Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production to 15 rounds instead of 10.

bigtimelarry

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

From the 1978 "rulebook"

image.png.3e4b0e2de3fc24edd30d19122628be1a.png

Still, it was much better. very very few shot minor. If they did they what 2 or 3 more rounds. s#!t, I shot all over the southern states only ever saw a few Browing high powers. 9mm or 38s it was a 1911.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

I agree on semantics. But blatant and recurring designation of Production as THE "Beginners" division is bulls#!t.

Don't quote me on that! I have no dog in the hurt!

But, production is where people tend to start. I don't think anyone is saying that production is only for beginners. That doesn't change the fact that most new people have a gun they can shoot in production or limited minor.

I would imagine people who stay in production like the 10 rounds, and minor scoring. Those that don't move to another division. Others go shoot 3 gun or something lame like that.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

New doesn't have to mean unskilled, unchallenging or uninteresting.

Is it just me, or are there really frequent threads with the question "I'm new. Should I start at Limited or Production." Mostly, the answer seems to be "Start at Limited, because you don't have to reload so often".

21 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

But, production is where people tend to start. I don't think anyone is saying that production is only for beginners. That doesn't change the fact that most new people have a gun they can shoot in production or limited minor.

I would imagine people who stay in production like the 10 rounds, and minor scoring. Those that don't move to another division. Others go shoot 3 gun or something lame like that.

I started Limited Minor too. Had a Glock 34 that could fit into either division. Decided I liked 9mm cost and did not mind reloading.

11 minutes ago, perttime said:

Is it just me, or are there really frequent threads with the question "I'm new. Should I start at Limited or Production." Mostly, the answer seems to be "Start at Limited, because you don't have to reload so often".

Yesssssssssssss. Limited, Production, Single Stack and Revo can all be called "Starter / New Guy" divisions if you really want to apply a broad definition. I guess you could toss CO in now as well since factory ready guns are so common.

I'd say that out of Limited, Production, Single Stack and Revo, only Limited is really "Starter / New Guy" friendly.

Revolver: sure if you enjoy the frustration of reload speed (or lack of) determining the results.

Single Stack: Nice, except still leans towards the importance of reloads

USPSA Production: Nice, except leans towards the importance of reloads, just like SS

Limited: you can shoot the game without worrying about reloads all that much

51 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

I started Limited Minor too. Had a Glock 34 that could fit into either division. Decided I liked 9mm cost and did not mind reloading.

Yesssssssssssss. Limited, Production, Single Stack and Revo can all be called "Starter / New Guy" divisions if you really want to apply a broad definition. I guess you could toss CO in now as well since factory ready guns are so common.

I think we can all agree that IDPA is the starter division.

57 minutes ago, perttime said:

I'd say that out of Limited, Production, Single Stack and Revo, only Limited is really "Starter / New Guy" friendly.

Revolver: sure if you enjoy the frustration of reload speed (or lack of) determining the results.

Single Stack: Nice, except still leans towards the importance of reloads

USPSA Production: Nice, except leans towards the importance of reloads, just like SS

Limited: you can shoot the game without worrying about reloads all that much

I so want to rebut this, however, any subtly or direct correlation with real life events will be subsequently rejected, only to be infilled with realities of someones own imagination.

I think production should allow major.  I mean there are a lot of guns that fit well in production that are in 40 and 45, so yeah production major sounds awesome.  

PS 10 or 15  or fill them up is fine with me:roflol:

Edited by RJH

7 hours ago, perttime said:

I tend to steer brand new competitors to Limited Minor as well, but it's not because I don't want them to have to reload.  It's primarily because people who show up to try the sport usually only have 2-3 magazines, a (sometimes crappy) holster, and a double mag pouch.  So you let them shoot in Limited Minor, which will allows them to get through a 32-rd stage with 3 magazines, and also allows almost any modifications they have already made (optics, comps, and ported barrels aside).  This way they can shoot a match or two to see if they even like it before they start thinking they need to go buy more gear.  If their gun doesn't fit in Production, they either make it legal, use a different one, or stay in Limited.  If they want to try Production, now they go invest in another 3-4 mags and pouches.

• 3 weeks later...

I think we can all agree that IDPA is the starter division.

Yep.

Also, those saying revolver can get grouped in with production and single stack as the “beginner” group have clearly never shot revolver. When i put down my revolver at my local matches and pick up my tanfo (which is rare) i generally win the match. Revolver is SO much more challenging and makes me a better shooter.

Also, getting the moon clips, belt, etc. is way more work and expense than bringing your only gun to a match to try out competition for the first time.

