Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Jeremyc_1999

What laser for your PCC

25 minutes ago, BartCarter said:

If you ever offer your internal for a Walther PPQ, I know where you can sell 5 of them.

It's not off the table. Being that we are replacing an internal part of the firearm, our guide rod lasers require a ton of R&D time, expense and ammunition to make sure the firearm will function 100%. With that said, understandably new products we try to roll out for the top selling models in the marketplace whose design allows us to incorporate the switching for our laser, but the Walther is a great gun and is gaining popularity everyday so who knows, maybe we'll be able to roll that out in the future.

13 hours ago, bockerSV said:

I'm the product manager for all LaserMax products, if you guys have questions, feel free to bounce them around. There's nothing wrong with Crimson, they make a fine product and we are all confined to the same federal regulations on power output of these things. We've been making laser sights since 1989, so by now our way of doing things is pretty tried and true, check us out if you're in the marketplace.

As others have stated, these definitely have a limited application in USPSA but are pretty nice for shooting in weird positions or when starting with the stock on your belt and targets in view, you can start engaging just as quickly as you can flip a safety off.

Green lasers are definitely the way to go for this sport, the human eye just sees the color green easier than other colors in the light spectrum. We do pretty extensive livefire tests on compact and sub-compact .40S&W handguns so holding zero on a 9mm rifle is a breeze.

Good post. Thank you!

On 7/18/2018 at 8:29 AM, bockerSV said:

I'm the product manager for all LaserMax products, if you guys have questions, feel free to bounce them around. There's nothing wrong with Crimson, they make a fine product and we are all confined to the same federal regulations on power output of these things. We've been making laser sights since 1989, so by now our way of doing things is pretty tried and true, check us out if you're in the marketplace.

As others have stated, these definitely have a limited application in USPSA but are pretty nice for shooting in weird positions or when starting with the stock on your belt and targets in view, you can start engaging just as quickly as you can flip a safety off.

Green lasers are definitely the way to go for this sport, the human eye just sees the color green easier than other colors in the light spectrum. We do pretty extensive livefire tests on compact and sub-compact .40S&W handguns so holding zero on a 9mm rifle is a breeze.

What LaserMax product would you suggest?  I did order a crimson trace, but have another PCC upper that I wouldn't mind outfitting with a laser

The Micro 2 in green I think is best suited for a PCC, it's tiny, takes the same battery as a C-More slide ride, is as bright as we can legally make it,  has switches that are out of the way and does not need to be removed to change batteries. 

https://www.lasermax.com/micro-2-g.html

For a little less, the Spartan in green is really nice. It was kind of designed for use on a handgun, which you can kind of see when you look at the switches, but is rail mounted so works just fine on a rifle. The downside to this model is it must be removed to change batteries, though I have found that it returns to zero pretty well after removal as long as your returning it to the same rail slot.

https://www.lasermax.com/sps-g.html

Keep in mind these can often be found online and occasionally in retail for less than what we list them for on our website.

3 hours ago, bockerSV said:

The Micro 2 in green I think is best suited for a PCC, it's tiny, takes the same battery as a C-More slide ride, is as bright as we can legally make it,  has switches that are out of the way and does not need to be removed to change batteries. 

https://www.lasermax.com/micro-2-g.html...  Keep in mind these can often be found online and occasionally in retail for less than what we list them for on our website.

$136 on Amazon: Rail Mounted Laser (Green) Requires at least 3/4 of rail space https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XXU2ZTS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jnMvBb2FATDT3

Well, like I had stated earlier, the FDA regulates the maximum power that lasers can legally be sold. For commercially available laser sights, you're not allowed to produce anything putting off over 5mW, so in really bright day light they can be difficult to see, depending on the type of material you are aiming it at, the distance and how good your eyes are.

Recently Crimson got dinged for this and was forced to do a recall:

http://www.recoilweb.com/crimson-trace-recall-issued-to-comply-with-fda-regulations-137867.html

But from an end user perspective, I'd be kind of happy I accidentally bought a laser that was brighter than legally allowed.

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2018 at 10:33 AM, stick said:

Stick, have you actually compared these against a "major brand" green laser such as LaserMax, Crimson Trace, etc?  I've been wavering over purchasing this laser.  Based on BockerSV's info, I reviewed the eBay ad, and it says that this laser is rated at 5mW, which is the same as LaserMax and others are legally limited to produce.  I'm just wondering if this Chinese laser is a 5mW laser, or if they "conveniently rated themselves" at 5mW in the ad for legal purposes.

EDIT TO ADD:  I may have answered my own question, as it's listed here at 250mW:  https://www.laserpointerpro.com/250mw-green-beam-light-flat-head-laser-gun-sighter-black-p-1907.html

Edited by jkrispies

5 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Stick, have you actually compared these against a "major brand" green laser such as LaserMax, Crimson Trace, etc?  I've been wavering over purchasing this laser.  Based on BockerSV's info, I reviewed the eBay ad, and it says that this laser is rated at 5mW, which is the same as LaserMax and others are legally limited to produce.  I'm just wondering if this Chinese laser is a 5mW laser, or if they "conveniently rated themselves" at 5mW in the ad for legal purposes.

EDIT TO ADD:  I may have answered my own question, as it's listed here at 250mW:  https://www.laserpointerpro.com/250mw-green-beam-light-flat-head-laser-gun-sighter-black-p-1907.html

It's really bright.  I shot a classifier with it last weekend (CM99-63) Merle's Standards.  I had no problem seeing the green laser on the target at 35 yards.

I have had a LaserMax Spartan for a while now, I havent used it much but it has worked well. I have tried it mounted to the end of the handguard, in front of the optic on the upper, and on a 45* mount behind the optic on the upper. My favorite position is in front of the optic, but my shooting grip style means the beam gets blocked from time to time.  On the end of the hanguard is my second favorite, but my tube has no provisions to mount stuff so I have to rig something up. Right now its sitting on a 45* mount behind the optic and that works OK for a little as I have used it. It only get used for very awkward positions where I cant get my head behind optic. 

Posted (edited)

Someone was letting a Crimson trace go for cheap so I picked it up and mounted forward of my CMore.  Only issue is if I curl my thumb over the Taccom CF guard it blocks the laser.  Currently debating what to do.  If anything....

Other issue is now I can't get rid of my cat during dry fire!

Edited by longbeard