Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Storing and transporting a broken down shotgun?

ClangClang

I have to break down my shotgun every time I travel due to length. So at home, I keep it disassembled in the safe. I just have the barrel and magazine tube kinda leaning against other rifles and they've fallen over once or twice and gotten scuffed. Also, when disassembled,  the receiver, action, and action spring are all exposed (Franchi Affinity) which doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies for lots of reasons... dust ingress, exposure to damage, etc. Does anyone have a more elegant and better solution for storing a broken down shotgun?

And on a similar note, when transporting, has anyone come up with a good solution for protecting the barrel, magazine tube, and keeping them from clanking together? Also, what about protecting the magazine spring from getting squished/bent? Maybe a little mini pelican case?

i just keep my shotguns assembled (pickup truck and big safe), but they did come with takedown cases, do you have or can you get something like that?  prob won't fit extended tubes but those don't need as much love & attention as the receiver, barrel, etc.

I'm hoping not to have to buy any new cases. I already have completely run out of room to store my current flock of padded cases, pelicans, etc and really don't need any more.

I'd much rather just find some sort of twin-tubed padded sleeve that will hold the barrel and mag tube and protect them, but that's pretty easy to jury-rig. Worst case scenario I could just use those long silicone gun socks. Finding something that wraps around the exposed action is a little harder.

On 7/17/2018 at 10:46 PM, ClangClang said:

IWorst case scenario I could just use those long silicone gun socks.

Why's that a bad solution (nevermind "worst case scenario"). 

If it were me, I would just leave it assembled...

45 minutes ago, Bimmer said:

Why's that a bad solution (nevermind "worst case scenario").

Only because I was hoping for something with a little more padding between each of the elements. A gun sock will protect from gentle routine clanking, but not an actual drop.

If it were me, I would just leave it assembled...

Not an option. Too long to fit in my Pelican for flights. I fly to a couple matches every year.

Edited by ClangClang