Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing CZC extended safety on TSO.....difficult?

wrx04

Will a CZ custom extended safety require extensive fitting for a TSO?  I have the safety and test fired 400 rounds (flawless) to make sure it functioned well before I mess with it.

is this tough to do?  I’m not a gunsmith by any means, but I think I can figure it out.  I haven’t found any great tutorials how to do it though.

Any tips/advice?  Thanks

As long as you get the correct one, for a TS...

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/safeties/cz-tactical-sports-cz-ts-extended-ambi-safety-lhs.html

Sometimes you have to do a little fitting on the 'D-Style' shaft end to fit snugly in your existing right-handed safety, depending on what you're going with.  Also, there may be some filing/fitting needed to fit where your sear contacts the safety so that they work right together.  An easy way to ensure this is to get the Cajun adjustable sear....

https://cajungunworks.com/product/as-b/

and spacer...

https://cajungunworks.com/product/s-spacer-sear-spacer/

Here's a vid on safety fitting...

Personally, I like the Shadow 2 extended safety on a TS the best.

Edited by MoRivera

Super easy.  Took about 20 minutes. 

The most difficult part is lining up the sear cage when putting everything back together.

Mine was almost 100% drop-in, just took a bit of massaging to get it to engage under the the sear.

I would get the shadow 2 safety, but I already have the CZ custom one, so Ill probably just use it.

Heres a dumb question....do I need to take out the sear assembly or can I just lift the sear spring and wiggle out the safety?  I tried the latter, but the safety doesn’t seem to budge.

2 hours ago, wrx04 said:

I would get the shadow 2 safety, but I already have the CZ custom one, so Ill probably just use it.

Heres a dumb question....do I need to take out the sear assembly or can I just lift the sear spring and wiggle out the safety?  I tried the latter, but the safety doesn’t seem to budge.

Yeah, just lift the leg of that spring.  May need to gently persuade it with a punch.

The sear cage will pop out once you remove the safety.  

Remove the sear makes it a lot easier and really isn’t a big deal. The part everyone seems to get stuck on is pushing the left detent back to get it to slide all the way in. I have the same safety and probably would have gone Shadow 2 in hindsight had to alter the CZ Custom as it was to big and sharp.

Be a very careful not to lose the two tiny springs that are compressed between the rear of TS's sear cage and the frame when you lift the sear cage out.

Part(s) # 74 below.

Ej_Springs.jpg

Those are not present in regular CZ75'/SP01's, and it's what makes the safety removal a little harder since it presses the sear cage assembly more against the safety shaft.

Edited by MoRivera

You can definitely do it with out removing the sear cage. Lift up the sear spring leg and get behind the left side safety with a thin flat blade screwdriver and gently pry it loose. It should come that way. Install new lh safety and make sure your sear leg is up then push back on sear cage and push safety through. Then push in lh detent and finish seating lh safety. Don’t forget to put sear spring back down, if not racking the slide will mess it up