Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Beginnersonly

Base pads in Production?

Im new to USPSA(4 matches under my belt) and I ve been shooting limited with my G34 and 3 magazines. Im going to move into production and as Ive been researching gear ect, I noticed that some people are shooting in production with aftermarket base pads.  Does it help with reloading and ejecting the magazine?  

We use them for two reasons: the first is a pinch more weight to help empty mags fall more quickly.

More importantly? Better ergonomics when it comes to drawing a mag with a good engagement with the heel of your palm. So they index and seat consistently.

However, practicing reloads at home several nights a week will make you much faster than new basepads will. It’s free too. Just not as sexy.

49 minutes ago, Beginnersonly said:

Does it help with reloading and ejecting the magazine?  

IMHO - the answer is NO...

Posted (edited)

I personally think they’re a waste of time and money in production. When I moved to Limited, they were necessary to accommodate a mag well with the added bonus of extra capacity. One more advantage in addition to those mentioned above: most basepad designs allow for easy mag take down which comes in handy if shooting in dusty environments where you might need to clean out mags mid-match.

Also echo that if this is your fourth match, reload practice would be a lot more valuable than basepads. But this is a hobby designed to drain your bank account. If you’re feeling the need...

Edited by Mcfoto

All the above reasons, and if you ever decide to shoot co, or limited minor you have the extra capacity that aftermarket base pads provide.

On a Glock I think the weight could help the mag drop.

That said, two years in production with a G17 I can count the number of times a mag has hung on one hand with fingers leftover. Some possibly all of those were Magpuls, so I only use OEM for standard cap. now.

Taking Glock mags apart is a chore. Never done it to my own, never needed to. Dropped in sand, gravel, grass, puddles, and snow, stomped on, doesn't matter, brush off, load up no issues.

The biggest advantage I find with aftermarket base pads is that their more durable for some mags.  I run 16 round mecgars for my CZ 75 Shadow and the factory base pads on those magazines will dent and become difficult to remove after a few hard drops.  The aluminum aftermarket base pads are indestructible.

Thanks for all the info fellas.  I'll just stick to practice reloads at home for now, especially since they are $$$.  Ill save the money for ammo