Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trubor or CK Arms

Sonic52

Just looking to get my first open pistol, but I live in New Zealand where STI is the only brand available and an STI DVC open retails for over NZ $8k, (which is beyond my pay grade).  Thus potentially looking at the following options and would appreciate any input or views please on how they compare and which route you would recommend:-

1) Buy a standard STI Trubor for NZ $6k

2) Buy a CK ARMs Open Solution Pistol (no bells and whistles) for NZ $4.5k (inc import taxes etc)

3) Buy a CK ARMs Thunder variant (off the shelf) and import for NZ $6k

Obviously keen to avoid having to send a pistol back to the factory on a regular basis, so would appreciate any input on CK or STI reliability, value for money, after sales service or recommended upgrades.  The CK Open solution looks very similar to the Trubor but not sure if the Trubor has better components?

Thanks

Edited by Sonic52
origina,l submission incomplete

I've read a LOT about how great the CK's are, but own two TruBors.

Loved the TruBors, but I've heard the CK's have better components.

Have about 20,000 rounds on each TruBor.

Sorry about the price down there - I'd consider a CZ very heartily    :) 

I just went through the "Buy CK vs buy STI" wringer myself and ended up buying a CK, but I have to say it was a close decision.   I read all of the STI concerns on this forum and believe them, but I also know lots of guys that have STIs and are happy with them. 

Being in NZ the FIRST THING you need is a a gunsmith/ armorer  in NZ that can keep an open gun running..I have fixed issues in 2011/1911 built by just about every one( CK, STI, SVI,LIMCAT, ATLAS,  Gans, Cammerans,  FGW, Dawson,  Brazos, ect..) just to save friends matches or loung spells without their guns .. I only do full builds for myself and the ocasional vary good friend that is local to me.. bottom line 2011's are like race cars stuff wears out and brakes or goes out of tune.. sending things back to the US from NZ is crazy loung and probably  mega $$$