Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bipod placement

ffgats

Hi

Just bought a Bipod for my AR basically for my 3Gunning, need your experience and opinion on where to attached the thing, is it closer to the muzzle  or in the mid part of the barrel lenght. btw I got am 18.5 bbl for my rifle. thanks

So, to answer the question that you're actually asking: if you are mounting a bipod without any intention of taking it off regularly, you probably want to go close to the end of the handguard, closer to the muzzle.

To answer the questions that you didn't actually ask, but that might be relevant:

In pretty much every 3 gun ruleset I'm familiar with, bipods are only allowed in Open, so if you're not ready to jump into the world of red dots on everything, I'd just leave the bipod off entirely. Even if you are going Open: I don't shoot Open, but I've squadded with plenty of Open shooters at a bunch of different matches, and I've never seen any of them leave the bipod on their rifle for every single stage. If it's not going to be useful in a particular stage, it's just dead weight. Everyone that I've seen uses some kind of QD attachment (M-Lok, Keymod, etc.) and will only put the bipod on if the stage calls for it - for example, if there's lots of long range rifle from a prone position. If you're doing that, then I'd imagine that the specific placement of the bipod will also vary from stage to stage based on any quirks of the position you're shooting from, though the "default" option is still being placed up front.

23 hours ago, lefty o said:

the closer to the muzzle, the more stable the entire platform will be.

That is true but the further back it is the further you can pivot to transition to targets without moving the bipod

Ineill attach mine in either place depending on the target array.