Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
WaynePatrick

Decapping before you clean brass

Recommended Posts

www.mightyarmory.com

 

Message us from our website if you have questions. We’ll be glad to offer you Reloading tips and product information.

3E19849E-9C66-4D45-8442-F74AC45F1A74.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t for years and don’t believe you truly have to unless your shooting some other disciplines like FTR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think those that wet clean have to decap prior to cleaning in order for the stainless steel media not to get stuck inside the flash holes and get wedged into primer anvils.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tanks said:

I think those that wet clean have to decap prior to cleaning in order for the stainless steel media not to get stuck inside the flash holes and get wedged into primer anvils.

It won't clean the primer pockets if the primer is still in. And it will take much longer to dry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do it, in a large volume, but I also prime, in a large volume, before loading as it really makes it go faster and with less problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't because it's an extra step, but I let the brass dry for weeks before using it so it has plenty of time to dry. I can't see running the cases through the press twice (or handling it twice). I started using pins, but then tried without them and am satisfied with the results so I don't use pins anymore. (another step eliminated).  I go for speed and volume, I only load 9 Major and this is my tumbler. I've about worn it out, it's getting real noisy but it was cheap (on sale at Harbor Freight). I only run it for an hour, so I go into the house where I don't have to listen to it. I'll probably buy a better one when it finally gives up the ghost, but I'll run it till it drops.

IMG_20131122_094748_172 (Small).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tanks said:

I think those that wet clean have to decap prior to cleaning in order for the stainless steel media not to get stuck inside the flash holes and get wedged into primer anvils.

I tumble wet w/ steel media w/o depriming. No problem whatsoever. It also dries completely in an hour in my shell dryer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started to wet tumble my brass with pins and decided to deprime before cleaning. Using a decapping die and a single stage press, discovered how much primer residue would have been left on my S1050 if I stuck to dry tumbling. 

 

Cleaning with pins promote internal cleaning of the case and primer pocket. With a clean interior, I can easily see the powder level when loading. This helps me avoid a squib round. 

 

Extra work in depriming but less work in keeping my press clean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to deprime my 9mm before cleaning. I don't bother with 0.223 (I clean, then lube and resize and deprime, then clean again). I might start skipping depriming before cleaning the 9mm now though since the case dryer I have makes sure it's dry inside and out. With air drying, depriming helped a lot in drying the cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I deprime rifle cases so they dry faster. With straightwalls I don't bother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I deprime, before stainless pinning, anything I reload.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I wet tumble, I deprime all brass. It then goes into the dryer unless the outside temps allow natural drying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2018 at 4:53 PM, superluckycat said:

I'm way too lazy. 

Me also, plus the one time I did deprime the media stuck in the pocket's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decapped for a few years before wet tumbling, but realized that it takes just as long to decap as it does to load (one pull of crank for each case = one pull of the crank for a completed load).

 

Took me twice as long to get to my finished loads, so I stopped. I have ZERO issues with wet tumbling with the spent primer in, and I dry them in my brass dryer (i.e. "food dehydrator").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm way to lazy do wet clean. Seems like it takes forever. if a piece of brass doesn't come clean in my tumbler then it goes to the scrap bin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm back to wet tumbling for 1 hour without pins, then onto the brass dryer (dehydrator) for an hour.  I don't bother decapping 9mm or 45 before I clean, but I do decap 223, 243 & 308 before I clean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2018 at 6:36 PM, stick said:

I'm back to wet tumbling for 1 hour without pins, then onto the brass dryer (dehydrator) for an hour.  I don't bother decapping 9mm or 45 before I clean, but I do decap 223, 243 & 308 before I clean

You wet tumble without pins? Does it get the brass clean? Cleaner than walnut for say an hour? Interesting concept. The reason I stopped ss tumbling was the headache of separating the pins and brass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I recently went back to the wet tumbler after reading about using it without pins.  It does a great job.  Cleaner than my dillon with walnut and just as fast.  The inside isn't as clean without pins, but I really don't care about that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hitman_usmc said:

Yes, I recently went back to the wet tumbler after reading about using it without pins.  It does a great job.  Cleaner than my dillon with walnut and just as fast.  The inside isn't as clean without pins, but I really don't care about that.  

 

3 hours ago, cjsmith223 said:

You wet tumble without pins? Does it get the brass clean? Cleaner than walnut for say an hour? Interesting concept. The reason I stopped ss tumbling was the headache of separating the pins and brass. 

Hitman nailed the response

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stick said:

 

Hitman nailed the response

hmm... you have peaked my interest. you just using dish liquid and lemishine? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, cjsmith223 said:

hmm... you have peaked my interest. you just using dish liquid and lemishine? 

 

I've used dish soap and lemishine and it works fine.  I recently got armor all car wash/wax (and a pinch of lemishine) after some other people here mentioned they use it.  It's cheap at walmart and will last a long time.  Not sure if it's any better but it comes in a big bottle so I'm going to keep using it.    

 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Armor-All-Car-Wash-Concentrate-64oz-Auto-Wash-Car-Wash-Soap-Auto-Detail-11228G/16817381?athcpid=16817381&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=466001f5-70e2fbb5-3bca0abfa0ff0ce1&athena=true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hitman_usmc said:

 

I've used dish soap and lemishine and it works fine.  I recently got armor all car wash/wax (and a pinch of lemishine) after some other people here mentioned they use it.  It's cheap at walmart and will last a long time.  Not sure if it's any better but it comes in a big bottle so I'm going to keep using it.    

 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Armor-All-Car-Wash-Concentrate-64oz-Auto-Wash-Car-Wash-Soap-Auto-Detail-11228G/16817381?athcpid=16817381&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=466001f5-70e2fbb5-3bca0abfa0ff0ce1&athena=true

Thanks i think i may test this out this weekend and see how it works. i have a ss tumbler just setting there now that i never use. Thanks for the input!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cjsmith223 said:

hmm... you have peaked my interest. you just using dish liquid and lemishine? 

 

6 hours ago, hitman_usmc said:

 

I've used dish soap and lemishine and it works fine.  I recently got armor all car wash/wax (and a pinch of lemishine) after some other people here mentioned they use it.  It's cheap at walmart and will last a long time.  Not sure if it's any better but it comes in a big bottle so I'm going to keep using it.    

 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Armor-All-Car-Wash-Concentrate-64oz-Auto-Wash-Car-Wash-Soap-Auto-Detail-11228G/16817381?athcpid=16817381&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=466001f5-70e2fbb5-3bca0abfa0ff0ce1&athena=true

I use about a tablespoon size of Dawn and a pinch of lemishine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 to Lube and size, THEN clean. 

If it's muddy or dirty brass, give it a goid rise and dry it, then start

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...