Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have 147 gr round nose wanting to make recoil slowest as possible but still qualify

awayne

oh and no keyhole and lowest recoil but still qualify I know this is asking a lot and there is a science to reloading for sure but my 3.9 grain with the 147 and oal at 1.15 in length I am having what seems to be more recoil than 9mm 115 grain factory loads

Well, about all you could do is go to a faster powder, but I don't think that you are going to find one that you like. My load is 3.5 of VV N320 at 1.150 with a PD 147FMJ  out of a Shadow, and that makes 134 PF day in, day out. You really need to get a chrono (borrow one, at least). You may be able to drop that powder charge some.

Is that bullet lead, or jacketed ?

Where did you get the load of 3.9 gr AA2 ?   Is that a minimum or max load for

that powder and bullet ?

If you search "Reloading - 9mm" you will find a load of great info re: loading

9mm.

BUT, someone will be along tomorrow with some GREAT info re:   AA2 and

PD 147's - so hang tight, sleep well, and read the new postings tomorrow   :) 

I don't have any experience with A#2 but it appears to be close in burn rate to other powders often used for 9mm minor. 

I'm curious how it compares to 320, Tightgroup, Prima V or Sport Pistol in the real world.

And beg, borrow or steal a chrono. Otherwise you are just guessing.

Edited by ddc

On 7/14/2018 at 9:53 PM, awayne said:

The bullet is jacked

Jacketed.  Don't take this the wrong way, but either your communication skills suck, or please stop reloading before you blow something up.  You come across sounding like an idiot and are either trolling or have done none of the basic research you should have done before you started making ammo.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:10 PM, GrumpyOne said:

Well, about all you could do is go to a faster powder, but I don't think that you are going to find one that you like. My load is 3.5 of VV N320 at 1.150 with a PD 147FMJ  out of a Shadow, and that makes 134 PF day in, day out. You really need to get a chrono (borrow one, at least). You may be able to drop that powder charge some.

This ^^^ is about as good as it gets with a PD 147 (I’ve tested a few ;) ).

However, If you don’t want to spend the $ on VV powder, grab some Titegroup.  

1.150” OAL

Start at about 3.5gn TG and work up until you get the velocity you want. 

You really cant do this without a chrono. 

In a slightly nicer fashion than above, it doesn't sound like you know all of the pertinent information related to reloading ammo. OAL, powder charge weight, powder, bullet type and weight, etc. are all vital to discussing results from a given load.

Nobody here is trying to be a dick, but we are trying to set you up to be successful from various standpoints such as making desired PF and not blowing up your pistol.

As previously mentioned, the ONLY way to assure that you are making PF without "excessive" recoil is by using a chronograph and testing. Easy to run a max charge of appropriate 9mm powder to make >125PF but may be well above needed velocity for a given bullet weight.

Edited by wgj3

1) Never set the OAL by measuring factory ammo. Unless you're using all the same components that the factory ammo is made of than that information is completely useless and possibly dangerous. Always find you own OAL (plunk and spin test).

2) Know your load data. A 4.0gr load of AA#2 under a 147gr FMJ will yield approximately 888 fps (130 PF) according to Modern Reloading.

3) Get a chrono. How can you know you're still legal if you don't have a chrono?

4) If you want soft(er) you'll need to use the fastest suitable powder available to you. Titegroup is always an easy recommendation because it's cheap, available, and it works. A 3.4gr load of TG under a 147gr FMJ with an OAL of 1.13 will yield approximately 865 fps (127 PF) out of a 4" barrel according to me and my testing, lol.

Edited by 4n2t0

15 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

However, If you don’t want to spend the $ on VV powder, grab some Titegroup.  

1.150” OAL

Start at about 3.5gn TG and work up until you get the velocity you want. 

You really cant do this without a chrono. 

I like Titegroup, but I think 3.5 is a bit too much for starting load, I am using 3.2 with 147gr Blue Bullets and get 132 or so. 

And yes... a chrono is a must, and they don't cost all that much.

Edited by Foxbat

On 7/19/2018 at 11:22 AM, Foxbat said:

I like Titegroup, but I think 3.5 is a bit too much for starting load, I am using 3.2 with 147gr Blue Bullets and get 132 or so. 

3.4gr-3.5gr is about right, remember the OP's using jacketed bullets.

Edited by 4n2t0

• 4 months later...

After you figure out a safe load and get a chrono,   Here is what you need to do. Load 30 or so rounds.  At the range run a mag through the gun to get up to temp.  Then run three 8 round strings over the chrono and keep the stats.  You need to know the Standard Deviation and avg velocity for your load.  The 3 strings will give you a good baseline.   

Now add 2 times your standard deviation to the velocity needed to make PF.  This is your lowest avg velocity you should use to ensure you will pass a Chrono Station. .  Don't go below that avg velocity.    Adjust your load for feel, function, and accuracy.  

Edited by jwhittin

Youse guys must have the sensitivity of The Princess and The Pea to tell a difference between brands of powder only a few tenths apart.

I load 147 gr plated to 1.14+" with 3.4 gr HP38 and recoil is definitely "slower" than 115 econoball.  Flash and blast are a LOT less.

So I don't know what the OP is experiencing.

You should make friends at the range, somebody there surely owns a chronograph, I have run numerous loads for friends.

Maybe meet somebody with scale check weights, too. 

On 7/14/2018 at 8:51 PM, awayne said:

I am new to reloading I have my current loading set to 3.9 grain on powder for the 147grain round nose bullets I have.  The recoil still seems to be high. Open to suggestions.

Awayne, if you are serious about reloading, being efficient and safe with it may I make a suggestion? Do yourself and others a favor and buy the most recent Lyman reloading handbook you can find ,possibly available on Amazon etc. Spend some time actually reading the book to gain an understanding of cartridges ,pressure signs etc. and good solid reloading fundamentals. Don't just hop to looking at load data. Then when you look at the load data you have an understanding of what everything means. Once you've done that explore 147 grain with Universal Clays and I'd be curious to see your feedback on recoil sensation with the power factor  you desire. I have been reloading since I was 9. Everything from casting bullets,black powder and metallic cartridges. The Lyman hand books are always our Gospel as a go to and I suggest this as a smart route for anyone,especially just getting started. Good luck and Godspeed.

5 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Awayne, if you are serious about reloading, being efficient and safe with it may I make a suggestion? Do yourself and others a favor and buy the most recent Lyman reloading handbook you can find ,possibly available on Amazon etc. Spend some time actually reading the book to gain an understanding of cartridges ,pressure signs etc. and good solid reloading fundamentals. Don't just hop to looking at load data. Then when you look at the load data you have an understanding of what everything means. Once you've done that explore 147 grain with Universal Clays and I'd be curious to see your feedback on recoil sensation with the power factor  you desire. I have been reloading since I was 9. Everything from casting bullets,black powder and metallic cartridges. The Lyman hand books are always our Gospel as a go to and I suggest this as a smart route for anyone,especially just getting started. Good luck and Godspeed.

Excellent advice!!!   Awayne, PM me your mailing address and I will send you a manual no charge.

My load and my wife's is:-

147gr Xtreme Plated RN

3.9gr/ Unique

1.15" OAL

The load is 137PF and give a push straight back.  A very easy load to shoot and control.

A friends wife stopped shooting because of wrist issues.  His load was 124gr and a fast powder (can't remember which).  I gave him a couple of boxes for his wife to try (he did too) and she was shooting again.  It's now the load they use.