Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I feel like my DPP isn't very bright

wdfwguy

It's only the 2nd red dot I've tried, the other being a Vortex Venom, which is noticeably brighter.  And today, I tried someone's Cmore RTS, and it was MUCH brighter than my DPP.

All the comments I read from DPP owners seem to say they're very happy with the brightness.  I can't really say for sure until I see another DPP to compare, but it seems dim to me.

The DPP 2.5 is the brightest dot I've seen so far.  There are a couple of things you can try.  First, remove the battery and measure the voltage.  If it is below 3.0V it is time for a new battery.  The DPP seems fussy about how the battery goes in.  Sometimes it doesn't make perfect contact.  Yesterday I had to change the battery during a match.  I popped out the old, put the new one in, closed the cover and the dot was dim.  I took the battery out, cleaned both sides, put it back in making SURE the catch was fully engaged and the dot was bright again.

You should also look at the LED port.  There may be some obstruction or dirt.

Dpp 2.5 is pretty bright......... for a 2.5 Moa dot. Have two of them and they are similar in brightness. Now my rts2 6 moa is brighter but I think it is because of a larger dot.

58 minutes ago, zzt said:

The DPP 2.5 is the brightest dot I've seen so far.  There are a couple of things you can try.  First, remove the battery and measure the voltage.  If it is below 3.0V it is time for a new battery.  The DPP seems fussy about how the battery goes in.  Sometimes it doesn't make perfect contact.  Yesterday I had to change the battery during a match.  I popped out the old, put the new one in, closed the cover and the dot was dim.  I took the battery out, cleaned both sides, put it back in making SURE the catch was fully engaged and the dot was bright again.

I'll try that, thanks.  I might also try a Duracell, the ones I have now are generic bulk batteries I bought on Amazon

2 hours ago, zzt said:

I'm curious. Could this be due to oils/dirt from our fingers? I found that you should not touch those button batteries at all, using tweezers or gloved hands. Am I way off here?

You should clean both surfaces of the battery and only hold it by the edges.  For some reason, the DPP seems to be more sensitive to this than some others.  I buy Energizer batteries in bulk and test the voltage of each one.  Fresh batteries are usually in the 3.18~3.2V range.  Often you find 'new' batteries that are only 3.0V or lower.  I switched to Energizer because I had fewer rejects than with some other major brands.

I tried a Duracell this morning, and it might be *slightly* brighter...

But it still doesn't seem as bright as my Vortex dots, and it's definitely dimmer than the RTS I looked at

I’m having the same issue with a Vortex Viper. 

Given that that I have a major match in two weeks and am having issues with tracking the dot on sunnier days, would you:

1) Risk it and shoot the dot anyway. 

2) Switch to irons and shoot Production. 

On 7/17/2018 at 10:23 PM, wdfwguy said:

As high as it will go...

Is it the 2.5 MOA dot or the 7.5 MOA chevron / triangle?

The 2.5 DPP is almost blindingly bright. I run it a notch or two below full on the sunniest days you can find, unless I want the dot to bloom and look more like 6 MOA.

The trangle reticle is *much* dimmer. Two guys at my club have switched from triangle to 2.5 dot after playing with mine.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

15 hours ago, DKorn said:

I’m having the same issue with a Vortex Viper. 

Given that that I have a major match in two weeks and am having issues with tracking the dot on sunnier days, would you:

1) Risk it and shoot the dot anyway. 

2) Switch to irons and shoot Production. 

I’ve only looked through a Vortex refex once or twice, and while I thought they were usable, they weren’t bright enough for me to go with them.  If you can’t find the dot, then you can’t aim.  Makes the choice pretty simple to me. 

10 hours ago, wdfwguy said:

Mine is the 2.5, and it definitely doesn't strike me as bright, much less blindingly bright

I don’t own a DP so I don’t know how they are constructed. On an RTS2 the light diode sits at the bottom of a little tunnel that can fill with lint, dust, etc. and needs to occasionally be cleaned out. Maybe you’re experiencing a similar situation?

Edited by jkrispies

If you're finding your DPP is not bright then it is either a defective new "lemon" or has something else going wrong with it.....I've owned all three:  Vortex Venom (6moa), RTS2 (6moa) and DPP (2.5moa).....they are about the brightest dots you can buy...the DPP when turned up full bright really makes the dot "bloom", unfortunately I like a very crisp round dot (too bad DPP does not make a 6moa round dot):  so am now using the RTS2 which seems to have everything I need in a good dot.....light(at least compared to a DPP), good construction, very bright dot, crisp round dot, a large viewing window,  battery change without removing from slide, easy to use controls,  manufacturers warranty , and finally they are dependable now that they have the V4

Edited by race1911

Having 4 DPP , one was not as bright as the 3 . I switched batters etc and ended up sending it in with a description of the issue. It appeared the last few higher settings were not there. When revived it back from them, it's as bright as the others. Work order said replaced module IIRC. Best to compare it to another and go from there .

On 7/16/2018 at 11:38 AM, wdfwguy said:

I tried a Duracell this morning, and it might be *slightly* brighter...

But it still doesn't seem as bright as my Vortex dots, and it's definitely dimmer than the RTS I looked at

You sure you aren't just "seeing" them as brighter due to the larger MOA dot?  It could be easy to get the two confused.  Just one possibility.