Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major load for Czechmate

Sfisch0311

Hello all,

I just got my first open gun, a CZ Czechmate. I know, I know, I should've gotten a 2011 build but I couldn't pass on this deal for a complete rig. 

Anywho, I am looking for some load data for a 9 major load for it using either Zero's or BBI's. I have a lot of CCI primers as well as a lot of mixed headstamp brass. For powder, I'm open to what most people use. I've heard that HS-6 is pretty popular, I do have a LOT of the new Win 244, but Hodgdon says it's too fast for a 9 major load. Thank you all in advance for your advice!

Not much help on the load data but I think u will really like the czechmate. I know open is dominated by 2011 guns but I run an open tanfoglio and love it. The weight and low bore axis make it a really soft shooter. I've had a few 2011's and keep going back to my tanfo.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Sfisch0311 said:

Well I'm using either Zeros or BBI's cause they are sponsors. I know the BBIs should be close to what a Blue would be in terms of FPS.

Run the ZERO’s unless scraping crap out of comps is another hobby of yours. ?

I like WAC Myself but HS6 is also a good powder . 

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

I just started using Lovex DO37.1 under a 115gr MG CMJ in my Czechmate and am really liking it.

I've been super tempted to buy a keg of this powder as Shooter's World Major Pistol.  Have you compared it to 3N38 or AA7?  

10 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

I've been super tempted to buy a keg of this powder as Shooter's World Major Pistol.  Have you compared it to 3N38 or AA7?  

I'll need to chrono to confirm PF, but just by feel I'd say it's every bit as good as 3N38 and doesn't fill the case as high.

I'm loading my first batch of AA7 right now.

Just now, kneelingatlas said:

I'll need to chrono to confirm PF, but just by feel I'd say it's every bit as good as 3N38 and doesn't fill the case as high.

I'm loading my first batch of AA7 right now.

I am interested in your thoughts on cleanliness.  I primarily use 3N38, but I loved the feel of 10.5gr AA7 under a 115JHP; I just didnt care for the yellow corn meal looking fluff that the powder makes when it burns. 

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Run the ZERO’s unless scraping crap out of comps is another hobby of yours. ?

Yea I plan on it, I just need a dang load. You know OAL and powder. I was planning on going to the JHPs cause they don't have an open bottom.

2 hours ago, Sfisch0311 said:

Yea I plan on it, I just need a dang load. You know OAL and powder. I was planning on going to the JHPs cause they don't have an open bottom.

Is the chamber short in your gun like it is in every other CZ? If it is giving you loads for 1.17 Ian going to help.?

I hear ZEROS are fast bullets so take this with a grain of salt, MG 115JHP @1.168 over 7.8 WAC OR MG 121IFP @1.168 over 7.4 WAC Both loads make 173 out of my guns.

I’m currently working up a WAC load for PD 124JHP’s and I suspect I’ll end up in the 7.0-7.2 range

7 hours ago, Sarge said:

Is the chamber short in your gun like it is in every other CZ? If it is giving you loads for 1.17 Ian going to help.?

I hear ZEROS are fast bullets so take this with a grain of salt, MG 115JHP @1.168 over 7.8 WAC OR MG 121IFP @1.168 over 7.4 WAC Both loads make 173 out of my guns.

I’m currently working up a WAC load for PD 124JHP’s and I suspect I’ll end up in the 7.0-7.2 range

I've been reading you can load 1.165 so not too far off from what you're loading there. 

Btw Sarge, is WAC, Win Autocomp?

18 minutes ago, Sfisch0311 said:

I've been reading you can load 1.165 so not too far off from what you're loading there. 

Btw Sarge, is WAC, Win Autocomp?

Yes sir. A few call it AC as well.

3 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Yes sir. A few call it AC as well.

Ok, I thought so. I may give that and some HS-6 a try for some loads. I am going to really start playing with it after Area 5. I will however be using Zero's because they are a lot cheaper than MG's. Thank you for the help Sarge!

Edited by Sfisch0311

16 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

I am interested in your thoughts on cleanliness.  I primarily use 3N38, but I loved the feel of 10.5gr AA7 under a 115JHP; I just didnt care for the yellow corn meal looking fluff that the powder makes when it burns. 

I use Lovex DO37.1 for 9major with a Magtech magnum primer for cleaner powder burning. :) 

Run the ZERO’s unless scraping crap out of comps is another hobby of yours. [emoji52]

I’m relatively newer to open, but is this considered a lot of buildup? Both of these guns have over 5k each of blue Bullets after I switched from FMJ’s and I didn’t notice a difference in comp crud at all.

7550f830fa38ba91643735e8fcbd33b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Sfisch0311 said:

I  use Zero's because they are a lot cheaper than MG's. 

If you want to save $$$$   (    ?    ), you might give the PD or RMR

a try - I've never seen Zero's for less $$$ than MG's, but the PD's

and RMR's are just as good, and cheaper than both (around

8.5 cents each, if purchased in bulk).    :) 

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If you want to save $$$$   (    ?    ), you might give the PD or RMR

a try - I've never seen Zero's for less $$$ than MG's, but the PD's

and RMR's are just as good, and cheaper than both (around

8.5 cents each, if purchased in bulk).    :) 

OP is a Rudy shooter and ZERO is one of their sponsors so I imagine he gets a price break.

I personally ignore ZERO’s because they have a hard time maintaining inventory during tough political times.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

OP is a Rudy shooter and ZERO is one of their sponsors so I imagine he gets a price break.

I personally ignore ZERO’s because they have a hard time maintaining inventory during tough political times.

Yes I do, so that's why I want them.

On 7/14/2018 at 2:22 PM, Sfisch0311 said:

Hello all,

I just got my first open gun, a CZ Czechmate. I know, I know, I should've gotten a 2011 build but I couldn't pass on this deal for a complete rig. 

Anywho, I am looking for some load data for a 9 major load for it using either Zero's or BBI's. I have a lot of CCI primers as well as a lot of mixed headstamp brass. For powder, I'm open to what most people use. I've heard that HS-6 is pretty popular, I do have a LOT of the new Win 244, but Hodgdon says it's too fast for a 9 major load. Thank you all in advance for your advice!

Congrats. I did the same a few weeks ago. First major purchase for me in Open Div. I did some load testing and use 2 powders (start low and work your way up). 

Misc. Brass and Federal 200 primers.

Xtreme 135 RNFP 7.6 Vhitavuori 3N38 1284 fps

Montana Gold 115 CMJ 9.2 VV 3N38 1504 fps

Berry's 115 Hollow Base 7.6 Silhouette 1454 fps

Gallant 125 Round Nose Coated 8.0 VV 3N38 1384 fps

The leade in the chamber is short, so loading long can be a challenge, before the bullet bottoms out. Check these pics below, specific to my Czechmate, hope this helps.

2VgSM67.jpg

tZUVZsi.jpg

Fa4su2I.jpg

Edited by Lastcat

• 3 weeks later...

I had the CM barrels reamed before I even received it.  I used PD 9mm JHP a lot previously for minor.  They can load out a bit longer than a small frame CZ I own, vs the spare TS barrel I have, but seemed like a good idea to get them to load a bit longer.

Something you may also want to consider.

@kneelingatlas, how much D037.1 do you load?

I use 9.5gr under a 124gr FMJ, Federal 200, 1.157” OAL.

Even with Magnum primers I still have a lot of black dust blowing out, and am considering going back to N350 because of this.

Edited by GhostDog
typo