Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack or Production?

rootacres

So I am a master class production shooter that has also dabbled in CO. I am taking a serious look into single stack for next year. I like tinkering with things (especially gun related) and a 1911 is like an adult tinker toy. With the surging popularity in 9mm SS guns that may be the route I go (may go for a 40/45 too). If I shot SS minor it would basically be the equivalent of shooting production with a nicer gun. I was hoping some of you that have shot in both would be able to give me an idea on which one you liked more? Thanks in advance. 

Really like shooting SS.  1911 is my favorite pistol.

Biggest problem I see (in my area) is the lack of guys shooting SS. So in my area anyway doesn't seem as

much fun as shooting other divisions where there is more competion.

YMMV

I like 9mm single stack for matches to keep stage planning the same as production guys.  You can always compare to production shooters in the scores if there's a lack of SS guys.  That said, it's an interesting trade off to shoot major if you have to dial back the speed to make sure you're getting good hits and no misses on steel. 

Edited by IronicTwitch

2 hours ago, rootacres said:

So I am a master class production shooter that has also dabbled in CO. I am taking a serious look into single stack for next year. I like tinkering with things (especially gun related) and a 1911 is like an adult tinker toy. With the surging popularity in 9mm SS guns that may be the route I go (may go for a 40/45 too). If I shot SS minor it would basically be the equivalent of shooting production with a nicer gun. I was hoping some of you that have shot in both would be able to give me an idea on which one you liked more? Thanks in advance. 

This is very true and with the lack of SS shooters is why Im shooting prod now.  If I could reload 45 for the same price as 9mm I would shoot SS major.

I have shot both and i generally prefer major.  A 9mm 1911 is about  the sweetest gun you will ever shoot, but if you shoot 30 charlies in a match that is like starting with 3 no shoot penalties before the match starts. I never had a problem reloading so 8 vs 10 wasn't a huge factor for me, at least not enough to off set the points.  Others will have a different opinion and that is fine too

My 1911s run like tops.  All of the matches I shoot are essentially lost brass.  45 ACP brass is expensive, so I don't want to leave 150-250 on the ground each match.  If I didn't want to reload 9mm, I'd use factory in a 9mm 1911.  I prefer 40sw.  You can load it way down to 110PF for Steel Challenge, to 132~140PF for minor, or 172PF for major.  I do all three.  The reason I run 140 and 172 is the pistol function flawlessly with the same recoil spring.  There are a few disadvantages to 40sw.  There are fewer factory guns available, there is only one source of reliable 10-round mags, and you have to reload for minor.

I moved to CO because there are no shooters in SS or Limited 10 in my area. I will say the .45 is my gun of choice for sure, and it does cost a bit more, but move to a coated bullet and the cost comes down fast. The price difference between a 200 grain .40 and .45 is zero, brass being the only real cost difference. I have always been told shoot major if possible. Hitting C' and D' with minor is a killer.

As far as a production pistol functioning better then a 1911, I have not seen that. There are different skills involved, such as seating an 8 round mag is harder then a wide 10 round mag, but that is learned. I'd go with the major gun for sure.

7 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

I dunno, SS division guns has bigger chance of malfunctions vs production division guns. What do I know, I've only been shooter for 3 years. 

I would disagree. All of my SS guns run flawless. I have seen many production guns malfunction on the range. More factors are involved besides SS vs production. 

4 hours ago, zzt said:

My 1911s run like tops.  All of the matches I shoot are essentially lost brass.  45 ACP brass is expensive, so I don't want to leave 150-250 on the ground each match.  

This is why I don't shoot 45acp, and now days you even have to sort 45 brass for large and small primers. I love my Itialion Beretta 92fs and just look for a faster time then the other guys ...lol fun 

14 hours ago, RJH said:

I have shot both and i generally prefer major.  A 9mm 1911 is about  the sweetest gun you will ever shoot, but if you shoot 30 charlies in a match that is like starting with 3 no shoot penalties before the match starts. I never had a problem reloading so 8 vs 10 wasn't a huge factor for me, at least not enough to off set the points.  Others will have a different opinion and that is fine too

If you shoot 30 charlies in a match you should aim more. just sayin'.....

I've shot quite a bit of minor and major both. the big advantage to minor in most matches is having makeup shots available without standing reloads. It only takes a few standing reloads to cancel out the 12-15 charlies you *should* be getting in a 6-7 stage local match.

For the OP, I prefer SS to production just because the rules are less annoying, but in general, a cz production gun will run better than a 9mm 1911. 45 of course is a different animal entirely, but mine have been ultra-reliable.

Edited by motosapiens

6 hours ago, motosapiens said:

If you shoot 30 charlies in a match you should aim more. just sayin'.....

I've shot quite a bit of minor and major both. the big advantage to minor in most matches is having makeup shots available without standing reloads. It only takes a few standing reloads to cancel out the 12-15 charlies you *should* be getting in a 6-7 stage local match.

For the OP, I prefer SS to production just because the rules are less annoying, but in general, a cz production gun will run better than a 9mm 1911. 45 of course is a different animal entirely, but mine have been ultra-reliable.

