Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not much love for Wilson AR9?

Been enjoying a JP gmr15 bought new at a discount, competitive and fun  to shoot.   Wife is interested in shooting one, right before we ordered hers a friend suggested looking at the Wilson.   Not much info in discussions around here, whats the low down on the Wilson 9mm??

some search was not overly enthusiastic?

Edited by fastarget

Wilson makes some nice guns, but for the price of their AR’s you can get something much cheaper and use the extra money to get ammo. I have look at their guns and fired a few, but I can not justify the price they want for them.

I bought a WC 5.56 barrel once... when I opened the box it had “bad” written on it in black magic marker. I called them, waited 20 minutes to talk to someone and I explained the situation and the guy says, “you are shitting me?” I couldn’t believe it either dude... they sent me a new barrel but I never bought anything else. 

42 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Yep. For that money a person wants it to operate flawlessly. And it doesn't. So most people who aren't just into having WC products will find something else instead.

I agree with that, too bad infinity does not make PCCs.  Well back to a JP, mine (gmr15) ran flawlessly for 500, and now the linkage between the bolt release and the part that contacts the magazine follower is broken(broken at the mag release, so no bolt open on empty).  Contacted them a few days ago and still waiting for reply.   May need to find out what is the most reliable lower and put something together myself for my lovely bride.

When I bought mine, there were not a lot of good premium options, GMR-15 wasn't out, CK Arms, CMMG, not out yet.  And yes I like Wilson Combat stuff.

My bolt-hold-open lever broke in the first 200 rounds, they replaced it and it has run like a top since, as long as I use ammo it likes.  The one factory ammo I've found it DOESN'T like for sure is the Winchester 147gr T&D ammo.  Can't use puny 115gr/124gr ammo, but it shoots pretty much all other factory ammo fine.  Other than that, I'm still loving mine, refuse to take a bath trying to sell it, so I shoot it at any major matches I go to.  My go to load now is the Gallant 125gr RN bullet under 3.8 N320, 1.155 OAL.  Low recoil and runs great.

I wouldn't buy it today - there ARE better options, although I'm not convinced the GMR-15 is the best.  :)

• 2 months later...
54 minutes ago, Sidewinder6 said:

Reviving this older thread, I am trying to find out if anyone has installed a hiperfire in this PCC platform??  

I have one in a gun I took on trade. So far so good. I really can't tell much diff between it and my POF trigger.

I saw BJ Norris at the 2017 World Speed Shooting Championships shooting his Wilson AR9. It was a single shot rifle on a few strings on at least two stages, basically took him out of the running for PCC. I’m sure they are better now and they are good looking guns, but I would have expected much better from Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, could be ammo or mag related. Also things are going to break eventually on any platform from any mfg. Quality parts may last longer, but there's no guarantees. No dog in the fight, as I think they're overpriced for a blowback AR.