Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone move from Limited to CO or Production?

gunz213

This is my first year shooting USPSA, but I've shot 2 gun and unsanctioned IDPA in the past. Right now I'm shooting a 6" and 4" 2011 in .40 but all my other pistols are 9mm so I've been thinking about selling off my 2011's and getitng a Shadow 2 and maybe a SP-01 to try carry optics. I have a G19 with a RMR now so I like shooting with a RMR but I prefer the feel of a metal frame.

Has anyone dumped their limited gear and regreted it later?

Three of the people I shoot with left Limited and tried CO.  No one has gone back yet.  One liked CO so much he moved to Open.  CO lets you use optics and 140 mags.  So you shoot the stages like you would in Limited, but with optics.  Open is even more fun, because the toys are nicer.

1 hour ago, gunz213 said:

This is my first year shooting USPSA, but I've shot 2 gun and unsanctioned IDPA in the past. Right now I'm shooting a 6" and 4" 2011 in .40 but all my other pistols are 9mm so I've been thinking about selling off my 2011's and getitng a Shadow 2 and maybe a SP-01 to try carry optics. I have a G19 with a RMR now so I like shooting with a RMR but I prefer the feel of a metal frame.

Has anyone dumped their limited gear and regreted it later?

Shoot you're Glock with rmr in CO next match. See if you like it. 

I started in prod and now shoot Lim but will try CO. 

They all seem fun. Gotta try them all to see which I/you like best. 

Edited by B_RAD

11 minutes ago, gunz213 said:

I just can’t afford to do both right now and I like my 2011’s, but I think I’d shoot them more if they were 9mm. 

I’ll probably try the Glock next time I shoot and see how it goes. 

I tried CO, wasnt for me, went back to limited.  I am guessing that since you would shoot more in 9mm guns that you dont reload.  If that is the case, get a press before you go any further, you will be happy you did

I reload 223, 9mm and .40 on my 550B when I have time. Everything else is loaded on a single stage RCBS press, only trouble is finding time to load ammo. For that reason its nice to only worry about one bulk pistol caliber for the next year or two. 

I started shooting early 2018 and did all my matches in the Limited category.  That allowed me to learn the mechanics / logistics.  Now I am more confident about planning and executing in my matches.  Since I own a CZ, I am now going to go to production and focus on the specific skills of that category, i.e. reloads!  Good luck!

I would caution against just dumping your Limited gear and guns. I started out just like most people in Limited. Then I got a great deal on a SS and shot that for several months. What I found was that I progressed much quicker in USPSA shooting the SS. Concentrating on making every shot count made me a much better shooter. It was a night and day difference the next time I shot Limited. Depending on my mood and the fact I have the opportunity to shoot several matches a month, I'll shoot either Limited or SS. I won't ever ditch the gear for any of the divisions I shoot.

I can’t decide if I’m a Limited, CO, or SS shooter. 

I REALLY enjoy CO, but I wish there was more participation in my area. At the last club match I went to, there were over 30 Limited shooters, and 6 CO. 

Been in this game over 20 years.  Started with a sig 226, then went to a ss colt commander, to a ss Springfield.  Shot ss for about 10 years, got a deal on a sti 40 and shot that for about 3 years.  Got tired of all the maintenance and keeping up with all the latest gizmos.  Bought a Glock 17, liked production, got a 34 and never looked back.  Eyes are going to s#!t so I got a slide for the 17 had it milled for co and been shooting that for about 6 months.  I still like production because of the challenges, iron sights, accuracy and plenty of reloads, plus stage planning.  Shooting co is almost cheating, if it wasn’t for my eyes I would stay with production and shooting a Glock.  Easily maintained, runs great, lots of aftermarket support.  Shoot what is fun unless, your in it to win, and then go with a 2011 platform and have plenty of money.

I started shooting limited minor so that I could load my mags appropriately (full).  I got tired of getting passed in points so I switched to production.  Although I miss being able to load my magazines the way they were meant to be loaded I have enjoyed the challenge of production.  You will need to give yourself some time to adjust to reloading sans magwell.  I didn't realize how much of a crutch that thing had become.