Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PC carbine

42 minutes ago, wtturn said:

lol, I do okay.

I didn't realize this was somehow personal for you.

I didn't see any Rugers at Nationals a few months ago, nor at any of the level 2 matches I shot last year, hence my question.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

You'd do better with a fancy gun

Isn't that what I'm supposed to glean from this thread? 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like a great steel challenge gun, I think the inherent limitations for USPSA or action shooting are pretty obvious.

It is. All I have done to mine is put a fiber optic front sight on it. It’s heavy but still fun to shoot. If I see you at a match you can try it out.
17 hours ago, ZackJones said:

I bought it from a guy on Facebook. He’s supposed to be sending me a few to sell at matches. Every time some one sees it they want one.

bfedf4454b55415b670ba5e5f613c455.jpg

Looks nice, but the front and rear sights were the first things I removed when I got the rifle, put an adapter on the rear sight platform and mounted a mini red dot.

Edited by vluc
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:02 PM, ZackJones said:

I bought it from a guy on Facebook. He’s supposed to be sending me a few to sell at matches. Every time some one sees it they want one.

bfedf4454b55415b670ba5e5f613c455.jpg

Zack, that looks like a Williams Fire Sight. Did the screw holes match Ruger's and did it just screw in... or was drilling & tapping a new hole needed.

8 hours ago, vluc said:

Looks nice, but the front and rear sights were the first things I removed when I got the rifle, put an adapter on the rear sight platform and mounted a mini red dot.

I did the same thing.  Both bmiller (a poster here) and Taccom sell Picatinny rail adapters that replace the rear sight and make a great mounting point for a mini red dot.  I have a Vortex Venom on mine.  

Whose adapter did you go with?
This looks like the perfect Carbine to introduce new shooter to centerfire rifles with, let them try out some action games and have a lot of fun with on a plate rack. I have an AR-9, and a Beretta CX4 Storm and don’t care for either of them.

Can anyone tell me how the Ruger runs when dirty? I hate cleaning guns and only do it when they stop running. Will this run 3,000-5,000 rounds between cleanings?

Thanks.
19 hours ago, GOF said:

Zack, that looks like a Williams Fire Sight. Did the screw holes match Ruger's and did it just screw in... or was drilling & tapping a new hole needed.

I'm not sure if it's a modified Williams or his own creation. It was a simple task to install. Just remove the stock one and install this one with a tab of locktite.

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

This looks like the perfect Carbine to introduce new shooter to centerfire rifles with, let them try out some action games and have a lot of fun with on a plate rack. I have an AR-9, and a Beretta CX4 Storm and don’t care for either of them.

Can anyone tell me how the Ruger runs when dirty? I hate cleaning guns and only do it when they stop running. Will this run 3,000-5,000 rounds between cleanings?

Thanks.

5000 rounds without cleaning a blow back gun

I can not answer your your question because I clean my rigs after every match. Just like I don’t like a dirty house, car, clothing, etc. I would never run my gunthat dirty. 

Maybe someone else can chime in.

I can not answer your your question because I clean my rigs after every match. Just like I don’t like a dirty house, car, clothing, etc. I would never run my guns that dirty. 

Yeah, that may be a lot to ask, but I get over 5000 rounds between cleanings on my Glock 34 so I was hoping for a Carbine that would be similar. Heck, I don’t even remember the last time I cleaned my S&W 625 Revo...
But this Ruger Carbine definitely intrigues me. Looks like it would be a lot of fun to shoot, and great for new shooters too.
2 hours ago, BigBamBoo said:

I can not answer your your question because I clean my rigs after every match. Just like I don’t like a dirty house, car, clothing, etc. I would never run my gunthat dirty. 

Is it a straight blow back?  I admit I've never looked into how it works... Is the bolt just heavy enough to keep the breach closed until the round has exited the barrel?

13 hours ago, Cuz said:

Thanks.

Made my own from an H&R Pardner picatinny rail that I cut down.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IGICMVS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The holes were an exact match.  I cut the rail to just cover the mount area and uses the existing Ruger screws.  Need to be sure of your alignment but it has held up well.  I have been in touch with Brian (who shoots at our clubs) about a thinner rail that sits lower, more like a dovetail mount on a hand gun, to lower the sight radius so it is closer to the bore axis.  While I use a Vortex Venom on my Glock MOS for Carry Optics, I have a couple of Burris Fastfires, put one on an adapter an placed it on the rail.  I like it but want it even lower.710ElPakB0L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by vluc
6 hours ago, Cuz said:

Yeah, that may be a lot to ask, but I get over 5000 rounds between cleanings on my Glock 34 so I was hoping for a Carbine that would be similar.

LOL, was wanting the same thing.  While you have to clean it, I just ran a bore snake through it after 400 rounds.  Works fine, have to see what it can handle.  It's almost like the carbine that Glock should have made.

I finally got around to testing 150gr Syntech ammo on my PC9. It ran 48 rounds before an FTE, after shooting 115gr factory stuff fine for 100 rounds. Also the moment I started shooting the slow stuff the magazine was immediately dirtier. I assume that means more of the gasses are exiting that way with the slower ammo (870fps). I don't think there is anyway you could shoot 5000 rounds with slower ammo without issues but then again I'd never let it go that far on any of my firearms.

LOL, was wanting the same thing.  While you have to clean it, I just ran a bore snake through it after 400 rounds.  Works fine, have to see what it can handle.  It's almost like the carbine that Glock should have made.

Well, I picked one up yesterday so I guess I’ll find out. I mounted a Burris FF3 to the rail, and that seems to allow a decent shooting position for now so I’ll leave the sights alone. I don’t care for the thread protector on the end of the barrel so I think I’ll put a brake on it mostly just to protect the muzzle crown from damage. I ran about 100 rounds through it last night in the stock configuration to make sure it ran ok. Now I’ll order the Taccom parts and install the Glock mag insert and see how far I get between cleanings...

What muzzle brake are you all using on this rifle? Again, I’m not concerned with performance, mostly just a short one to protect the muzzle.

Thanks.
5 hours ago, Cuz said:

Well, I picked one up yesterday so I guess I’ll find out. I mounted a Burris FF3 to the rail, and that seems to allow a decent shooting position for now so I’ll leave the sights alone. I don’t care for the thread protector on the end of the barrel so I think I’ll put a brake on it mostly just to protect the muzzle crown from damage. I ran about 100 rounds through it last night in the stock configuration to make sure it ran ok. Now I’ll order the Taccom parts and install the Glock mag insert and see how far I get between cleanings...

What muzzle brake are you all using on this rifle? Again, I’m not concerned with performance, mostly just a short one to protect the muzzle.

Thanks.

I put on one from Primary Weapons system.  Nothing fancy or super expensive.  I also have the Taccom magwell and button magazine release.  Picked up an extended charging handle from Galloway Precision.  

pcc_45.jpg