Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
RangerTrace

RCI M2

So in the short time I've been shooting 3 gun, I learned that it doesn't matter how fast or how slow you are at quad loading if your shotgun won't run........I'm ordering a full blown custom M2 from RCI today.  Thanks again Kurt for the advice!!  Thanks to Alamo Precision Rifles for picking up the tab!!

It's an Older SBE.  I'm not 100% sure if it's an ammo issue for a mechanical issue.  It ran just fine without the extended tube and before it was Cerekoted, but I was only loading 2-3 shells then.  I'm pretty sure Kurt gave the info I need to get it running, I just haven't had a chance to tweak it. 

I’ve been thinking seriously about ordering one too. Just waiting for approval from momma to drop the coin. 

There are 4 great shops out there. In no particular order. RCI, TTI, Triangle shooting Sports, and Rose Action sports! 

One more crosses my mind..... Don't have personal experience, but have heard many great things....Hayes Custom, they run!...... That's all I got!

3 hours ago, kurtm said:

There are 4 great shops out there. In no particular order. RCI, TTI, Triangle shooting Sports, and Rose Action sports! 

One more crosses my mind..... Don't have personal experience, but have heard many great things....Hayes Custom, they run!...... That's all I got!

If you would have seen what RCI did to my SG you would not be saying that. There is absolutely no excuse for the s#!t job they did. 

Well I think I have it narrowed down to tti or rci...haven’t heard anything bad about tti and this is the first complaint I’ve heard of rci

I wouldn’t discount rose action sports.  Steve does some fantastic work, lead time are reasonable and he’s arguably one of the nicest guys you’ll talk to.  Customer service is top notch, super knowledgeable and a regular contributor on the sight.  

On 7/17/2018 at 5:58 AM, louu said:

If you would have seen what RCI did to my SG you would not be saying that. There is absolutely no excuse for the s#!t job they did. 

Do tell

Just throwing one more name in the mix. Hawkeye Ordnance. They did an incredible job on my Franchi Affinity.

On 7/18/2018 at 9:42 AM, IntenseImage said:

Do tell

I sent it in to get the stock capacity rci tube with the captured follower, the wire mod to prevent double feed and the loading port opened up. 

I sent it in a nice double box that I've been using for years to ship guns in.

I got it back really quick, I can't remember the exact amount of time but it was great because it was the start of the season. 

I figured hey I just paid over $500 to get my gun worked on so it should be ready to take to a match, so I went to a match.

I preloaded the tube when I got there and it was like sticking my handsin a bucket of broken glass and old razor blades, I tried not to think about what just happened so I wouldn't lose my cool. The buzzer when off and as soon as I topped off there was blood everywhere, my thumb got shredded in 3 spots. 

The first thing they did wrong was the most inexcusable, the little wire that holds the pin in was installed backwards so it impailed my thumb and I mean deep. 

Second, no one did any kind of finishing work, it was like they just took some die grinders with a bur bit and hacked away. Not very much I might add, I checked out and loaded one of the yackley clans guns and it was way more opened up than mine is. Common sense would tell me that if Tim is holding it in the picture on the website I should be getting the same thing? 

The slot, where the clip for the pin is, was actually sharpened to a razors edge, that sliced my thumb open as well. 

The front edge of the port was squared off to a razors edge with tooling gouges everywhere that were all, you guessed it, really sharp.

There was no wire mod to prevent double feeds done.

When I took the gun apart it was full and I mean FULL of metal shavings from the machining work. No excuse for that, completely unacceptable.

They also didn't put their Lazer etched logo on the side (thank god).

To top it all off return shipping was $50 and they sent it back in a busted ass box that the gun was actually sticking out of. Good thing the ups drivers are honest people. 

Now I can understand losing my box, they probably have a dozen of them in the shop (sarcasm).

I didn't have the time or patients to send it back and why would I if this is the quality of work they are doing. I spent about 6 hours sanding, smoothing and polishing everything out and now it's usable. 

I know I should have called and discussed this with mark himself but you have to understand that I'm not a cool customer, I do not have a fuse. My plan was to have a conversation with him at the 3 man 3 gun this year but that match turned out to be a bust so I didn't go. Side note that I hope I'm wrong about, most companies these days don't give a s*** about the quality of their work, just as long as they get your money they can move on to the next sucker.

Wow something definitely sounds off there. Perhaps a mixup at the shop and it shipped out before being completely finished. Yea Mark was at 3m3g so would have been a good time to discuss

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, IntenseImage said:

Wow something definitely sounds off there. Perhaps a mixup at the shop and it shipped out before being completely finished. Yea Mark was at 3m3g so would have been a good time to discuss

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I had exactly the opposite experience with RCI working on my M3k. I'm in no way affiliated with them, and I'm certainly not going to claim that they're the only game in town for shotgun work, but I had a good experience with them, so I feel compelled to stick up for them a little.

I contacted several different shops with questions about some of the work that I wanted done, and their customer service was by far the most responsive. A lot of people won't get back to you at all, or only after a delay of several days-weeks, but the RCI folks consistently responded to emails and phone calls on the same day. Also, the person talking to you is usually a CS rep who isn't necessarily a gunsmith themselves, and they'll just make things up, or get into a maddening telephone game where you ask a question, they ask the gunsmith a different question, and they give you an answer to yet a third question. As soon as I got into territory that the CS rep at RCI didn't quite understand, they admitted it and gave me a direct line to the machine shop so that I could talk to one of their smiths, who was able to quickly answer all of my questions. That experience was positive enough that it convinced me to spend my money with them.

