Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

definition of "Standing"

A stage in this past weekend's match had a start position that read something like "standing in front of port, both hands on bottom of port".  My plan was to immediately drop a knee on the start signal, and shoot through the port.  It was a low port, so I started very low, with one knee an inch above the ground, the idea being that standing means only feet on the ground.  I was one inch from "taking a knee".    No one on my squad was aware of a more rigid definition of "standing", so I went with it. But, I thought I'd bring it up here...   was my stage start legit?  

19 minutes ago, obsessiveshooter said:

A stage in this past weekend's match had a start position that read something like "standing in front of port, both hands on bottom of port".  My plan was to immediately drop a knee on the start signal, and shoot through the port.  It was a low port, so I started very low, with one knee an inch above the ground, the idea being that standing means only feet on the ground.  I was one inch from "taking a knee".    No one on my squad was aware of a more rigid definition of "standing", so I went with it. But, I thought I'd bring it up here...   was my stage start legit?  

Was the port so low that all shooters could not assume an "erect or upright position"?  If so, than I would go with standing is the state of not kneeling. :devil:

(BTW: There is no definition of standing in Appendix A3.)

1 minute ago, Racinready300ex said:

How much time do you think that gained you? Any idea what your 1st shot was compared to others on that stage?

I think the discussion is it allowable, not is it smart  :roflol:

It has long been a standard that "standing" is synonymous with "standing erect", although the latter phrase is technically incorrect. Standing does mean erect but since everyone tries to game stages, the standing erect (as noted in 8.2.2 and start positions) is there to further clarify. I am really surprised there wasn't an RO around to ensure the consistently in the start position. Start positions are not freestyle and the WSB can be modified at any time to clarify it even more if need be.

IDK about the particular stage and description the OP references, but a lot of shooters seem to think "standing, facing uprange" means tucked into a half-crouch, curled in a ball perched atop feet that are kinda square to uprange.  They also seem to think "wrists above shoulders" means wrists at or around the middle of the pectoral muscle, as measured before bending at the waist.  

Some shooters seems very bemused when I'm running the timer and actually pay attention to this stuff.  

3 hours ago, ATLDave said:

IDK about the particular stage and description the OP references, but a lot of shooters seem to think "standing, facing uprange" means tucked into a half-crouch, curled in a ball perched atop feet that are kinda square to uprange.  They also seem to think "wrists above shoulders" means wrists at or around the middle of the pectoral muscle, as measured before bending at the waist.  

Some shooters seems very bemused when I'm running the timer and actually pay attention to this stuff.  

Yep one time I was RO and it said stand facing up range hands above shoulders.  The shooter wanted to start crouched half turned with his hands up but,  on the same side of his head almost touching. Lol. This did not work.lol f*#king gamers. Lol

Edited by usmc1974

How much time do you think that gained you? Any idea what your 1st shot was compared to others on that stage?
I'm sure it gained me some time, but it was an unloaded start so there were other tasks before first shot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It sounds to me like I was fine, since 'standing' was used instead of 'standing erect', at least since no RO chose to clarify. Am I wrong on that?
No apologies for "gaming" from me, I just want to be within the technicalities of the stage description. This is a game after all.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

When I first saw the title of this thread, it reminded me of when Slick Willie was being deposed and responded to a question with "depends on what you define is is...

My normal start position is my knees slight bent, feet toward the balls of my feet and my right hand just below my holster (elbow slightly bent). Having grown up in a military family, standing erect would be standing at attention and I'm not even close to that. But I've never had an RO call me on it.

As for the OP, in 8.2.2 "Unless otherwise specified, the competitor must stand erect..." I guess you'd have to argue that by omission of the word "erect" the WSB was otherwise specified.

Edited by Mcfoto

RO could possibly argue this point from Appendix A3

Movement........................Taking more than one step in any direction, or changing body position (e.g. from standing to kneeling,

from seated to standing etc)