Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm buffer in 223 carbine?

mike4045

Has anyone tried it. I did by accident this weekend. The gun ran and so soft you could barely tell it fired. I put the solid steel 9mm buffer in the gun to check fit of everything, because I did have a standard buffer on hand. Took it out last night and ran 100 rounds thru and zeroed weapon. I don't know if it will hurt anything doing this. Tempted to shoot a match with it to see what happens. I am using a standard carbine spring and regular gas block. 

• 4 weeks later...

I could be wrong....but aren't .223 carbine and 9MM buffers different lengths?

I'm running a .223 carbine H2 buffer in one of my 9MM ARs and I had to add spacers at the back of the  buffer tube (why is this thing adding a link to my text????) to adjust the bolt travel vs. bolt stop to keep from eventually breaking the bolt stop.

If you put a true 9MM buffer in the .223 carbine buffer tube will the bolt go back far enough to lock back when the magazine goes empty?

Some 9mm buffers are extended and some are the same length as a carbine buffer. A "generic" 9mm buffer would be carbine length and weigh about 5.5 oz. or similar to an H3. 

Google "ar buffer weights chart" and you will see more then you never wanted to know about buffers.