Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newb Question re: reload data

Falloutboy89

First of all apologies if this is (and it probably is) somewhere on this forum. I'm trying to find as much info as I can.

I'm new here and new to pistol reloading. I just purchased a 650 and plan to start with 9mm until I get the hang of it. This isn't for major/minor or anything in particular. My wife and I shoot steel matches a few times a month.

I'm struggling with finding reloading data that matches what I was hoping to start with. Any help would be appreciated.

I have bought in small quantities so far for experimentation purposes. Here's what I have so far in terms of materials:

• Powder: Hodgdon HP-38 and Hodgdon Titegroup

• Primers: CCI Small Pistol Primers

• Bullets: Hornady 9mm .355 124 gr FMJ RN

• Brass: I have a small batch of new Hornady brass but mostly mixed brass from years of saving

When I look up data on Hodgdon's site the recipes are very limited... In fact the only bullet they list is 124 gr Berry's Hollow Base Round Nose Thick Plate. Which I could have bought and still can if need be. I've reloaded shotshell for a decade or so but I have never strayed from the manufactures exact recipes.

So...

Can I use those starting loads to begin?

Is there recipe data online that covers a wider range of bullets, powders, primers, etc.?

Which reloading book/bible would you recommend? Is one better than the others?

Sorry for the rambling. Trying to get started but not afraid to take it slow. Want to make sure I'm doing things the right way.

You can find a similar recipe and go from there. In shotshells, you tend to stick to the recipe exactly. Something you don't necessarily do in pistol reloading as there are just so many options out there. Start at the minimum charge or perhaps below that even and work up slowly looking for pressure signs, etc. Given your info, I personally would not be afraid to start with the recipe you used as an example. But I'm just a guy on the internet

You've got some great start there with the powder and bullets.

You should be able to use the starting loads.   You should run The Plunk Test first,

to decide the OAL.

Search Reloading 9mm for LOADS of loads (pun intended)    ?

Many will recommend that you never reload without owning at

least three good manuals - I think they're unnecessary if you can

connect to the chat group   :)

Hope you have a chronograph - you really shouldn't develop

loads without one.

Good luck    :)

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t consider published data to be recipes but rather a statement of results from their testing, meant to be a guide. For example if you determine your oal for your projectile will be longer than what they tested your pressure and velocity will be slightly lower, so I would jump in toward the higher end of their range. Similarly if my oal was shorter, pressures higher, start at the Bottom or even lower. You don’t need to find your exact components listed ( except powder type ). I see no issues using 125 gr information to load for 120gr projectiles of the same type because I know it will work just reduced  velocity. A little research on this forum will also tell you how to allow fo difference between eg jacketed and plated. As always use caution, check for pressure signs etc and if you can chronograph your reloads really helps make sure you are on track. 

If we didn’t learn to interpret and extrapolate I don’t think anyone would be loadin 9 major. 

15 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You've got some great start there with the powder and bullets.

You should be able to use the starting loads.   You should run The Plunk Test first,

to decide the OAL.

Search Reloading 9mm for LOADS of loads (pun intended)    ?

Many will recommend that you never reload without owning at

least three good manuals - I think they're unnecessary if you can

connect to the chat group   :)

Hope you have a chronograph - you really shouldn't develop

loads without one.

Good luck    :)

But also remember to create a load book to log load data and chrono results.  Once you develop a load for a specific bullet weight with all of the pertinent information (OAL, primer, powder charge, bullet type & chrono data) it needs to be recorded for future use.  Each bullet reacts differently in each gun.  

Thanks to everyone who replied. I posted that and then went out of town with little to no cell reception. I was excited to read through everyone's advice this morning. I will probably follow-up with some specific questions shortly based on your advice. Thanks again and I appreciate your patience. I will pay it forward when I get some experience.