Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you set a match budget for the year?

I shoot every local match I can, but at least two of those per month are free in exchange for setup or r.o.ing. 

Big matches are not worth it to me, the novelty is gone, you are screwed if something pops up with the weather or your health, and the match fee-gas-food-lodging costs really add up fast. I will go to the Missouri state match (good lodging prices, good match fee, not that far, unique match with gobs of steel) and work a instate match or two when needed (more to help the club sponsoring than for the shooting) and that is all. 

My three Whittington FCSA trips are budgeted into the equation, but as much for available time off as much as cost.

But with ammo, accommodations, and travel they are 1K+ per weekend.  The local matches are no worry, if not otherwise

involved I go.  Ammo and a few bucks to enter, a Sunday morning and 45 mins travel time.

For State Matches we have it this year for the second year - it's like a local except with higher entry fee, no big.

But 3hrs or 8hrs to States - with everything else will require Time and money budgeting for the next four years.

I really don't have a budget for shooting.  I work alternating weekends, so I shoot the weekends i'm off.  The novelty for major matches is gone for me also.  I'm fortunate to live close to Universal Shooting Academy which hosts several major matches a year for different disciplines, so attending one is only a 90 minute drive.  I'm really content shooting local matches with my kids.