Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is my slide cracking? If so, what to do...

N3WWN

The slide on my primary Limited gun has developed a crack of sorts.  Since the slide is finished with Cerakote Elite and a Gun Candy top coat, I'm not sure if the crack is in the finish or in the slide itself.

20180717_073427.thumb.jpg.22e21625fe3e7b7aa3d4974e887eed62.jpg

20180717_073303.thumb.jpg.2981a34b982e26b62e04c768cb6e395b.jpg

I can't see or feel (using cleaning picks, for instance) the crack on the inside of the slide or in slide wall/ejection port.

Is there a way to tell if the slide is cracked/cracking or if this is limited to the finish?  

If the slide is cracking, is it safe to continue to shoot it?  How many 170 PF rounds could you put through a slide that is cracking?

Also, if it is cracking, what are my options?  Can I replace just the slide?  Do I need to replace the slide and barrel together?  

I've looked into barrels and have an idea of the fitting required for a bull barrel, but can't find a lot online about fitting a new slide to an existing frame.  Most slide fitting info if for fitting a slide and frame to each other during initial building.  If it matters, I would have to fit everything by hand - I don't have access to machining or milling equipment.

I really like this pistol and can't afford to buy another one (unless I can find a used one for sale somewhere).  With USPSA Nationals coming up in a couple of months, I'm trying to figure out what's up and what my options are...

Just keep shooting for now. It will grow if its a problem.

Likely could get by with just fitting a new slide. I wouldn't attempt doing it myself, personally.

ETA - Guy above knows more than me...

Edited by wgj3

Used to be old school gunsmiths would weld 'er up. Now, slides are cheap, its the fitting that's expensive. But you will need a new one soon. Might want to take really good look at your barrel as well just to be sure... 

Edited by sfinney

Thanks for the responses, folks! [emoji16]

It's a factory gun and figured the modifications I made to it would have voided the warranty and that they wouldn't touch it. That'd leave me fixing it myself or finding a gunsmith to send it to who I've never met.

But, I just heard back from the manufacturer's Chief Gunsmith and they are sending me an RMA. I was also promised I'd have it back "way before nats"... so I'm a really happy boy now! ?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 7/20/2018 at 12:18 AM, N3WWN said:

Thanks for the responses, folks! emoji16.png

It's a factory gun and figured the modifications I made to it would have voided the warranty and that they wouldn't touch it. That'd leave me fixing it myself or finding a gunsmith to send it to who I've never met.

But, I just heard back from the manufacturer's Chief Gunsmith and they are sending me an RMA. I was also promised I'd have it back "way before nats"... so I'm a really happy boy now! ?

That’s awesome. I don’t believe you can find that kind of customer service even with the more expensive makes or custom shops nowadays. Please keep us posted of the results.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:41 AM, Powder Finger said:

might want to drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it. then replace after nat's.

I got about 2500 rounds more through this open gun slide before the crack jumped the hole.

SlideCrack_3.jpg

Stop_Drill_1.jpg

RIA slides are can be found for around $100. You could most likely replace it with another without fitting.
Yeah, I found some at Advanced Tactical (Armscor/RIA parts site) and narrowed it down to 3 different options, but was unsure which one to go with. Seems like a fun project for the future, tho! I've got a 1911 commander that I'd like to convert to 40 as my Single Stack backup gun.

That’s awesome. I don’t believe you can find that kind of customer service even with the more expensive makes or custom shops nowadays. Please keep us posted of the results.
Gun was delivered to the gunsmith yesterday... now the waiting begins [emoji6]