Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where are all the PCC shooters???

Got back into USPSA this year and after shooting Production decided to commit to PCC.

Have shot a half dozen local matches and I’ve been the only PCC shooter in my squad every time.  Most at the local was 7 PCC shooters.  Was really hoping to have another shooter to bounce ideas/questions.

What kind of PCC turn out have others been seeing at their local or even Level II matches?

I'm still seeing quite a bit of PCC shooters.  The match I'm shooting on the 21st has 8 registered for PCC.  We have 80 shooters. Around 10%

Edited by stick

3 hours ago, bimmerboy318 said:

Got back into USPSA this year and after shooting Production decided to commit to PCC.

Have shot a half dozen local matches and I’ve been the only PCC shooter in my squad every time.  Most at the local was 7 PCC shooters.  Was really hoping to have another shooter to bounce ideas/questions.

What kind of PCC turn out have others been seeing at their local or even Level II matches?

Talk to the match director about being resquadded with one of the better & nicer PCC guys next time, well before the match starts.

10 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Talk to the match director about being resquadded with one of the better & nicer PCC guys next time, well before the match starts.

Or if you use practiscore, Check out the squad list before the match and move to a squad with PCC shooters.

Roughly 30% of our USPSA and Outlaw falling steel matches are PCC shooters. It's somewhat regional in the area. Some match directors are stuck in the mindset that it's still a fad. I'm happy to sign folks up for PCC. I wanted to shoot PCC badly enough to start a monthly match and end up help run another established monthly. We actually encourage folks to sign up for multiple divisions in both our matches. The falling steel is more of a 3 gun crowd and those folks are used to bringing pistol/shotgun/rifle to matches so it's normal for them. USPSA shooters have caught on that it's way more fun to shoot PCC AND pistol at a match. It definitely helps our match buy new steel and props faster :cheers:

Looking at results of Area matches PCC seems to be between single stack and production in terms of popularity. Numbers are certainly up from last year. I'm glad USPSA had a standalone PCC championship match. I think it's a huge deal to put on a match like that to show shooters and the industry there's support for PCC in USPSA.

Now if we could just get USPSA multigun off life support and *insert dream request* allow suppressors on PCC's and rifles I might just believe dreams can come true. 

Some of the local clubs welcome the PCC competitor while some seem to just tolerate them.  At least all of them will allow PCC.

Compared to late last year and early this year the growth has slowed down but it seems that maybe a third of new shooters decided to start with carbines.  Some of the earlier adopters of PCC will switch back and forth between their old Divisions and the new PCC Division.  That also seems to be match dependent.

I signed up to shoot a nearby Level 2 match that so far has only a handful of PCC shooters registered but since the Match Director is one of them, I decided to give it a go.

At the Area 7 Championship a couple weeks ago I think there were about 30 or so PCC shooters(out of a total of 333 shooters). My small home club in Vermont draws one consistently(me) and occasionally 1-3 more(30-50 total shooters). When I visit a club in southern New Hampshire I think there is about 10 or so(round 100 total shooters).

21 hours ago, ATLDave said:

Tons of them here in GA.  

I am a dedicated PCC shooter in the GA area. I see about 10 - 15% or more per outdoor match are PCC. the indoor matches can have one (me) or half the squad. As ATLDave said, we have tons of them here in all classes from GM down to U

Since many of the clubs in my area have switched from 3gun to UML this year, most of the guys I shoot with have started shooting the PCC-only division.  They seem to prefer shooting their PCCs in multi-gun matches over USPSA for some reason.

Now that USPSA has made the division official a lot of the pcc folks are busy petitioning for inclusion in trap and skeet. 

I suspect you you will see them return to pistol matches after the shotgun match issues are ironed out. 

At the local place I shoot the USPSA guys seems to straight up dislike the idea of PCC and build stages accordingly. For perspective, last time I shot USPSA pistol they used every single wall the club has. I had to throw together a stage at the last minute that morning when someone backed out and there was essentially nothing left to use. There were lots of tight quarters with a maze of walls that were difficult to move a carbine around in, and short pistol shots to avoid any PCC advantage. Still, I think there were a few other PCC shooters out that day. I thought the stages were pretty fun just because they had a different flavor from MG, but I got the impression that there was an effort to foil the PCC shooters. I broke an extractor on my second stage and ended up shooting my pistol anyway.

Our Multigun stages have a lot more going on and are much more wide open, making the PCC a lot more fun. But they also typically have a 200 or 250 yard stage that keeps me from using mine until I can suck less at those ranges with a 9mm carbine. Occasionally though, the MG matches only go to 100 yards, which I think is an effort to let the PCC guys come out and play but I don't see a big PCC attendance there either. ETA: Just checked the scores from Saturday, where the longest shot was 100 yards, not a single PCC shooter.

Tons of people, including myself shoot PCC at the Steel Challenge matches there but I think PCC is a lot more fun in an action oriented match.

Edited by cityofthesouth