Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I fix this case bulge on a 9mm?

abigger04

I've been reloading with a Hornady LNL using the Hornady size die and Lee FCD.  My latest batch show a bulge near the top of the case (see the picture below).  How do I resolve this?  The bullets feed fine and fire without problem, but the cartridges look unusual.  Loading 124 gr at 1.165" for 9 major.

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 8.20.52 PM.png

That's a good eye on the crimp George, I didn't catch that, but with regards to the bulge, you're undersizing the case with your size die, the the bullet is stretching it back out again as it seats, no problem there, it will help prevent setback.

I posted a thread about this not long ago. My problem ended up being that bullets were being seated crooked with the hornady seating Die. I bought a Redding competition seating Die and 100% of my problems went away.

Here’s the thread if you’d like to read it.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/263232-problem-with-9mm-bulge/

This is known as the "coke bottle" effect and only shows that your case ID was sized down to well below bullet diameter.

It is good because it prevents bullet setback, especially with light short bullets.

I use the EGW "U" die to generate the narrowing whenever loading bullets lighter than 135 gr 9mm or 230 jacketed/200 cast .45. 

If the bulge is asymmetrical - larger on one side than the other - the bullet is seated a little crooked. As noted, a Redding Competition seating die is one of the better ways to prevent this.

If the bulge is symmetrical, it's not crooked, and as noted, is normal and desirable to indicated good neck tension. 

FYI, crooked seated bullets don't appear to affect accuracy very much in some guns at typical pistol distances:   https://americanhandgunner.com/exclusive-crooked-seated-bullets-and-accuracy/   But crooked bullets might produce problems chambering in tight chambers, or if they are extra crooked. 

posting before the  'FCD is the devil' crowd arrives :)

As others have posted, your cartridge looks fine.  Little bit of 'coke bottle' from your sizing die, but if it is accurate and feeds well, what is there to fix.

• 3 weeks later...

To whoever suggested Redding competition seating die:  Be careful with that.  he mentioned he's loading major.  Those seating dies aren't meant to load compressed charges, including the pistol seat dies.  Doing so can void the warranty.  They even include a slip of brightly colored paper in the die box, warning the buyer about that.

First of all, it is impossible to over crimp with a Lee FCD.  Secondly, all non-vertical bullet seatings can be eliminated by using a Mr. Bulletfeeder two-step expander/funnel.  It works much better than the Hornady PTX.  Just make sure to tell him you want one for a LnL, otherwise he'll send one for a Dillon.

The wasp-waist is precisely what Dillon sets their dies up for.  It helps feeding and resists bullet setback.  It looks weird but does not affect accuracy or performance.  As long as it drops in and out of the chamber checker, don't worry about it.

Your wasp waisted cases are normal on a pistol case, lay a straight edge the length of the case and check the crimp. Below you can see the slight taper crimp, if the case is over crimped the straight edge will be resting on a bulge just below the case mouth and crimp. Meaning you would see more daylight around the bullet.

Wasp waisted, think of loose fitting pants that are too big and tightening a belt to hold the pants up.

MfcwIQB.jpg

Edited by bigedp51

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, muncie21 said:

posting before the  'FCD is the devil' crowd arrives :)

As others have posted, your cartridge looks fine.  Little bit of 'coke bottle' from your sizing die, but if it is accurate and feeds well, what is there to fix.

I'll second this.  If they pass the gauge and feed in your pistol, and are accurate, there is nothing to worry about.

Hi:

The way to fix the case bulge on any round is a) to throw the case away, or b) use a Case Pro 100.

The inexpensive "U" die, etc., helps but the Case Pro rocks.

The other solution is to buy once reloaded brass from Kenny Marx and throw away the crap you pick up.

Good luck,

Grandpoobah