Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you really need a high dollar bolt gun to shoot PRS

HowardM

Wanting to shoot a little PRS nothing serious as I just do not have the time I have a rally nice Christensen Arms AR 10 that shoots sub MOA ou to 800 and was wondering if f can use this gun 

No you do not need a high dollar rifle to shoot PRS. You need a gun that shoots at least 1 moa and a decent scope. Both can be purchased under $1500. You do need to know how it shoots and your dope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/13/2018 at 8:32 AM, HowardM said:

Wanting to shoot a little PRS nothing serious as I just do not have the time I have a rally nice Christensen Arms AR 10 that shoots sub MOA ou to 800 and was wondering if f can use this gun 

Look at Ruger RPR, love mine and have seen many of them at PRS matches and FTR.  

Same as any other shooting sport, just get started with whatever you already own. There are some PRS Gas Gun matches out there. If you start thinking you want to win any standard precision matches where you're shooting against bolt guns you'll eventually end up with a bolt gun though.

You could absolutely use your AR-10, I kind of wish I would have went that way instead of my Savage that I shoot PRS with. I'm buying my next rifle a piece at a time since that's what the budget allows. Hopefully it's ready for next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice glass, good reloading components and equipment, a class to learn LR, and lots of practice time are all things I’d worry about spending money on before I bought a high dollar rifle.

Use what you have. It will work fine. As you progress you may change your mind but that gun will be good for a learning and figuring out what you like. If you have a good optic and practice regularly you will do fine. Upgrade later if it holds you back.

• 3 weeks later...

No where have I ever seen you have to have a high dollar rifle. Heck I have a tikka ctr 6.5 in a McMillan stock that will shoot factory ammo inside each other while some of my 4 and 5k rifles with reloads aren’t quite that accurate. Run it have fun be safe and ask some people to see their gear if you are wanting to go bolt. Lots of great guys that are more than willing to help if you are safe. Good luck and be prepared for the addiction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I would say no.  If you have an MOA rifle that will shoot MOA after long shot strings (some PRS Stages will get upwards of 20 rounds) that has a detachable magazine, then I would say you are more than able to go shoot a match and not feel like you are held back by the rifle.  Like others have mentioned, get a really good optic.  Being able to spot hits (or misses) and read mirage and see grass moving at distance is priceless.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 8:35 PM, sfinney said:

Nice glass, good reloading components and equipment, a class to learn LR, and lots of practice time are all things I’d worry about spending money on before I bought a high dollar rifle.

I wouldn't waste my time with a class. Most of the people I see putting on classes don't have a clue. Take what you have and go to some shoots. The other shooters will help you and you will learn more than in any class. I would suggest a few local matches if you can to start with. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 10:48 PM, Ffoster said:

I wouldn't waste my time with a class. Most of the people I see putting on classes don't have a clue. Take what you have and go to some shoots. The other shooters will help you and you will learn more than in any class. I would suggest a few local matches if you can to start with. 

This. 

I was better then the insructor in the class me and my wife took last July. But I was really only there to get accesss to his 1500?yard range.

to answer your other question no you don’t. I have for many years with a savage 10 and a vortex viper 6-24. Or look at the    RPR, tikka, Remington 700 sps. Any will due. 

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I would say no.  If you have an MOA rifle that will shoot MOA after long shot strings (some PRS Stages will get upwards of 20 rounds) that has a detachable magazine, then I would say you are more than able to go shoot a match and not feel like you are held back by the rifle.  Like others have mentioned, get a really good optic.  Being able to spot hits (or misses) and read mirage and see grass moving at distance is priceless.

You make a good point about holding MOA with longer strings. I have a AR-15 that shoots honest 1/2 MOA but in a match this summer (it was hot) accuracy went to pot after the gun got hot. The thing about a semi auto is once it is hot and the round is chambered and not shot immediately then it is cooking and very likely will not deliver the accuracy you get from the bench testing and never really getting the gun hot. Not saying he should not give it a try though. You really don't know how it will do until you shoot a match with it, and all matches are not created equal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 11:38 AM, HowardM said:

Thanks I have a really nice Leupols VX3 LRP seems do get the job done 

That’s not gonna cut it, I highly suggest a FFP scope with Mil reticle and MRAD turrets with a zero stop