Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First round in a magazine not feeding?

wdfwguy

I loaded some new ammo this week, and the first round out of a mag doesn't always completely chamber.  Maybe 1 out of 5, and always the first round.  The first round sticks about halfway in the chamber, and no issues after that.

I feel like it must be an ammo issue, because that's the only thing that's different.  I did the drop and spin test when I was setting the OAL.  Maybe I need slightly more crimp?

Or does it sound like something else altogether, maybe a gun issue?  Oh, its a CZ Shadow with a conical style bullet.

How are you chambering the 1st round,

are you sling shoting it

using the slide stop to drop the slide

or hand cycling it

the reason I ask is the rest of the rounds feed ok, so it’s ether a ammo problem, mag problem, gun problem or operator error

the trick is to remove each variable until you narrow it down

I only remember the first round not feeding, but I'm sure I hand cycled some and loaded some from slide lock

This afternoon, II tried three different CZs and several different mags, just hand cycling, and had the same issue every fifth or sixth round or so.  But if it's an issue while hand cycling, but not after the first round while being fired, it's not really an issue?  My understanding is that it's not uncommon with CZs using non-RN bullets.

Although, the first round from a mag should feed from slide lock.  And if it's not, and the problem is with several different guns and ammunition, it's almost certainly an ammo issue.

What’s your current OAL? I’m using truncated cone flat point bullets for my shadow 2, TSO and czechmate and had to load them short at around 1.102” oal.

Remember, CZ’s were designed for the ball ammo which are the only available ammo in Eastern Europe where the guns are manufactured. So anything but ball ammo had to be loaded short unless your barrel had been reamed. 

11 hours ago, wdfwguy said:

if it's an issue while hand cycling, but not after the first round while being fired,  it's not really an issue?   

IMHO, it  is  an issue.    :surprise:

One that could come to bite you in your nether parts at the wrong time.

I'd chamber check all my ammo before I load it into a mag, and

bump into my practice bin any rounds that don't PLUNK.

Could be "crimp", or OAL - or brass bulge.   

Whatever it is, I'd eliminate it.

Does this happen with factory ammo ?    ?

I haven't tried any factory ammo...

But I loaded a handful of round nose bullets and they hand cycled perfectly.  So it's unlikely to be crimp.

I was loading the original rounds @ 1.095, then I worked my way down to 1.08 and a few were still hanging up.

I think I'll just leave these bullets for my Glock...

What’s your crimp? Can you post a pic of the round?

You shouldn’t have any problems with that OAL. Might be brass bulge or crimp that’s keeping it from feeding it all the way in.

Edited by George16

Is it possible that it was a recoil spring issue?  I field stripped it this morning and realized it had the factory spring in it, so I swapped it for a 12# CGW.

I'll take a picture, but I took ~200 rounds to the range this morning and they were 100%.

8 hours ago, wdfwguy said:

Is it possible that it was a recoil spring issue?  I field stripped it this morning and realized it had the factory spring in it, so I swapped it for a 12# CGW.

I'll take a picture, but I took ~200 rounds to the range this morning and they were 100%.

Check the the CZ threads, 12# recoil spring for 9mm seems a bit high. I think it’s covering another problem. 

Do your rounds plunk and spin check?

My son runs two CZs, a S2 and SP01, both with truncated cone bullets required an OAL of 1.08. Running Precision Delta FMJ RN at 1.14 perfectly. 

He runs 10# recoil springs and that’s really more than needed for reliability.  

Edited by HesedTech

I don’t think think your recoil spring has anything to do with the malfunctions you experienced. When you field stripped it, did you clean or oil the barrel/slide before putting it back together? Sometimes, too much dirt or carbon buildup can prevent the slide from sliding back into battery when stripping a round from the magazine. Can you measure your crimp? Should be around ~.376 - .377 to prevent setback also if they are too loose.