? That will tell if you are wasting time in a match. 

Upload a video.

1 hour ago, quliming said:

wasting time

oh this is just a goofing off, "see what you can do". not a specific skills test for classifier or stages. iirc i made this video, now years ago, for a few reasons. 1. everyone was showing dry fire videos using empty mags. to me that makes it easier to be faster. 2. everyone was showing just one lightning fast reload. once is luck, twice is chance, three times is skill. so i wanted to make a bunch back to back to back just to weed out the one reload hero or zero effect. 3. stressing i'm doing a da trigger pull and getting an actual grip on the gun.

If I did this now I'd try to make the par time 7 flat for a draw and 5 reloads. That would really be pushing it.

dig through my youtube channel and i have plenty of box to box videos of stuff during practice.

Edited by rowdyb

Rowdyb> When I was going bonkers on reload practice my true litmus test was being able to match a static multi reload par time to a one step while reloading par time. Then I started measuring the distance in feet I moved during the whole process. Pushing more distance during the whole drill made it dramatically more difficult but worked wonders for honing realistic "Stage based" reloading skills.

On 9/19/2018 at 2:03 PM, quliming said:

Looking good. It does seem that you practice this a lot. Your draw mag very consistently across the belt. I am not sure if this drill is extremely helpful though. Most of the times we only reload twice or three times for Prod.

Where on earth are you shooting production?  

Getting into your 4th mag on the belt is common, and mag #5? Probably once a match for me. 

This is actually immensely useful to practice; watch your buddies next time they’re drawing that fifth mag (any long stage with several 6 round positions.) The back two pouches take mose guys twice as long to draw.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Oh my goodness, you're all missing the point of a years old video. hahahahaha. It has nothing to do with me training to shoot a stage well or classifiers. It is ALL a rebuttal to the videos I was seeing at the time of a person doing one super fast reload of an empty mag on instagram.

Just a video equivalent of me saying, "oh  so you think you're fast doing one mag change with an empty mag and a magwell?? well try being quick with a draw, da trigger press, loaded mags and doing it 5 times with a real grip." just me being a smart alec. Nothing to do with my personal training in dry or live fire for matches. I let my match finishes speak for that, go ahead and check Pscore for the three nationals I shot at the 9 days of nats, or my standing in the aggregate of it all.

Edited by rowdyb

2 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Oh my goodness, you're all missing the point of a years old video. hahahahaha. It has nothing to do with me training to shoot a stage well or classifiers. It is ALL a rebuttal to the videos I was seeing at the time of a person doing one super fast reload of an empty mag on instagram.

Just a video equivalent of me saying, "oh you think you're fast doing one mag change with an empty mag?? well try being quick with a draw, da trigger press, loaded mags and doing it 5 times with a real grip." just me being a smart alec. Nothing to do with my personal training in dry or live fire for matches.

Hahahaha, agree, some people take it too far

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Where on earth are you shooting production?  

Getting into your 4th mag on the belt is common, and mag #5? Probably once a match for me. 

This is actually immensely useful to practice; watch your buddies next time they’re drawing that fifth mag (any long stage with several 6 round positions.) The back two pouches take mose guys twice as long to draw.

Yes, probably common for local matches. Not one stage required going to the 4th pouch at the 2018 prod national.

12 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Rowdyb> When I was going bonkers on reload practice my true litmus test was being able to match a static multi reload par time to a one step while reloading par time. Then I started measuring the distance in feet I moved during the whole process. Pushing more distance during the whole drill made it dramatically more difficult but worked wonders for honing realistic "Stage based" reloading skills.

Yeppers!  I started doing some Mike Seeklander drills, dry fire draw with multiple targets, then move to next box/area while reloading.  I wanted my mag out near the box I was leaving.  I want to complete my reload prior to entering the next box/area.

The one thing I do when moving to the next position if it is a few more steps away is reach for the mag furtherest back.  I save the first mag for my second reload.  But I shoot SS a lot!

4 hours ago, pjb45 said:

Yeppers!  I started doing some Mike Seeklander drills, dry fire draw with multiple targets, then move to next box/area while reloading.  I wanted my mag out near the box I was leaving.  I want to complete my reload prior to entering the next box/area.

The one thing I do when moving to the next position if it is a few more steps away is reach for the mag furtherest back.  I save the first mag for my second reload.  But I shoot SS a lot!

For reloads while moving, I guess you should usually have the magazine dropping, and hand on the next magazine, before you have a foot down for the first step. When you insert the magazine, might depend on where you are going: ASAP, or just before shooting. Like, I don't really want to be inserting a magazine while retreating straight back.

On 1/12/2019 at 2:35 AM, perttime said:

For reloads while moving, I guess you should usually have the magazine dropping, and hand on the next magazine, before you have a foot down for the first step. When you insert the magazine, might depend on where you are going: ASAP, or just before shooting. Like, I don't really want to be inserting a magazine while retreating straight back.

I would agree.  Retreating back is always a pain, I finish a reload before I rotate my shoulders if I am not just backing up but also turning because there is a lot of ground to cover.

17 hours ago, pjb45 said:

I would agree.  Retreating back is always a pain, I finish a reload before I rotate my shoulders if I am not just backing up but also turning because there is a lot of ground to cover.

Last summer, I encountered a couple stages where I needed to retreat, move sideways, and move downrange, before shooting again. I chose to move towards my weak hand side: turn leaving the gun pointing downrange, eject old magazine and go for the new magazine, sprint, and insert the magazine only when I was moving downrange again.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:46 AM, perttime said:

Last summer, I encountered a couple stages where I needed to retreat, move sideways, and move downrange, before shooting again. I chose to move towards my weak hand side: turn leaving the gun pointing downrange, eject old magazine and go for the new magazine, sprint, and insert the magazine only when I was moving downrange again.

good advice, I tend to reload totally before I start to move up-range.  I like keeping my gun pointing down range especially if my shoulder need to rotate.