Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Issue

hitman_usmc

Just toss the factory spring and follower and replace with Grams .38 super kit. Use 13 coil for the 170, 11 coil for the 140. You may not get more than 28 rounds in the 170 but the reliability is more than worth a maybe 29.

On 7/10/2018 at 9:59 PM, Steelix said:

You need to grind the follower so it does not lock the slide back and that is it.

I doubt this is the problem. 

That normally doesn't happen until the last or second to last round and it's because the mag catch isn't ground down enough.  

I would check all the dimensions and make sure they are in spec. I don't think this particular issue is caused by the feed lips at the top, however it is similar to an issue I had. The resolution was me was the width of the tube near the the top; about 4 rounds down. ChuckS mentioned this. 

What happens is as the rounds come up the transition to a single stack is to steep allowing the rounds to be too wide apart and not stack smoothly. 

Measure 1" down in the groove (see picture) and them measure the width there. It should be around  .58"  My stock STI 170mm tubes were .61 and I had the same issue. once they are tuned up I haven't had an issue with them. 

I hope this helps

mag-tuning.png

34 minutes ago, schaet said:

I would check all the dimensions and make sure they are in spec. I don't think this particular issue is caused by the feed lips at the top, however it is similar to an issue I had. The resolution was me was the width of the tube near the the top; about 4 rounds down. ChuckS mentioned this. 

What happens is as the rounds come up the transition to a single stack is to steep allowing the rounds to be too wide apart and not stack smoothly. 

Measure 1" down in the groove (see picture) and them measure the width there. It should be around  .58"  My stock STI 170mm tubes were .61 and I had the same issue. once they are tuned up I haven't had an issue with them. 

I hope this helps

Yeah, tube. And, by the way, Beven Grams does not recommend that his springs and followers be used with MBX tubes since they were not designed for that tube. It may work, may not. And not very likely if your tube is already out of spec.

Beven does say his spring and follower will work in MBX mags and they will solve most issues with those mags. I have Grams springs and followers in MBX 170 mags and they work flawlessly with 29 rounds in 38 super comp.

I'll check that area of the tube. Do you just use a small hammer to adjust it if it's too large?
No hammer!! You can't control or uniformly bring it in. You're best bet is to use a vice, preferably with soft jaws, a rag will do. What you want to do it walk it in slowly. You can always bring it in, but taking it out because you went too far will be tough.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

And take apart the mag. You're going to work on the tube. If you look on you tube you'll find a bunch of examples on how to do it. I think Adam from Atlas Gunworks has a video up too.
Take your time, no need to get it right the first time. Measure, measure, measure. It's not hard to do.
Also, check all the dimensions. You'll be able to find what they need to be by doing some googling.
If you can't find them I have them written down on my bench. Let me know and I'll get the to you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, TONY BARONE said:

Beven does say his spring and follower will work in MBX mags and they will solve most issues with those mags. I have Grams springs and followers in MBX 170 mags and they work flawlessly with 29 rounds in 38 super comp.

Not sure where you got that but he definitely does not recommend it.