Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reaming and Throating for 9mm Major

Justinmac13

Getting some parts ready for a build this winter and wanted to see the best way of reaming/throating the barrel for an open 9mm Major. I am not sure of what bullet I will be using yet, so not really knowing this information where do you guys start. Do you just get a Manson reamer along with a .356 Manson throater and deepen the throat when you pick your bullet?  from what I have read (never shot major so I am newbie) I want to load to about 1.165 or 1.17, I am sure just the standard reamer will not allow for this. Did any of you have specific reamers built and if so do you have the specs that can be sent into Manson?

Get your pistol and make some ammo before you start worrying about chamber reaming. I've never had to ream a chamber for 9 major. I load to 1.165 and never had a problem in any of my guns. If I had a problem with chambering, I'd have a machinist do the work. Buying those tools for a one time operation doesn't make sense to me. Worry about the problems as you encounter them, worrying about things that haven't happened yet will give you wrinkles and grey hair.

8 hours ago, jpl said:

Manson's 9mm reamer has an area in front of the chamber area that will cut the leade.  It will chamber 1.170 oal without a problem.

Thank you JPl    I planned on using Manson’s  just didn’t know if I needed the throated and reamer  I’ll hold off on the throater    Thx again