Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixing powders of different lot numbers

Chrisyoung

Hey I have a almost empty bottle of titegroup there barely enough in it to cover the baffle in my dillon hopper. Can I mix this very small amount in my new jug of titegroup from a different lot and still be safe. Being cheap( obviously using titegroup) I don't want to throw it out but not causing a unsafe situation or ruining a new jug of powder is more important. Thanks in advance. 

5 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

That's what I usually do …   still here    :) 

Thanks jack that's what I'm going to do. I didn't think a few hundred grains would make much difference in a 8 lb jug. 

I bought 12lbs of titegroup.  I just opened my second 4lb jug.  I just pour it into the hopper on top of the old powder.  Mix away along as it's the same powder, it won't hurt you.

3 minutes ago, stick said:

I bought 12lbs of titegroup.  I just opened my second 4lb jug.  I just pour it into the hopper on top of the old powder.  Mix away along as it's the same powder, it won't hurt you.

...usually.

Solo1000 and Prima V have both had instances where they changed in velocity by nearly 10 percent at one point, when the lot # changed.

• 1 month later...

Usually doesn't matter, unless you are trying to meet some particular Power Factor number. 

For regular plinking and practice it makes no difference.

But I had to adjust the load when aiming at PF of 172, by noticeable amount.

On 7/12/2018 at 5:35 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

...usually.

Solo1000 and Prima V have both had instances where they changed in velocity by nearly 10 percent at one point, when the lot # changed.

Wow - Did they inform you of the change ?    If not, that would be the last time I would be using their product !!

53 minutes ago, anm2_man said:

Wow - Did they inform you of the change ?    If not, that would be the last time I would be using their product !!

Nope. It happens. Prima V did the same thing as soon as it got popular on here.

I would never advise someone to switch to a new lot # of their favorite powder and head to Nationals without verifying their velocity over a Chrono first.