I don't think  i have ever shot 12-15 charlies in a match, hell you must be a grand master flash haha

In a 100 round match shooting major with 30 charlies is still 94% so.....

Edited by RJH

13 hours ago, dthomas1003 said:

I would disagree. All of my SS guns run flawless. I have seen many production guns malfunction on the range. More factors are involved besides SS vs production. 

Will 1911 eat flat nose bullets out of the box? I doubt it. Just my observations so not trying start any debates here as anyone loves their own, 1911 platform is the most finicky gun, same with it's magazine, especially during matches, hence a lot tuning, and extra attention to maintenance, especially on very dusty ranges. I shot a SS in rain/mud/puddle, mags was useless, couldn't finish the match. I shot an M&P in the same condition, ran flawlessly and finished the match, didn't even need a mag brush. Yes, I'm sure everyone's 1911's run flawlessly. Don't get me wrong, I love the gun, well balanced and accurate. But for the price of this gun on most common brands, not worth IMO considering the potential problems you'll have. Rock Island is the cheapest 1911 you can get. 

Edited by happygunner77

happy, you must have had a crappy 1911 and used crappy mags.  My Sig Tacops is just as it left the factory.  I use Wilson 8-round ETM mags.  I use flat points.  In four years or running and gunning, and dropping mags in the dust, I have yet to clean a mag during the match, and I've had no misfeeds.  I do use a chamber checker on each competition round.  I also RO USPSA and SCSA matches and see lots of 1911 used.  Most are unmodified SAs and the like.  All those shooter must use good mags, because they don't have any problems.

My Sig Max shoots flat nose .40 factory ammo with no issues. In fact, it eats up Blazer aluminum cased ammo just fine. My Tripp and Wilson mags have been flawless. I shoot in the desert, so dust is always an issue. When I shot the Western States Single Stack Classic back in February, I did nothing more than wipe down the outside of dropped mags during the match. I had no issues. I will agree with that if you expect the same results with an off the shelf RIA 1911 and no name mags, you will be sorely disappointed. You cannot run around with a Ford Pinto and then act surprised when it blows up on you.

My SV runs either in 9 or 40.  Tripp mags.  No issues

My Tripp runs 40 with Tripps, Wilson, etc.  No Issues

My STI 45 -- some woman took it and has not returned it.  Woe is me.

So two out of three are full custom guns, while the third only has a STI frame and slide.

Tuesday night steel the 9 rules.  Area 2 SS - 9mm better to have extra rounds.

I  would shoot SS if it was a more popular division locally. I have a nice 9mm 1911 rig ready to go, but the last match had only four SS guys show up and 37 in Production. I think Illinois has a larger SS population than Texas so it's likely more fun there. I'm also in the middle of building myself a SS in .40 to play with major PF again, even though I rarely shoot the division.

Ultimately they're very similar to me though. I currently shoot the Shadow 2 about 7% better on a given stage, but I suspect that's just because I have more time behind it.  Matches don't feel different in SS vs Production. I imagine they're a lot different in a full-capacity division like CO or Limited but I've never tried those.

Reason why I sold my 9mm ss gun was exactly because it felt just like shooting prod. But with a worse gun hahaha. And to shoot major would cost more in bullets. Finally just not the same level of shooters in ss locally versus prod. All in all ss minor just wasn't different enough to leave production. 

9 hours ago, belus said:

I'm also in the middle of building myself a SS in .40 to play with major PF again, even though I rarely shoot the division.

I have sold my ss guns, but whenever I see a good price on a well built .40 1911 it bothers me a lot. A bit less cost to shoot, you can tinker with 9 + 1 minor when you just want to play with something different, and I prefer .40 when I am shooting major. 

44 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I have sold my ss guns, but whenever I see a good price on a well built .40 1911 it bothers me a lot. A bit less cost to shoot, you can tinker with 9 + 1 minor when you just want to play with something different, and I prefer .40 when I am shooting major. 

I'm really tempted by those too. The only thing saving me is that I don't have the dies or components to reload 40 yet and that's enough of an activation barrier.

• 1 year later...

On 7/13/2018 at 7:32 PM, rootacres said:

I am a master class production shooter that has also dabbled in CO. I am taking a serious look into single stack for next year. ... With the surging popularity in 9mm SS guns that may be the route I go (may go for a 40/45 too). If I shot SS minor it would basically be the equivalent of shooting production with a nicer gun

I am in the same exact boat.  I did shoot one classifier match in SS (and it was a Taurus 1911 in 45 ACP :)) but that Major PF is so attractive - hitting 80+%  with a gun i haven't shot before was criminally easy... If i ever step into SS in any serious manner, i doubt i would choose a Minor gun.

17 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You also reside in PA, which allows you to shoot ANYTHING you want

Correction - anything i can afford (which is not that much) :)  i do shoot primarily in NY though... What i meant by "same boat" is that we (OP and I) seem to be at the similar levels of skill and participation in the Prod and CO divisions.  But the primary point was how attractive that Major PF was in my very limited experience with the SS :)