Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Power Factor

I've given up on the 95 grain bullets, so back to the 135 Bayou coated with WSF that gives me a 130pf with the G34 and 146pf with the 16" PCC... I'm too lazy to load two different lengths and powder charges...many years ago, I resigned myself that I wasn't going to win the Cadillac....

12 minutes ago, Les Snyder said:

I've given up on the 95 grain bullets, so back to the 135 Bayou coated with WSF that gives me a 130pf with the G34 and 146pf with the 16" PCC... I'm too lazy to load two different lengths and powder charges...many years ago, I resigned myself that I wasn't going to win the Cadillac....

What’s going on with the 95gr? I just recently sold some Mg 95’s. They were for steel Challange, but never really got to test them 

Somewhere around 140pf still shoots incredibly flat, and I like having that extra bit of oomph to knock over poppers.

Remember, you’re a grown adult shooting a 6 pound handgun off of your shoulder; there’s no reason to go for ultrasoft recoil as long as your gun shoots flat.

I know for a fact that our PCC national champ and his shooting buddy who has won a few Area level matches and the like... both run ammo in that neighborhood.

Find a load your gun shoots accurately and reliably then spend your time tuning the buffer and comp and spring system to make it shoot flat. How soft your ammo feels is irrelevant to your ability to shoot fast and straight.

Am I the only one that keeps a small stash of higher than normal PF ammo (150+) in range bag, for those stages where previous production shooters failed to down troublesome steel?

We've all see this before.   

Shoot, steel doesn't fall, maybe calibrate?, adjust and reshoot, same outcome.    

Why not just hit it extra hard  when you're up?

I shoot a modified Stag 9mm ... load 124 PD hollow points to 130 PF using 4.0 gr AC...  shoots very accurately & soft..... I have never hit a popper that did not fall.... missed quite a few, but not the ammo nor the gun's fault.. ?

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Somewhere around 140pf still shoots incredibly flat, and I like having that extra bit of oomph to knock over poppers.

Remember, you’re a grown adult shooting a 6 pound handgun off of your shoulder; there’s no reason to go for ultrasoft recoil as long as your gun shoots flat.

I know for a fact that our PCC national champ and his shooting buddy who has won a few Area level matches and the like... both run ammo in that neighborhood.

Find a load your gun shoots accurately and reliably then spend your time tuning the buffer and comp and spring system to make it shoot flat. How soft your ammo feels is irrelevant to your ability to shoot fast and straight.

That's the part I'm having trouble with.....  I have a JP GMR-13  using a Blitz buffer, and .308 carbine spring,  no weight in the BCG, and no matter what load the gun isn't what I would call Flat.  It's very accurate,  but it's pretty bouncy no matter the powder or bullet weight.   Not sure which direction to go,  I do know the .308 rifle spring made it worse.

A wave spring with a single quarter on top of it makes all the difference in my CMMG guard with a similar setup, but that gun has a totally different non-blowback system from yours.

Is the JP comp able to be opened up?

My surefire comp came with two small ports. Drilled to 5/32” and life was good.

Did this, and life is flat now. (Upward-facing ports are the ones on the left side and obviously hand-worked.)

BA646C6A-3D0B-4235-9B81-21793D460214.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic
1 hour ago, BlackBuzzard said:

Am I the only one that keeps a small stash of higher than normal PF ammo (150+) in range bag, for those stages where previous production shooters failed to down troublesome steel?

I have a stash of 163 pf ??. Free is free though haha. My gun runs its extremely well

Edited by Blurryvisions

Ive quit worrying about pf. Find a safe charge that produces good splits and tight patterns with the fastest split u can shoot on paper. IMO I think you want to gauge everything on dot return and not bounce or flatness.

I use Titegroup and I use the same charge for both 125 and 147. There's little to no difference in feel or groups or splits. In my 16" barrel they produce close the same velocity. Which to me means pay attention to the powder charge and not the resulting pf.

3.2/125 135 range

3.2/147 155 range

I also tried a 3.7/125 tryng to get the comp to work. It made little difference.

