Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Laugo Arms Alien

http://www.recoilweb.com/alien-pistol-from-laugo-arms-in-9mm-teased-138810.html

I...I'm not sure I even have words for this thing...

Fixed barrel, gas-operated 9mm with a stationary sight rib that can be swapped between iron sights and an optic without tools...

And look at the bore axis - THE BAREL IS BELOW THE TOP OF YOUR STRONG HAND;

IMG_2214.JPG

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its certainly interesting.  Still has some muzzle flip in the video.  I like the sight change out system.  Bet they are very expensive when they come out, assuming they come out.

I would be REALLY surprised if we ever see this here.

Its a niche pistol that so few of us want, I really dont know if an importer would jump on this.

IF they do jump on it, I would imagine we are going to see a street price of 3-4k but man, i REALLY hope that's not the case as that thing looks FUN!

Looks promising. 

But why did they put a notchedy rail thing on what appears to be a purpose built IPSC Production gun?  (5 lb/2 lb trigger is kind of a klue.) 

I get the Internet Generation, they haven't seen a bottom barrel gun other than a Rhino REVOLVER, but some of us traditionalists might have seen a Clement or Smith & Wesson AUTO with recoil train above the barrel. 

Edited by Jim Watson

Jim, where are you finding info on the trigger weight? It looks more like a striker-fired action than DA/SA to me...?

Also, just because a pistol is originally designed for competition doesn't mean it won't be adapted to other non-competition roles, and it probably doesn't add too much cost/complexity to put a 1913 rail on a pistol frame anymore...

That, or they wanted the pistol to be readily adaptable for night competitions as well

I don't remember where I saw the trigger pull values, some blog or another. 

And it is hammer fired. 

I guess you are right, as easy to cut the rail as not, just in case some elite Carabineri outfit wants high end guns. 

If it's hammer-fired but intended for production then doesn't it have to be a non-SAO trigger? That doesn't look like a DA/SA trigger to me...Plus, no decocker? How're you supposed to lower the hammer into DA mode if it's an internal hammer with no decocking lever?

The same way you lower the safety on cz dig tanfoglio pistols. There is a method for it

And what method is that (that doesn’t require either an external hammer or decocking lever)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Matt1 said:

And what method is that (that doesn’t require either an external hammer or decocking lever)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^Precisely my point. If this is a DA/SA gun, then there's no safe way to lower the hammer back to DA mode once you've chambered a round. Plus, a DA/SA with a tabbed trigger dingus safety, ala Glock? Has anyone ever seen that on any other DA or SA gun?

Everything about the shape of the trigger, no exposed hammer, no apparent manual safety, no apparent decocking lever, and the tabbed trigger dingus is screaming striker-fired to me...I don't doubt that one blog or another may have claimed that the gun is a hammer-fired DA/SA mechanism, but I would posit that whichever blog made that claim could very possibly be wrong...

@Rudukai13@Matt1

Thousands of CZ and Tanfoglio shooters prove you wrong every match day, with these two modt popular Production guns. They’re lowering the hammer for stage after stage by GASP! depressing the trigger and easing the hammer down.

It’s not hard. Wedge your thumbnail between the hammer and slide, pull the trigger, and slowly roll your thumb out.

You can’t lose your grip and accidentally drop the hammer; you’re blocking it instead of trying to hold it back.

Easy. Safe. No need for a mechanical doohickey to do this; your hands each come equipped with five failure-proof decocking safety devices.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

...Jesus people...

CZ/Tanfoglio - Exposed hammer to be able to hold/place your thumb between it and the firing pin to safely lower into DA mode without the use of a decocker.

Laugo Arms Alien - No exposed hammer to hold or put your thumb in front of, no decocker, no apparent external safeties of any kind.

NOW do you see what we're getting at?

IMG_2260.PNG

IMG_2261.JPG

1 minute ago, Rudukai13 said:

...Jesus people...

CZ/Tanfoglio - Exposed hammer to be able to hold/place your thumb between it and the firing pin to safely lower into DA mode without the use of a decocker.

Laugo Arms Alien - No exposed hammer to hold or put your thumb in front of, no decocker, no apparent external safeties of any kind.

NOW do you see what we're getting at?

IMG_2260.PNG

IMG_2261.JPG

You do have a point, if it is indeed hammer fired. 

13 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Rudukai13@Matt1

Thousands of CZ and Tanfoglio shooters prove you wrong every match day, with these two modt popular Production guns. They’re lowering the hammer for stage after stage by GASP! depressing the trigger and easing the hammer down.

It’s not hard. Wedge your thumbnail between the hammer and slide, pull the trigger, and slowly roll your thumb out.

You can’t lose your grip and accidentally drop the hammer; you’re blocking it instead of trying to hold it back.

Easy. Safe. No need for a mechanical doohickey to do this; your hands each come equipped with five failure-proof decocking safety devices.

I think what he is saying, is that how can this be Production legal, if it is indeed hammer fired, when there is no way to lower the hammer?

I certainly don't deny that you can safely lower the hammer on a CZ/Tanfo pistol without the use of a decocking lever. But the only reason you can do that is because CZ/Tanfo pistols have an exposed hammer which lets you directly manipulate it.

IF HOWEVER a pistol - such as this Alien - clearly does NOT have an external hammer, then there is no way to directly manipulate the hammer and it would therefore require some "mechanical doohickey" to accomplish reverting the pistol back to DA safely, which it also appears to be lacking.

I will bet the eventual street price of this pistol, whatever it may be, that this is NOT a DA/SA trigger...

Memphis, what's your deal lately bud?  You're jumping down the throats of ALOT Of people.

Unless someone knows something that we all dont, there is really no way that pistola is DA/SA, it definitely looks striker fired.

IF it is DA/SA, unless we are all missing something, ie a decocking lever on the side of the gun, we are definitely not going to be able to run that thing in production as we arent able to physically decock it. (again, unless we are missing something)

The safety on the trigger would seem to indicate a striker fired mechanism. I don't recall ever seeing that type of trigger safety on a hammer fired gun.

Does anyone have a legitimate source for the comment that it is hammer fired ?

Edited by BritinUSA

All I know about it is what I read on the Internet.  Maybe the www is wrong, maybe I remember wrong, but:

1.  Hammer fired.

2.  5 lb - 2 lb  DA - SA

But I also recall from history that one of the Walther prototypes leading up to the P38 had what they called an "anvil hammer" for a DA-SA start without a decocking step.  Racking the slide would not leave it cocked, but firing would.  Not saying that is what Laugo is doing, but it is possible. 

Oh, yeah, another one of those Internet things:

3.  Price in SVI range.