Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

About to take the dive on a custom 2011 for limited

Currently shooting production, and want to switch over to limited as I live in a free state.  I am leaning towards atlas but I figure I could get some anecdotal input onto who the community's favorite manufacturer of 2011s is and why

I've been leaning towards Atlas as well.  I've heard good things about Adam and as far as custom guns go their price point seems very reasonable.  I don't know if I want to spring for the nemesis or stick with the titan yet however.  But I am still open to hearing other thoughts regarding places such as Akai etc

I am not against going pre-built per se, but I figure if I am already going to shell out money for a new STI, might as well just front the extra cash to get the extra bit.  I know I can always upgrade an STI, but I like having the best of the best, and not have to worry about it much in the future.  Buy once cry once is my mentality here 

5 minutes ago, Beardsli said:

Anything against going with a prebuilt?

I've got a CRP Edge that I really like, and you can pretty easily find a used STI around $1500, with a couple of magazines.  A custom gun would be awesome if I had the means, but I think that if funds are limited you can easily get by with a pre-built or a used custom.

I went Atlas. Was thinking Titan, but ended up going Nemesis and haven't looked back. Why don't you give both Atlas and Akai a call and talk to them. Tell them what you are looking for out of a gun and they will help you decide which is for you. Either way you're going to get a great gun. 

After reading through many of the same themed posts the one constant I have walked away with is that the response are purely opinion based. I believe most shooters that have custom guns have chosen their builder based on their friends thoughts and perhaps the ability to shoot those guns. Now that the disclaimer is covered, I have 2 Limited guns built by Shay Akai and I love those guns. I have enjoyed working with Shay and his crew and they take care of their customers. I believe that Atlas is a worthy consideration based on other posts I have read. The common thread in a custom gun is that it won’t be available for some time and the cost of any builder’s gun is comparable to the next builder’s gun. Best of luck with whatever choice you make and have fun ?

2 minutes ago, Aggieddad02 said:

, I have 2 Limited guns built by Shay Akai and I love those guns

Awesome! I have to ask, are either stroked? I see that Akai seems to stroke all their guns but on the Atlas website they advise against stroking a gun built for limited.  Do you have any thoughts on this?

16 minutes ago, m-cz-shadow-2 said:

Awesome! I have to ask, are either stroked? I see that Akai seems to stroke all their guns but on the Atlas website they advise against stroking a gun built for limited.  Do you have any thoughts on this?

It's my understanding that this mostly serves to stabilize the dot on an open gun, so I'm not sure how useful delaying recoil would be on a limited gun.

You can’t go wrong with either of those top shelf builders. 

The weakpoints in a limited gun system are the mags, hand loads and person holding the gun! 

I only have experience with Atlas (40 Tian) but it has been 100% positive. The gun has been flawless and Adam helped me out a lot. Never seen better customer service. 

1 hour ago, Paulie said:

You can’t go wrong with either of those top shelf builders. 

The weakpoints in a limited gun system are the mags, hand loads and person holding the gun! 

I only have experience with Atlas (40 Tian) but it has been 100% positive. The gun has been flawless and Adam helped me out a lot. Never seen better customer service. 

Do you have any experience with the Pre-tuned mags that Atlas offers?  I've been window-licking a nemesis custom - and if you're gonna spend 6 grand, you might as well make it 7 and get a new set of magazines.

5 hours ago, m-cz-shadow-2 said:

Currently shooting production, and want to switch over to limited as I live in a free state.  I am leaning towards atlas but I figure I could get some anecdotal input onto who the community's favorite manufacturer of 2011s is and why

If you shoot at Rio, I should have my Atlas in 9mm in about a month, month and a half. You're welcome to take a look at it when I have it. 

1 hour ago, pjb45 said:

Well, with the 2 Eddies in town why don't you contact them.  Their service is excellent.

I'm not familiar with them, could you fill me in?

2 minutes ago, dthomas1003 said:

If you shoot at Rio, I should have my Atlas in 9mm in about a month, month and a half. You're welcome to take a look at it when I have it. 

I usually go to Ben Avery, however I make it down on weekends occasionally, I will look you up when I'm headed that way!

1 hour ago, HalfBastard said:

Do you have any experience with the Pre-tuned mags that Atlas offers?  I've been window-licking a nemesis custom - and if you're gonna spend 6 grand, you might as well make it 7 and get a new set of magazines.

Get the mags from Atlas. Great deal. 

I currently have 2 Open guns from Akai and sold a Limited Akai to get those. So of course I am going to say go Akai, not that ATLAS are bad guns, they are nice as well. 

As for the stroked question, that is 50/50 with most people, but to me most are just personal opinions, there is some physics behind it. I can feel a difference, I have one open that is stroked and the other is not. The stroked one is def softer shooting with less dot movement. 

In my old limited gun, I had one that was stroked and one that was not. I could def see let sight movement and it felt softer as well. 

Shay has always answered my question, phone calls, text, Facebook, on Sunday during a match, whenever I have contacted him he has been quick to respond. 

Edited by TRPOperator

15 hours ago, HalfBastard said:

I got a Nemesis with a set of mags. It was a great deal and they have run 100%. I also like having the round count witness holes. He has a bunch of videos that go into a lot of detail about mag tuning, so you can definitely check them out and follow along if you have mags you want to tune yourself. He has definitely done a lot of development on sorting out the shortcomings the gen2 STI mags to get them to run. (Others may have also, but he's the only one I know of sharing it publicly). Atlas / Akai I'd be happy to have either, the Akai's look great I'd like to shoot one of their sleeved guns and videos back that up, but I haven't bumped into on in the wild to shoot myself yet. 

After a few months of reading on here and speaking with a few different builders I elected for an Atlas Nemesis.  Should have it in about a month.  For me it was the customer service, peer reviews, and looks that sold me on Atlas.  Some of the other builders mentioned here build some fine guns I’d be proud to own.  Really depends on your budget and turn around time.  Akai was other that came highly recommended.  Both build a top tier 2011.  

Edited by nutzach

On 7/18/2018 at 3:32 PM, m-cz-shadow-2 said:

Both of the guns are stroked and my perception is that you can tell a difference in the recoil of those guns compared to guns I have owned that were not stroked.  Hopefully you will have an opportunity to shoot an Akai gun and make that assessment on your own experience.  Good luck 

Edited by Aggieddad02