And yes, Production is not for beginners. It might have been back in 2000 but no longer. IDPA is where most beginners with their out of the box gun go.

I say keep the 10 round limit in production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, radny97 said:

Also, those saying revolver can get grouped in with production and single stack as the “beginner” group have clearly never shot revolver.

It is a shame that 6 shot revolver is dead for practical purposes and 8 shot is very rare. 

There is nothing that is more fun to shoot but you need people to compete with and the entry fee in both $'s and skill development is steep. You also need serious short term memory skills. 

On 8/4/2018 at 4:20 PM, radny97 said:

Yep.

Also, those saying revolver can get grouped in with production and single stack as the “beginner” group have clearly never shot revolver. When i put down my revolver at my local matches and pick up my tanfo (which is rare) i generally win the match. Revolver is SO much more challenging and makes me a better shooter.

Also, getting the moon clips, belt, etc. is way more work and expense than bringing your only gun to a match to try out competition for the first time.

And yes, Production is not for beginners. It might have been back in 2000 but no longer. IDPA is where most beginners with their out of the box gun go.

I say keep the 10 round limit in production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to shoot Revolver and felt it was holding me back from progressing as a shooter.  It's vary different set of challenges, certainly not a beginner division.

People call production the beginner division because most people coming into the sport have a gun that can be competitive in production. I don't think anyone thinks there aren't great shooters in the production division, there just also happens to be a lot of C-D and U's shooting at the local level becasue they happen to have a production gun.

I joke that IDPA is for beginners becasue it's slower. But, really around here USPSA is much bigger than IDPA and easily gets just as many if not more beginners. And really the rules are so much easier to follow, USPSA is a great place to start. It's just more intimidating due to the higher speed, and higher level of skill of many of the shooters.

I might shoot a Match in Revolver again. The first time I did it, I was surprised I wasn't the last in Overall results. Apparently, there were a few people with (IPSC) Standard guns (sorta USPSA Limited) who were even slower than me. IDPA? My very brief experience - so far - is that there's lots of things to remember, and a gazillion different classes for different pistols.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

I don't really shoot production, but are not all factory "production" guns 15 + rounds now? So it makes sense to go to 15 rounds. 10 round limit was because Clinton's 15 round ban and it is gone now. Just saying.

Only in 9mm, you can shoot a 40 or 45 in production also if that's what you have.

• 4 months later...

So every divisions capacity, except production, is based around the maximum a firearm was designed to have. Revolver-8 max,SS-10+1, Limited,Open,CO- limited only by mag length. PPC-No limit. Production has an approved list and box it has to fit in along with weight restriction. Still not understanding why production should be limited to 10 Rounds only. If it fits in the box and it is designed to hold 17 rounds Etc.why download magazine to 10 Rounds only. If you live or compete in one of the few states that prohibits having more than 10 round mags that is how the match will be run in any division.You best have 10 round max magazines for the other divisions as well. So why should this be an influence Nationwide for the majority of the states  that are allowed normal mag capacity. Seems we lost some of the "Practical" in USPSA.

2 hours ago, Brooke said:

3 hours ago, Brooke said:

Good

3 hours ago, vgdvc said:

So every divisions capacity, except production, is based around the maximum a firearm was designed to have. Revolver-8 max,SS-10+1, Limited,Open,CO- limited only by mag length. PPC-No limit. Production has an approved list and box it has to fit in along with weight restriction. Still not understanding why production should be limited to 10 Rounds only. If it fits in the box and it is designed to hold 17 rounds Etc.why download magazine to 10 Rounds only. If you live or compete in one of the few states that prohibits having more than 10 round mags that is how the match will be run in any division.You best have 10 round max magazines for the other divisions as well. So why should this be an influence Nationwide for the majority of the states  that are allowed normal mag capacity. Seems we lost some of the "Practical" in USPSA.

I have yet to see a match in a western restricted state apply 3.3.1

7 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

I have yet to see a match in a western restricted state apply 3.3.1

Obviously they're supposed to. That is the basis of rule 3.3.1. I live in PA an,unrestricted magazine State, and believe me when I tell you I am the farthest for advocating such a ridiculous ruling such as 10 round magazine capacity. But when I travel to a state to shoot a match such as New Jersey I understand and follow the law.  A specific example that follows the 3.3.1 rule is Central Jersey USPSA in Jacksonville New Jersey. Of even greater importance to the sport and to the individual shooters is I hope the match directors follow 3.3.1. If nothing else but to keep within the laws that govern the states they are participating in. It may be one thing for USPSA ruling, it's another thing when a state trooper puts cuffs on you for having an illegal magazine in their state.