Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I switch from Right to Left hand

kmaultsby

2 hours ago, DKnoch said:

I'm right handed and right eye, so maybe I can't understand the struggle. But it seems if you learn how to shoot with both eyes open (to where you no longer see doubles of sights) that eye dominance wouldn't be much if any of a factor, since both eyes are open anyways. It's not like I cheat my gun towards my right eye, I draw it and hold it centered with my face. My personal belief is eye dominance is more of a perceived problem than an actual problem. But again, that may be my biased speaking from my own experiences

I have the identical perspective …   don't see the problem.    ?

Interesting. I keep both eyes open. However, if I were to close my right eye (I am a lefty), the sights would be aligned. If I close my left eye the sights are off. So, I am still using my dominant left eye, but the right eye is along for the ride rather than splitting the difference with both eyes.

I'm not splitting the difference. Point your finger in front of your face, in the middle. Your dominant eye takes over focus even though it's in the middle of your face. With me, if I hold my gun out and close my right eye, it shifts my focal plane a bit (opposite of you due to having different dominant eye). That being said, it doesn't matter, as long as your dominant eye is seeing the sights, target, or whatever is needed to make the necessary shot, it is fine

Assuming one is placing the gun in the middle of one's body, is the advantage of having eye dominance on the same side as strong hand a matter of better (easier) acquisition, because the gun is lined up with the eye during the presentation process?

One video is suggesting newbies starting shooting on the dominant eye side. For me, I just don't have much dexterity with my left. 

Other videos are suggesting turning the head slightly. I see the advantage for alignment, but if the gun is in the middle, I would think a right handed, right eye dominant person would have a similar problem (with the eye not aligned). So I'm thinking that the advantage must be during presenting?  Also, I've heard that turning the head becomes difficult with multiple targets left and right. I found that when trying it at USPSA matches (turn head to left to see target, but then have to turn back slightly to align eye). I'm leaning on trying to just keep everything straight and work on acquiring as fast as I can.

I'm thinking, for me, the bigger issue is the grip strength difference. If I take the acquisition time out of the equation, it seems like the one variable is my difference in strength. I can squeeze much harder with my right as a support hand. I'm trying to build strength in my left, so I'm hoping that will make a difference. It seems to (slowly) be improving.

$0.20 (adjusted for inflation)

It's better IMHO to move the gun to the dominant eye.  I don't accept what he's saying about "compromising the triangle" aspect.   I am cross eye dominant and my right eye is weak even with correction.  I did teach myself to shoot rifle left handed when i was a teenager due to this.

• 1 month later...

I'm a left eye cross-dominant as well.  When I took up shotgun, everything I read suggested go lefty, so I did.  With pistol I've never considered it.  I always practice some holding left, but I've never tried to compare accuracy or trigger control?

Your right brain deals with creativity, imagination, intuition, 3-D forms and your left hand. . . so maybe the signal is better?

I don't know the rules but it seems like it would be easier to hold left when moving left or shooting around an obstacle on your right and holding right moving right. . .

also for reloading.  Seems awkward to hold right, run left while pointing down range and reloading.

• 4 weeks later...

To me, this is only a problem if you make it a problem.  I'm also left eye dominant, right handed.  I did develop a head tilt years ago, and when someone noticed it and pointed it out I corrected it.  Our sport is bi-directional.  Don't tilt anything and just train yourself to present to the left eye.  This way, leaning left, or right or whatever side the targets are on you can just engage and not have some kind of preference.   

Seems like you have a grip, trigger control issue more than anything.  Possibly you are better at shooting with your "weak hand" because you are more careful about the trigger manipulation because it's less habitual / familiar than the strong hand.  Or to put it another way,  you have let some poor (i.e., rushed) trigger prep habits creep into your right handed shooting. 

So to sum it up.  This seems like this is just an issue of more trigger time, and getting more accurate with your right hand.   Have fun!