Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old STI Edge accuracy issues

ChrisRR

So, I have an older STI Edge 40S&W (about 10 years old) with perhaps approaching 10k rounds through it.  I'd like to sell it, make room in the safe and all that, but it suffers from an accuracy issue I've not been able to get to the bottom of.  The pistol is reliable and appears to lock up/head space correctly but groups at 30 yards are less than impressive.  Shooting 200gr plated bullets  (0.40", 170PF) I'll see 8" with fliers out to 12".  Shooting 165gr plated projectiles (0.40", 170PF) sees the group shrink to 5" or so.  The coated lead projectiles I normally shoot were awful, some not even connecting with the IPSC classic target (30 yards).  I thinking the bore of the barrel may be the issue rather than the barrel fitment given the way groups vary with projectile type?  If so, I guess the thing to do is fit another barrel.  The current barrel slugs at 0.40...

17 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Have you checked the muzzle, could need recrowned.

Does accuracy change with Lead or Jacketed. 

I've not had good luck with some barrels and plated bullets.

Yeah, that's a thought.  Crown does 'look' OK however.  The lead was the worst of the lot, the plated projectiles, particularly the lighter ones work a bit better.  Having said that I now recall that I've seen no key-holing/tumbling bullets, only clean holes which implies they are spinning up OK.

How is the barrel fit in respects to the slide at the business end? Any movement? I know you said it locks up nicely, but if there's movement up front there it could be a factor. 

Also, what is the twist of the barrel? 1x16 is pretty much the standard, however I shoot a 1x24 that likes a longer bullet better.

The barrel could be a red herring here too. Are your sights tight? I shot a match where my rear sight had slight play in it and threw everything off. Didn't realize it until I broke down the gun and inspected it. 

Have you tried factory ammo thru it

on both coated and plated bullets you have to be careful with the crimp, to much and you could cut the plating/coating which would cause accuracy issues, also are you running a FCD which might stage the bullets undersized

7 hours ago, schaet said:

How is the barrel fit in respects to the slide at the business end? Any movement? I know you said it locks up nicely, but if there's movement up front there it could be a factor. 

Also, what is the twist of the barrel? 1x16 is pretty much the standard, however I shoot a 1x24 that likes a longer bullet better.

The barrel could be a red herring here too. Are your sights tight? I shot a match where my rear sight had slight play in it and threw everything off. Didn't realize it until I broke down the gun and inspected it. 

Well, its tight at the muzzle no doubt, I can't find any movement there.  The twist rate is 1:16 I believe, pretty standard...

3 hours ago, rishii said:

Have you tried factory ammo thru it

on both coated and plated bullets you have to be careful with the crimp, to much and you could cut the plating/coating which would cause accuracy issues, also are you running a FCD which might stage the bullets undersized

No FCD but I haven't tried factory either.  At $1/round here its not something I'm rich enough for......but decent projectiles should be fine I would think, they are in my other 40 cal pistols.

25 minutes ago, GringoBandito said:

You could always send it to Bobby at freedom gunworks and have him tune it up for you.

I had him install a kkm barrel in mine along with slide lightening. c3703d3f1ce3f2bc2317f31a8939d400.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Would you mind saying how much a "tune-up" like yours costs? I do have a close to stock Edge that might be a good candidate for a make over. ?

About $1350 but I had him build me a new gun (with original slide) and chose the most expensive coating option You can get a tune up and with a new barrel, slide lightening and re coat for less.

Call Bobby. He is great at discussing options over the phone.

Btw I got this gun last Wednesday and ran 700 rounds through it and it runs perfect and is extremely accurate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Look at your slide stop. The pin supports the lower lug and the pin can wear down over time. A new slide stop tightens up the barrel to slide lockup and improves accuracy. 

Edited by 72stick
improves