I sent the gun in in a FedEx shipping tube, and got it back in a larger, better-padded box - my only complaint about that is that the tube of ALG lube that they tossed in there as a freebie burst open during shipping, but I'd say that's more UPS' fault. I sent them the gun in the middle of SHOT Show, so I'm sure that caused a bit of a delay; even with that delay, the turnaround time on the work was about half of what the initial estimate was. They did all the stuff I asked, and fit and finish is great - I've never looked at Tim Yackley's gun in person, but I can at least say that mine looks like the picture on the website. It ran fine out of the box, looked good when I took it down to clean it after the first couple of trips to the range, and it's run in every match that I've taken it to (including this year's Texas 3 Gun Championship, which took place on a range full of moon dust that a ton of other shotguns choked on).

I'm surprised and a little disappointed that they'd send something out in such a sorry state... but I agree that it sounds more like someone grabbing a half-finished project off the bench and sticking it a box by mistake than any representation of the work that they do. Based on my experiences with their customer service, I'm sure they'd have taken care of you if you contacted them.

What’s odd is going to a match without testing the gun and then, it being as whacked as it sounds, not complaining immediately and getting your money back.

With such a small community I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t make it right.

I tested my new TTI at a match with no issues except operator error.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 7/19/2018 at 10:50 AM, louu said:

I sent it in to get the stock capacity rci tube with the captured follower, the wire mod to prevent double feed and the loading port opened up. 

I sent it in a nice double box that I've been using for years to ship guns in.

I got it back really quick, I can't remember the exact amount of time but it was great because it was the start of the season. 

I figured hey I just paid over $500 to get my gun worked on so it should be ready to take to a match, so I went to a match.

I preloaded the tube when I got there and it was like sticking my handsin a bucket of broken glass and old razor blades, I tried not to think about what just happened so I wouldn't lose my cool. The buzzer when off and as soon as I topped off there was blood everywhere, my thumb got shredded in 3 spots. 

The first thing they did wrong was the most inexcusable, the little wire that holds the pin in was installed backwards so it impailed my thumb and I mean deep. 

Second, no one did any kind of finishing work, it was like they just took some die grinders with a bur bit and hacked away. Not very much I might add, I checked out and loaded one of the yackley clans guns and it was way more opened up than mine is. Common sense would tell me that if Tim is holding it in the picture on the website I should be getting the same thing? 

The slot, where the clip for the pin is, was actually sharpened to a razors edge, that sliced my thumb open as well. 

The front edge of the port was squared off to a razors edge with tooling gouges everywhere that were all, you guessed it, really sharp.

There was no wire mod to prevent double feeds done.

When I took the gun apart it was full and I mean FULL of metal shavings from the machining work. No excuse for that, completely unacceptable.

They also didn't put their Lazer etched logo on the side (thank god).

To top it all off return shipping was $50 and they sent it back in a busted ass box that the gun was actually sticking out of. Good thing the ups drivers are honest people. 

Now I can understand losing my box, they probably have a dozen of them in the shop (sarcasm).

I didn't have the time or patients to send it back and why would I if this is the quality of work they are doing. I spent about 6 hours sanding, smoothing and polishing everything out and now it's usable. 

I know I should have called and discussed this with mark himself but you have to understand that I'm not a cool customer, I do not have a fuse. My plan was to have a conversation with him at the 3 man 3 gun this year but that match turned out to be a bust so I didn't go. Side note that I hope I'm wrong about, most companies these days don't give a s*** about the quality of their work, just as long as they get your money they can move on to the next sucker.

Yes, you should have called them immediately to make it right.  Now they'll never get the chance and you won't know why it turned out the way it did.....

My experience with RCI has been absolutely stellar. They did a beautiful job opening the port on my VersaMax and I'm running all RCI components on the VersaMax and my M2. I also just had Mark upgrade my M2 to the new Roth Performance receiver. One of the most notable things is, I bought the +2 extension tube for the VersaMax and the first time I removed it (after testing), I laid it on the table next to me and it rolled off, damaging the threads in a way I could no longer install it.  I called, explained the situation, fessed up it was my fault and asked to order and pay for another.  Mark said he's sending another at no charge and wouldn't let me pay him for it.

Based on my experience and others I know, I believe your SG made it out of the shop prematurely. I also feel, based on my experience, Mark will make it right if you give him the chance.

MB

Great to hear!!  I'm really looking forward to having this baby in my hands!!

I’m trying to decide... buy a m2 and send it to rci or buy the whole gun from rci...having difficulty finding a good price on m2 field 26”.

Squadded with Mark today and I got to check out his new recievers. The things are the kitties titties and all M2 and Breda parts drop in. Look good too. The loading port was a little conservative for my tastes but very usable.

I’m on the fence right now looking at tti and rci...anyone have any experience with the difference in how each company opens the loading port. It looks like tti might open things more forward than the rci.

I bought new M2 26" Field from Buds and had them ship it to Mark. That saved about $400 or so.

Absolutely love the gun!

On 7/25/2018 at 10:26 PM, sheepdog566 said:

I’m on the fence right now looking at tti and rci...anyone have any experience with the difference in how each company opens the loading port. It looks like tti might open things more forward than the rci.

I love Taran, but will all of the John WIck business they are getting, I bet it would be like ordering an Infinity......

MOA is very good with Stoegers.  I have one done by them and it has run flawlessly, so far.