Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing pin compatibility

I run a JP GMR-15 and I managed to break the JP firing pin after just 600 rounds.

I just sent an email to JP and I am sure that they will send me a new one.  They have always been super cool about stuff like this.

However, for a backup......I was thinking of trying the Wilson Combat bullet proof firing pin.

Does anyone know if that will work with a JP GMR-15 bolt?  Also, does the WIlson Combat pin live up to its "unbreakable" marketing hype?

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, scffacenter1 said:

For what it's worth I broke a new taccom pin in less than 1k in a faxon gen 2 bolt

Yikes!  I have a Taccom Extreme 9mm bolt with one spare firing pin...  My spare FP appears to be the newer type with the rounded shoulder...  Not sure which firing pin type is in the bolt itself...  I have about six or seven hunderd rounds on the bolt so far...  It's about a month old.

Taccom doesn't seem to sell firing pin springs separately...  Assume you guys just use standard Mil-Spec springs?

Checked the firing pin that came in my Taccom Extreme bolt and it's a standard looking firing pin...  The part the hammer hits is round about 1/8" in diameter.

The new firing pin I bought from Taccom is a different design with a large notched area where the hammer hits...  See picture below...  I assume the standard looking firing pin that came in my bolt is the original design (that might break)...  and the notched design is the newer version that is stronger and won't break...  Just like to make sure the notched design is the newer version before I put it in my rifle.

Taccom New Style Firing Pin.jpg

I ordered two JP firing pins and they sent me a free one under warranty.  They are supposed to be the new style.

To my eye, they look exactly like my old ones though.

Does anyone have pictures (or can you describe) how the new firing pin differs from the old one?  My old one (broken) is in the trash.....

On 7/17/2018 at 8:30 AM, stick said:

Don't buy just one.  buy three and don't forget to buy extra firing pin springs also.

Two is one and one is none!

I have a Taccom Extreme Bolt and one new, extra firing pin...  I plan to buy two more firing pins for spares, but can't find any FP springs or cotter pins.

Where can I pick up a few extra firing pin springs and cotter pins that will fit my Taccom FP and bolt?

I use the CMMG firing pin springs.  I don't have any idea about the cotter pins.  I don't usually keep extras.  But murphy's law will kick in, so i need to find some for my Taccom bolt as well.

I also just noticed a bent firing pin in my Taccom bolt.

19 hours ago, stick said:

I use the CMMG firing pin springs.  I don't have any idea about the cotter pins.  I don't usually keep extras.  But murphy's law will kick in, so i need to find some for my Taccom bolt as well.

I also just noticed a bent firing pin in my Taccom bolt.

Thanks...  I'll' look for the CMMG springs.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Rock-River-AR-15-Firing-Pin-Retaining-Pin-p/rra-ar0030.htm

Found the firing pin retaining/cotter pins at Joe Bobs...  The only cotter pin I have is the one in my bolt...  I don't want to drop it if I have to change out a broken firing pin at a match...

On 7/26/2018 at 12:00 AM, Flatland Shooter said:

Did not know that.  What is the difference?

true firing pin retainers are hardened metal. They will not bend or change shape. A cotter pin is softer material. If the disconnector fails to capture the hammer after firing, it will follow the bolt forward. The hardened retainer pin will protect the firing pin. A softer material will give. NO, I have never tested this out.

Can you put a regular pin in? Sure you can. I would not want to stake my life on one.

The Wilson and JP firing pins should be the same. Also take the advice of have a couple of firing pins and it would not hurt to have an extra extractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, Nemesis Lead said:

I run a JP GMR-15 and I managed to break the JP firing pin after just 600 rounds.

I just sent an email to JP and I am sure that they will send me a new one.  They have always been super cool about stuff like this.

However, for a backup......I was thinking of trying the Wilson Combat bullet proof firing pin.

Does anyone know if that will work with a JP GMR-15 bolt?  Also, does the WIlson Combat pin live up to its "unbreakable" marketing hype?

Many thanks!

I'm curious what is your load? I just got my GMR-15 and I running N320 (3.8grs) behind a 124gr MG JHP @ 1.13. I just trying to gauge what everyone is experiencing. When your firing broke, what symptoms did it give you? Thanks!! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

Sorry for not responding sooner.  I got no email notification.

I am at 3.6 grains of N320 under a 147 grain bullet (1.13 OAL).  About 142 PF.  I recognize that this is pretty stout.    I am moving to 3.8 grains of N320  under a 124 grain bullet (1.10 OAL).  About 133 PF.  all bullets are plated or jacketed.

I had ZERO symptoms.  I found the broken firing pin when I cleaned the gun.

19 hours ago, Nemesis Lead said:

Hi Mike,

Sorry for not responding sooner.  I got no email notification.

I am at 3.6 grains of N320 under a 147 grain bullet (1.13 OAL).  About 142 PF.  I recognize that this is pretty stout.    I am moving to 3.8 grains of N320  under a 124 grain bullet (1.10 OAL).  About 133 PF.  all bullets are plated or jacketed.

I had ZERO symptoms.  I found the broken firing pin when I cleaned the gun.

Well at least it is confirmed that a tight channel will keep a broken firing pin going. As for my round, I forgot to mention that I am using SRP. I have a ton of them from shooting open. My PF should be 133-140.

1 hour ago, JZELEK said:

What is a good way of cleaning out the firing pin channel in these 9mm bolts?

Pipe cleaners?

all I do is a bit of clp or your fav cleaning stuff for overall bolt.

then I take turns blasting FP channel both directions with compressed air.

In fact I blow out everything  everywhere on the pcc with compressed air.......in addition the normal cleaning/lubing.

I never lube the FP or channel directly, but i'm sure there's always a bit of oil film going on in there.

my fp broke at about 5000 with the JP pcc and ran fine  until I noticed it when cleaning.