Anything under 3 grains was too sluggish for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Blurryvisions... L9x25 is the culprit...he let me shoot his 95 grain WSF loads, and they virtually did not move the dot, and you can double tap 10" plates at 25yd....

the shape of the 95 grain ogive is very straight, producing a short/squat projectile, so in order to get the bullet to not stick in the leade area in front of the chamber mouth of common 9mm barrels, they need to be loaded shorter than 1.10", and that may lead to reliability in feeding... either that, or you need to ream the leade area... with the melonite nitrided  barrel coatings, a standard high speed steel reamer does not work efficiently ....a friend is still working with 95s on an inexpensive barrel that we cut with a tool post grinder....I am still planning to build a ring chamber delayed barrel, just to see if the project is workable

Les

32 minutes ago, Les Snyder said:

Blurryvisions... L9x25 is the culprit...he let me shoot his 95 grain WSF loads, and they virtually did not move the dot, and you can double tap 10" plates at 25yd....

the shape of the 95 grain ogive is very straight, producing a short/squat projectile, so in order to get the bullet to not stick in the leade area in front of the chamber mouth of common 9mm barrels, they need to be loaded shorter than 1.10", and that may lead to reliability in feeding... either that, or you need to ream the leade area... with the melonite nitrided  barrel coatings, a standard high speed steel reamer does not work efficiently ....a friend is still working with 95s on an inexpensive barrel that we cut with a tool post grinder....I am still planning to build a ring chamber delayed barrel, just to see if the project is workable

Les

Will they knock down a pepper popper at 20 yds?

At 1.100 they must not be in the case very much.

I bought the 95's from blurry visions. I cannot load them longer than 1.080. At that they are in the case a little over 1/16.

They are Montana Gold's. I have Berry 100 gr. 1.090 max.

What brand is he using? Pretty sure all brands are close to the same.

Curious

Running 124 JHP over 3.6 Titegroup getting 124 PF from a 14-1/2" JP.  Running light buffer spring and swapped one tungsten weight for steel.  Lightening buffer setup reduced velocity.

Oops! Sub minor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmshozer1.... L9x25 uses, and I used 95 grain bullets from Precision Delta...mine were loaded to 1.075 or so OAL...I used 5.2 of WSF

to the best of my memory for the couple of matches I shot them, poppers (without hinges) and some set to fall forward were not a problem...I was frustrated by the fact that I was trying to use two different barrels... one had been bulged with a couple of stuck bullets that chronographed about 150fps slower than the other barrel... unfortunately the bulged barrel shoots exceptionally well and has a slightly more forgiving leade area, and is the one I prefer to use.. so back to the 135's

I just stuck the mag well adapter and 7.5" 9mm upper on the SBR, so will give a real short PCC a run next month...

8 hours ago, BlackBuzzard said:

cant Really find a rule prohibiting switching ammo at random. My mistake. But for the life of me I can’t imagine different loads for steel, windy days or whatever.

Just load up ammo with a comfortable PF cushion and go for it.

Edited by Sarge
6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

That might fly at a local but it’s called cheating where there is a chrono involved at level II and up. So technically it’s cheating period.

So, if I’m running 132 power factor and it’s a windy day and they set full poppers heavy it’s cheating if I switch to my 163 power factor ammo? I’m not trolling I’m actually unsure if that’s what your meaning...

8 minutes ago, Sarge said:

That might fly at a local but it’s called cheating where there is a chrono involved at level II and up. So technically it’s cheating period.

Not if his regular ammo makes the Minor PF floor.   I shot a classifier match last year with 133 PF ammo and steel was not falling.  After the first stage, if I had hotter ammo with me, I would have used it. 

Last year I shot 133 PF (147 gr plated RN bullets) but this year I've bumped it up to 145 PF (same bullet) and really like the results.

dmshozer1.... L9x25 uses, and I used 95 grain bullets from Precision Delta...mine were loaded to 1.075 or so OAL...I used 5.2 of WSF

to the best of my memory for the couple of matches I shot them, poppers (without hinges) and some set to fall forward were not a problem...I was frustrated by the fact that I was trying to use two different barrels... one had been bulged with a couple of stuck bullets that chronographed about 150fps slower than the other barrel... unfortunately the bulged barrel shoots exceptionally well and has a slightly more forgiving leade area, and is the one I prefer to use.. so back to the 135's

I just stuck the mag well adapter and 7.5" 9mm upper on the SBR, so will give a real short PCC a run next month...

I’ve been shooting these 100 grain projectiles for well over a year in Steel Challenge. I ream my own chambers in my PCC’s and my pistols, so they work just fine. However, my mouse fart loads are great for steel challenge, but too slow cycling for anything else, plus at 100pf they don’t meet minimum power factor for USPSA.

c9df1ab151ec72b075451a408db6e713.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk