Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 Shell Plate Lock Ring Stuck

Bought a used Dillon 1050, it was extremely dirty so I am attempting to do a tear down to clean all of its parts. Unfortunately I am stuck at attempting remove the shell plate lock ring. Reading the Dillon instructions and consulting many Youtube videos the lock ring should be close to hand tight and its not. 

So now I am looking for any tips on how to remove a stuck shell plate?

You never know.. had to ask. I can't think of a single reason why it would be stuck other than rust. Put some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for a few days to see if that helps.

I hear kroil is pretty good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I can't think of a single reason why it would be stuck other than rust.

I hear kroil is pretty good.

...unless it was cross threaded and gorilla’ed on. Let’s hope it is just rust.

Kroil is the ticket then. Love that stuff. Keep multiple cans dotted all over the shop.

Kroil and Aeroshell 66/33ms, it’s like aromatherapy for men.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check the shellplate lock ring and make sure someone did not add a setscrew to lock the ring in place. We have seen this modification done on other used machines sent in for service work.

If the threads get powder residue in them, it can make it hard to install or remove the lock ring.  I loaded A TON of tiny tiny ball powders(A1680, H335, Titegroup) on my 1050 and constantly had to clean out the threads before disassembly or assembly.

I would grab it with a strap wrench if you can OR some channel locks with a microfiber towel or the like on the jaws.  It'll come off.

2 hours ago, dillon said:

Check the shellplate lock ring and make sure someone did not add a setscrew to lock the ring in place. We have seen this modification done on other used machines sent in for service work.

Hey thanks for taking the time to respond. I was able to get it off with some MacGyvering. Put 3 screws in the shell plate locator tab screw holes and then tapped each with a hammer one by one.

2 hours ago, icestud said:

Not being a smart ass, but try Google

Oh man trust me I did. Let me respond with this though. Just to show there was not many links on the matter.

http://bfy.tw/J6Ca

2 hours ago, icestud said:

Sorry I should have copied your question, you asked “Where can I pick up this Kroil”

Lol this is true, it was pricier than I expected. Was hoping someone had cheap place.

• 2 weeks later...

soak ot in Kroll oil, Blaster or liquis wrench.  Strap wrench works or a set of channel locks with a rag or tape to keep from scratching it up.  Work it back and forth----- she'll come off.  I had exactly the same problem.   When you do get it off and you will really clean threads with something like a brass brush.  

1 hour ago, jim m said:

soak ot in Kroll oil, Blaster or liquis wrench.  Strap wrench works or a set of channel locks with a rag or tape to keep from scratching it up.  Work it back and forth----- she'll come off.  I had exactly the same problem.   When you do get it off and you will really clean threads with something like a brass brush.  

Appreciate the response. Was able to get it off. Ended up needing to put some machine screws in the lock ring set screws and tap them to loosen, then using an oil filter wrench it came off.

Laxman2809--

don't get too heavy with the grease.  I use Mobil 1 sparingly.  Powder gets in the threads and gums it up.  General maintenance is the key.  Great utube on tearing down. lubing and ass'y.  Check it out.  Have fun!