Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide timing issue? Mag or extractor gold team

Mlussoro

My gold teams been not so gold status lately, 

been running into feed issues where round is caught in mag and chamber locking gun up.

With all mags from MBX to k38 140s, tried rn hollows crimp no crimp oal from 1.220 to 1.260

recoil springs from 6 to 15 to get dwell timing correct, even stroked gun .25 of and inch.  Relaxed all springs and followers polished feed lips, completely polished everything internal inside gun , inside slide barrel cone etc, this this is smooth as glass when racked.

She will run all day running drills at the range but match day she shits the bed.  

My load data is 38 super comp brass cci primer, 9.8 gr 3n38 on a 124 Accura round nose pushing 171 pf, dot track is phenomenal, accurate as hell but not consistent or reliable. 

Any thoughts? 

Replace the extractor spring with a wolff xtra power spring. DON'T trim it!

Inspect the extraxtor for damage. If you hand insert a round and drop the slide over it, that will damage the extractor. (In my experience)

Put a spent round on the breech face held by the extractor.  you should be able to bang it around and it not come off.

If it's not firmly held, you can fit the extractor. There is a flat pad that controls the depth it grabs.  SLOWLY remove metal from it to increase the depth. 

I don't have a gold team but recently on my Limited .40 I was having feeding issues. Tried different bullets, tried multiple mags, even bought new mag tubes. Inspected the brass and found marks on where the extractor clips on. On certain brass it would gouge into the brass  and lock it up. Even if it didn't lock up you could feel it that it just wasn't smooth. Anyways found the extractor was worn, the little part on the bottom that helps guide the case into extractor was worn. Replaced the extractor and shot a major match last weekend and it functioned 100%. Good Luck!