Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Purchasing a suppressor online?

ksf141

Hi folks, I fully understand the process of purchasing a suppressor directly from a retail store (store fills out their part of application, you fill out your part and write a check, store a ubmit applications to atf with check for fee, wait for approval, once paperwork comes back the gun store calls you and you go pick up your suppressor).

my question is how the process works for purchasing one online such as gunbroker?

I assume first you need to find an FFL that will accept the item and do a transfer for you. 

But it what happens after you purchase online? How does the seller submit the paperwork to the atf if you are 10 states away? Once approval comes back, does the seller the ship it to your FFL? 

Looking for insight on this process. Thanks!

This is copied from the NRA.  I hope this helps

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2018/2/7/how-to-buy-a-suppressor/

With NRA-ILA's legislative efforts, firearm suppressors are legal to own in 39 states and legal for hunting in 34. But they remain rather expensive and difficult to purchase due to the BATF's restrictions. Nonetheless, if you can purchase a handgun you can likely own a silencer, and you probably should. Your ears, your neighbors and your shooting will benefit. Here's how:

1.  If silencers are legal to own in your state (this includes AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY) pick one that fits your shotgun, handgun or rifle at your Class III arms (machine guns, etc.)  dealer. Its serial number will be used for the registration process, but you won't be able to purchase it or take it home until it is registered to you by the BATF's NFA branch. Alternatively, there is an online store called silencershop.com where you can buy a silencer online. You'll still have to go through the following steps, but the Silencer Shop has streamlined the process by doing most of it for you, then shipping your silencer to your local dealer.

2.  Before you can purchase a silencer you must be approved and your silencer registered by the BATF. There are three ways to register the suppressor for purchase. A: Register it to yourself; B: Form a trust and register the suppressor to that trust; or ? Register as a corporation. Many legal experts advocate option B for personal suppressor purchase.

Forming a trust requires a legal document to be filed with the state. It can cost anywhere from $100-$500 in legal fees, but it makes buying a suppressor easier because trust holders can forgo the fingerprint, photograph and authority's signature portions of the registration process. While individuals cannot let anyone use their silencer if they are not within the owner's eyesight, trust holders can allow those listed on the trust as trustees to use the silencer. Both the The Silencer Shop and the silencer manufacturer Silencerco sell ready-made trust paperwork on their websites. Or you can contact a local attorney who's familiar with your state's trust laws.

3.  Fill out the BATF's required forms, form 4 and form 5330.20, in duplicate; (The BATF previously had an e-file system available but at the moment it's not up, so you must fill out the paper forms and also have your dealer fill out its portion before sending.) If you're registering as an individual, you'll need to get fingerprinted and photographed. Ask your dealer about the forms and proper fingerprint cards.

4.  Pay the $200 transfer fee (commonly called a tax stamp) to the BATF. In addition to this cost, your dealer will often charge a transfer fee for completing the paperwork, mailing it and receiving and transferring the suppressor. The Silencer Shop charges $70 if you do not live in Texas, but they'll ship it to you at no additional cost.

5.  When the BATF receives your paperwork and fee and approves your form 4, your dealer is then authorized to transfer the silencer to you, via a standard form 4473 used in firearm purchases. The tax stamp stays with the silencer for as long as you own it; it can be used on various guns. If you go to buy another silencer, the entire process (except setting up a trust) must be completed again and another $200 paid for each silencer purchased.

In the end, you'll have a firearm that's fun to shoot, safe for your ears and easy on the neighbors.

2 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

If you go the trust route, can you do it as an individual or does it require two or more persons to be listed?  Also is the procedure the same for an SBR?

Trust doesn't require a specific number of trustees. 1- ?

Yes, same for sbr.

• 2 months later...

OP.. if you buy online from an individual in another state, my understanding of process goes like this... you make your deal... you make payment...you find a local dealer.  Seller has a dealer.  Seller transfers suppressor to his dealer.  His dealer transfers & sends it to your dealer.  Your dealer holds it until all atf stuff is done then he releases to you.  Obviously you pay seller, someone you or him pays his dealer, you pay your dealer, eventually you get your suppressor.   If anything fails after its transferred to your dealer, you lose all the money & the suppressor.  Not sure what dealer does with it but no way the seller or his dealer is obligated to refund any money.  Its a little more risky than buying direct from a dealer plus there is 1 more transfer which means another fee.....

This was how it was explained to me when I tried to buy a suppressor from my brother that lives in a different state than I do.  I decided against it.  Transfer fees at 2 different dealers plus regular charges made it not a good deal on a so so suppressor.  Might have been different if it was a top of the line steal of a deal but it wasnt....

2 hours ago, mlmiller1 said:

OP.. if you buy online from an individual in another state, my understanding of process goes like this... you make your deal... you make payment...you find a local dealer.  Seller has a dealer.  Seller transfers suppressor to his dealer.  His dealer transfers & sends it to your dealer.  Your dealer holds it until all atf stuff is done then he releases to you.  Obviously you pay seller, someone you or him pays his dealer, you pay your dealer, eventually you get your suppressor.   If anything fails after its transferred to your dealer, you lose all the money & the suppressor.  Not sure what dealer does with it but no way the seller or his dealer is obligated to refund any money.  Its a little more risky than buying direct from a dealer plus there is 1 more transfer which means another fee.....

This was how it was explained to me when I tried to buy a suppressor from my brother that lives in a different state than I do.  I decided against it.  Transfer fees at 2 different dealers plus regular charges made it not a good deal on a so so suppressor.  Might have been different if it was a top of the line steal of a deal but it wasnt....

The above is also my understanding of how the process works. If you know a FFL (meaning you bought from him/her before and he/she knows your name etc) you may catch a break or get a discount on one of the transfer fees. Beyond that its all paperwork and waiting a long time. Also, I'm assuming you live in a free state where can's are legal to own. Here in not so free MA my work-a-round was to get an FFL 07 SOT. Dealers love selling to dealers.....just a little paperwork and the wait on can's is only a few weeks! IMO, if I were you I would look locally, by the time you get finished with fees, shipping etc, the out of state can will not be worth it.....unless you are getting a really good deal in the first place. Do you mind posting the name/type of can you are looking at and what type of gun you will be using it on? 

Edited by quiller

Have you called the NFA branch to check the status and make sure your dealer didn't just lose the Form4 somewhere/lost in the mail? I've had some take 13 months, but lead times are down to 6-7 months now unless you get hung up in the FBI background portion (they're busy investigating high school parties). I did have my dealer 'misplace' my stamp for a few months until I called and told him it was approved several months ago. 

FWIW Silencershop/kiosk is THE easiest option, but you pay for it.

I am on a single-person trust and have bought from online dealers, local dealers, and silencershop. All with varying degrees of headache. Place like GunProDeals sometimes have KILLER prices on cans, but you're talking about form 3 wait time + slow warehouse shipping + ship time + filling out your own form 4 (depends on your FFL) + local FFL fees. Have to decide what that's worth to you.

• 3 months later...