Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Organizing and marking springs

dukduk

I use a dremel cutoff wheel to put nicks on the end of the spring to tally the pound rating. For example, a 15lb recoil spring will have 5 nicks and a 10lb recoil spring will have 1 nick.

10 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

I use a dremel cutoff wheel to put nicks on the end of the spring to tally the pound rating. For example, a 15lb recoil spring will have 5 nicks and a 10lb recoil spring will have 1 nick.

If you put the nick in the middle of the spring, it would be easier to see. . . .? maybe that's not such a good idea.

15 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Genius, thank you. Would a 60 degree file work also? Dremels creep me out, angle grinders too but not table saws

Edited by dukduk

if I can't put things back in their original packaging and then in the plastic organizing box then i've done these various things for all kinds of springs that might come in different poundages.

• close the see through lid. write the numbers on the top of the lid with sharpie over their corresponding storage slot. clean it off with rubbing alcohol if a change is needed.
  • take blue painters tape and wrap some around the spring with a tab. i write the poundage on the tab.
  • bought 5 distinctly different colors nail polish. on a 3x5 card i painted a spot and wrote a number next to it. then i painted an end of the spring the correct corresponding color. i taped the card in the lid of the box.
  • i also have a post it note for each gun where i've written what spring type and weight is it and what date they were placed there. if i make a change i just date and write up a new post it. i find this helpful for tracking preventive maintenance spring changes and if i have a different set up in the practice gun versus the match gun.
  • cut the label or other id off the package they came in and place that in the slot/tray. then only new things go in that slot. if a spring gets removed it is to get thrown away. so no mixing and matching of old and new stock.

2 hours ago, dukduk said:

Genius, thank you. Would a 60 degree file work also? Dremels creep me out, angle grinders too but not table saws

A file will likely work as well but it would be harder and take longer to make several nicks on each spring. The main problem with labeling springs with tape or other removable materials is that once the label is removed you don't know what the spring rate it is. You have to remember the spring rate and this can be problematic, especially if you are doing spring testing and you have several different ones laying around without labels on them. Doing the nicks on the end of the springs permanently marks them so you always know what weight each spring is. 

I have dipped the spring ends in Testor's enamel paint.  A good deal of it will flake off during use, but enough will remain for ID purposes through many, many rounds.  You do have to pick a color standard and stick to it!

5 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

without labels on

yep that's the trick. if you're going to be doing wholesale changes of things you have to be prepared to pause for a second and tape and relabel. it's all a matter of one's own working style and pacing. if people aren't comfortable with your mechanical marking system there are alternatives. i use my different methods because i can apply it to anything from a tiny CZ sear spring or fpb lifter spring all the way through recoil and mag springs.

Edited by rowdyb

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 9:12 AM, rowdyb said:

if I can't put things back in their original packaging and then in the plastic organizing box then i've done these various things for all kinds of springs that might come in different poundages.

• close the see through lid. write the numbers on the top of the lid with sharpie over their corresponding storage slot. clean it off with rubbing alcohol if a change is needed.
  • take blue painters tape and wrap some around the spring with a tab. i write the poundage on the tab.
  • bought 5 distinctly different colors nail polish. on a 3x5 card i painted a spot and wrote a number next to it. then i painted an end of the spring the correct corresponding color. i taped the card in the lid of the box.
  • i also have a post it note for each gun where i've written what spring type and weight is it and what date they were placed there. if i make a change i just date and write up a new post it. i find this helpful for tracking preventive maintenance spring changes and if i have a different set up in the practice gun versus the match gun.
  • cut the label or other id off the package they came in and place that in the slot/tray. then only new things go in that slot. if a spring gets removed it is to get thrown away. so no mixing and matching of old and new stock.

Those some good tips.   I need to write down when I change them and keep an idea of how many rounds are on them.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Different color fingernail polish works great. Use the same colors for all different types of pistols and just have a master card that states which color = what poundage. 

Dollar store has cheap fingernail polish for all the unmarried shooters. 

16 hours ago, jpm2953 said:

Different color fingernail polish works great. Use the same colors for all different types of pistols and just have a master card that states which color = what poundage. 

Dollar store has cheap fingernail polish for all the unmarried shooters. 

How does it hold up?

My issue is which spring did I last leave in the gun last year?  Since I've been shooting in another division?