Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well I think i have finally done it

brnhp35

After 10 years and somewhere between 30k and 40k rounds I believe I have worn out my 610.  It was a pawn shop purchase so don't know history before me but I know I have put it through the ringer. Was shooting local match and partway through stage 4 of 6 the hammer stopped coming back ...cylinder spins and locks up tight ....went to safe area and did not see anything obviously broken (NO PARTS FELL OUT)  reassembled and still would not work ...two days later picked it up and it worked like nothing was wrong ..took it to range and ran about 80 rounds through it before could duplicate issue ....trip to my local smith is in its future 

and before suggestions are made ...already tried to talk to wife into a 8 shot but she's not buying it. 

Edited by brnhp35

Pretty low round count on that to have any major problems from wear. Hopefully it's something simple that an be replaced, and not a broken stud or something major. 

Edited by MWP

3 hours ago, brnhp35 said:

and before suggestions are made ...already tried to talk to wife into a 8 shot but she's not buying it. 

I’m trying to convince my better half that a 929 would pay for itself because 9mm is so much cheaper than .38 sp. ?

If you pull the trigger and the cylinder spins but the hammer doesn't come back the double action sear on the hammer isn't engaging. Most likely a broken or worn sear spring or broken hammer stud. 

Check for loose/broken hammer stud.  Had 3 break on different Smith's.  

2 different methods to repair.  Crowned Stud, cheapest and quickest as it doesn't require rebluing as it is soldered in.  Or original replacement which looks better.

Had a M28 I replaced with a crowned Stud, but the M29 I replaced with original type, as it looks better.

The crowned stud looks kind of like a rivet flush with the side of the frame.

Edited by pskys2

When i went digging it did not appear to be a broken stud but honestly did not look that close at that part ...i believe it is the double action sear ....will dig in again and see for sure ....broke the trigger stud a few years ago so could be 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw something similar happen to Elliot in a match, I think it was in Vegas. Turned out the double action sear was getting stuck back in the hammer. A little cleaning and maybe a little deburring of the slot the sear rides in would take care of it if that's it. Tell the wife the new MIM sears with all the extra clearance aren't prone to this failure and you need the 8 shooter.

Just noticed the date on this, I guess it's been resolved ?

Edited by Gregg K