Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Issue

hitman_usmc

I have been using MBX 140 and 170 magazines for the past several months.  They started off flawless but overtime I'm having a reoccurring issue.  A round will not move all the way up into the correct position to feed.  The nose isn't dragging on the front, nor are any of the subsequent rounds.  The strangest thing is it is a almost always the fourth round from empty that does this on multiple mags.  All of the other rounds before and after the 4th from empty feed perfectly.  I thought it might be the magazine springs getting weak since I can't find anything dragging inside to prevent the full force of the spring to push the follower/rounds.  I replaced all the springs (with MBX springs) but this continues to happen more often than not.  I checked the feed lips and they are correct per the MBX and Atlas videos.  

magissue2.JPG

magissue3.JPG

Edited by hitman_usmc

That's the exact problem.  All the pictures are of the malfunction I'm getting  It just so happens to be the fourth round from empty.  All of the other rounds are up much higher and parallel to the feed lips.  I can't figure out why this is happening.  

I just loaded up an MBX with 4 rounds, and it is still parallel with the feedlips.

Have you tried changing the follower?  If the spring didn't make a difference, that's about the only other thing to change.

If the rest of the rounds are parallel, it probably isn't the feed lips.

Just a random thought, are any rounds too long and hitting the magazine catch hole?

I could try the follower.  The are stock MBX followers that I've never changed.  Seems weird that the follower would only have an issue with a round in one particular spot but it's worth a shot.  All the rounds are at 1.165"

Yeah, that's the frustrating part.  I watched every video and checked everything I could before bothering everyone here for help.  But it's getting frustrating to the point I feel like throwing my open gear in the ocean and going back to CO.

I'll give you $100 for it! :)

I had a mag spring get stuck on a stage.  Replaced the spring, but didn't let it seat and had a single-shot Open gun during yesterday's match.

It's always something.

Edited by Trent1k1

1 minute ago, hitman_usmc said:

2 of 6 so far.

I have one of 7-ish magazines that also will occasionally do a similar feed issue.  Contact MBX and they may offer to replace, they did for me.

In the meantime, it's a practice magazine, don't even bother using it in matches.

Hitman, look at the top of your mag in the picture vs the top of the mag the other guy posted. 

See how the dimpled control rib on yours stops a little short of the top. 

See if the two mags it's happening in are the same style. 

That's the exact problem.  All the pictures are of the malfunction I'm getting  It just so happens to be the fourth round from empty.  All of the other rounds are up much higher and parallel to the feed lips.  I can't figure out why this is happening.  

4th round from empty. Ok, have you loaded 10 rounds (I know I know, 10 round count can be a number that irks people...) load 12 rounds and see if there is malfunction 4 rounds from empty. Try that with 15 rounds too.

Trying to isolate if it Is the 4th round from the follower that causes malfunction or a specific number of rounds from “the top”...

I've tested with fully loaded mags, 15, and 10.  99% of the time it's that magical 4th round.  

Magical indeed.... transition from double to single ????

Have you tried swapping internals from good mags with these “bad” ones ? Please mark each item with a permanent marker so you know what belongs where....

So when you changed the magazine springs did you make sure the first coil was bent up. It's when you load the mag the bullets go from angle up to flat, to stack inside the mag. Now when the bullets come back out they have to go from flat to angle again and that's what yours is not doing. So buy putting more angle on first coil that helps it out. 

You could also try one grams spring and follower. I run the MBX spring and follower until I have your problem, and that happens about 3-4 month and the change them out for grams. Grams will last a lot longer. I had my first grams spring give up and it was close to a year old.