Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Parts for my STI to fit my hand.

CheekyChung

I've been building my "shopping" list for parts to make my STI fit my small hands better. Any recommendations would be appreciated; I'm fairly new to the 2011/1911 aftermarket, so I'm not too sure of what options are out there.

Trigger - STI Short trigger https://dawsonprecision.com/trigger-sti-2011-hicap-short-curved-by-sti/

I can't justify the SV trigger unless I planned on swapping them out constantly.

Magazine release - I'm looking for a mag release that reaches back like this one https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=STIMB&n=STI-Magazine-Release-Button

Slide stops - Shooting Sports Innovations w/ thumb rest. https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=ACSSB&n=Shooting-Sports-Innovations-Thumb-Rest-Slide-Stops

My biggest issue as of now is my support thumb riding the arm of the slide lever and locking the slide back. It's also a cheaper and less riskier option than drilling my frame for a separate *thumb rest [generic]*.

Grip Safety - Ed Brown grip safety. https://dawsonprecision.com/grip-safety-1911-memory-groove-series-70-by-ed-brown/

Pictures seem like it'll reduce the thickness from trigger to the back of the frame, but there aren't measurements anywhere to compare? Also, not sure if blending/gunsmithing is necessary.

Gunsmithing - How much material can you remove from the grip and frame before risking weakening them too much? Also on the DVC Limited, is the frame hard chromed like the slide or just stainless?

Don't forget the grip and safeties. Both of these items may help you out. I know that the safety made a big difference for me with comfort. 

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=ES-STI-CB&n=Extreme-Shooters-Black-Costa-STI-Grip

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=WC423S&n=Wilson-High-Ride-Ambi-Thumb-Safety--Stainless

I'm assuming your doing all this because you have small hands. 

Before you goninto buying all that stuff send your grip off to Jason at Extreme Shooters LLC. His company does the grips for STI's Costa and DVC lines. You can send in your grip in lieu of buying a new one to save a bunch of cash. 

Get thr trigger guard double undercut and ask them to remove as much material on the transition from front strap to side panels as safely possible. If indeed you have small hands get the "maximum reduction" option.  As far as which stipple job to get I like both, the Costa and the DVC. 

The grip service completely changes feel and your hold on the gun. It's going to be the best money you will spend and should be the first thing you do. 

Ohh and the DVC Limited is hard chromes steel. As far as I know STI doesn't currently make a stainless frame, only steel and AL "alloy". 

6 hours ago, Descartian said:

I'm assuming your doing all this because you have small hands. 

Before you goninto buying all that stuff send your grip off to Jason at Extreme Shooters LLC. His company does the grips for STI's Costa and DVC lines. You can send in your grip in lieu of buying a new one to save a bunch of cash. 

Get thr trigger guard double undercut and ask them to remove as much material on the transition from front strap to side panels as safely possible. If indeed you have small hands get the "maximum reduction" option.  As far as which stipple job to get I like both, the Costa and the DVC. 

The grip service completely changes feel and your hold on the gun. It's going to be the best money you will spend and should be the first thing you do. 

Ohh and the DVC Limited is hard chromes steel. As far as I know STI doesn't currently make a stainless frame, only steel and AL "alloy". 

I agree with this, get the small Extreme Grip thats undercut. Great start.

I'd pin the grip safety down and see how you like it. Add a mag release like you mentioned. And a STI short curved is a pretty good option for a trigger.

My STI already has the Extreme Shooters DVC grip, and their smallest grip option(frame or service) only reduces material on the MSH, which doesn't really help out with my grip/trigger reach problem. 

I was wondering if it was possible to remove material in these areas.

ija9tBq.jpg

Edited by CheekyChung

I’ve got fairly small hands (can easily fit women’s size small gloves), the short curved STI trigger is a worthy change. The other stuff is just expensive fluff that does nothing to help poor technique (ie your support side thumb should not be resting on the slide stop shelf if you have a proper grip, unless you literally have micro-midget sized hands). 

Shaving down the areas you’ve indicated will be marginal at the very best, & likely will do nothing but significantly reduce the resale value of your pistol.

Overall, if you have small hands, you’re not going to get everything on a 2011 to feel as if it were made for your small hands... 

What I did to compensate for my small hands is to simply shoot them more to develop the necessary skills to shoot them proficiently. 

Edited by SPL15

If I had small hands, I'd seriously consider the CZ line ...

However, when I switched from a Browning Hi-Power (BHP)

to a Colt 1911, didn't think I'd ever get used to the blockiness

and huge size of the grip (comparably).

Didn't take long and I got used to the 1911 and thought the

fantastic BHP was "too small" for my hands.

You might want to give it a little "hands on" experience and

see if you get used to the 2011....   Good luck    :) 

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'd start with a short curved trigger and see what that gets you. Like above cutting that stuff isn't going to get you much.

I did the same.  Short curved trigger.  Try that first.

On 7/15/2018 at 2:26 AM, SPL15 said:

I’ve got fairly small hands (can easily fit women’s size small gloves), the short curved STI trigger is a worthy change. The other stuff is just expensive fluff that does nothing to help poor technique (ie your support side thumb should not be resting on the slide stop shelf if you have a proper grip, unless you literally have micro-midget sized hands). 

Shaving down the areas you’ve indicated will be marginal at the very best, & likely will do nothing but significantly reduce the resale value of your pistol.

Overall, if you have small hands, you’re not going to get everything on a 2011 to feel as if it were made for your small hands... 

What I did to compensate for my small hands is to simply shoot them more to develop the necessary skills to shoot them proficiently. 

Just received and installed my short curved trigger. Helped a bit, but the meat between my first and second knuckle still push on the thick part of the grip(the second picture).

I forgot to take a mental note of how thick that part is, but anyone know if there’s room to dremel part of that section or at least round it out? Or is it thin and the trigger bow is right behind it?

On 7/15/2018 at 8:43 AM, L3324temp said:

If someone at your local club has a PT Evo grip on their gun give it try. I have somewhat small hands and the PT got rid of all my issues.

+1 on the PT or give a look at the CK Arms E2. I have one of these and love it. The grip is not as aggressive as the PT but has a very similar contour. It's a lot more than the plastic grips, but it will increase resale value and it comes with the MSH, Faux Grip safety, mag release and mag-well.