Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Effective Live Fire Training

Pirate

Worked my way to Lim A class then had to take a year off off due to deployment..so I’m just getting back into shooting (switching to open too) and currently getting back into my routine to get back into game shape. I like to start with a few shots at a white paster from 7-10yds to polish the fundamentals and aiming small. Then i move to draw and shoot 1 a few times. Then onto draw shoot 2. Next up is the Bill drill. Then onto the Blake drill. Then my personal favorite the accelerator/decelator and for this the furthest target set at around 40yds(really helps those 25’s look super big) all the previous mentioned is my usual core drills.  After all that it’s on to movement drills and some match type scenarios which vary each time...maybe something I saw in a match or expect in an upcoming match. Lastly I always try to finish with a little strong/weak hand. This is kind of a general flow that I typically follow...obviously vary it up...try something new to keep your self and the insurgency guessing ? I like to practice with others to learn new drills and routines etc when the opportunity arises. 

Here's what comes to mind if I were to go out and live-fire practice right now.

1) Draw and one shot at various distances.

2) Draw and two shots at various distances.

3) Bill Drill.

4) CM 03-11 El Strong & Weak Pres.  Someone else on the forum pointed this one out.  I haven't shot this classifier yet, but I should drill on it.

5) Some non-classifier stage that has movement, probably something from Ben Stoeger's Skills and Drills.

I like Steel Challenge, so I would also drill on Outer Limits, Smoke and Hope, and Pendulum.  Those three stages are quite different from each other and pretty much cover what you need to do well in a Steel Challenge.  And next time out I'd drill on a different combination of SC stages.

Edited by GunBugBit

What drills you need to run depends on what you currently suck at. Doing random drills in hopes of getting better won't produce a very effective or lasting improvement. Step 1 is writing down all of the skills you know you suck at then select drills that will exercise those skills.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I find these drills to be good at becoming a better all around shooter. Sure you can identify areas that can bring the biggest roi, but if you want a set of drills that you can set a baseline and measure progress these various drills work well if you have an hour and 125 rounds to shoot. I am usually so one of the practice drills which is setup like 6 stages. You can practice your mental game and find you set as Beni’s would say. Credit goes to Dave Re, not my drills but I used them a lot. 

Great advice so far, but I also think you need to limit the number of drills you perform on one day. 2-3 skills at a time, no more.

As Cha-Lee says, this all depends on what you need to work on most at any given time.

Common drills for me currently (not at the same time obviously) as I work on shooting sooner and accuracy:

-Bill Drill

-Blake Drill

-El Prez

-Accellerator

-Small dot accuracy drills at 7/10 yds

-Large dot accuracy drills at 25 yds

-WHO and SHO drills at 10 yds

A couple of months ago, I was really focused on movement drills and entry and exit work. Still have a long way to go there, but right now, my biggest needs are addressed by the list above.

I use all the drills above for different things. I look at in the last two matches I shot what were my weakest parts, based on my perception and videos taken. I will then use drills that work on those components of shooting. I will still throw in some accuracy work as fundamentals can never be worked enough. 

I always have a plan of what I am trying to work on before going to the range. 

Whatever needs improvement (and that list is longer than I can do in one day).

I'm trying to get the hang of singlestack shooting. Last time I shot at moderately long distance. So today I went a little closer. A couple of Vice Presidentes, and then some scenarios with shoot - reload while moving - shoot - reload while moving - shoot. Throw in a couple where I reload while retreating diagonally.

I seem to have some trouble getting a good grip on the new magazines. There's one thing to look at in dry fire.

Edited by perttime

For me, distance change up drill 100rds. 

Some draws on ~20yd steel, transition to some close paper and run it the other way too. 

Finish with an array of 3-5 targets in the fashion of the above drills in Match Mode.