Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 will not feed brass fast enough.

Everything has worked perfect for first 50K rounds. Then I poured in brand new 38 Super Comp brass and I noticed that the brass was not getting picked up very quickly by the plastic case plate. After I loaded those I went back to nickel plated rounds and now these too were loading slower. My plate can make one full rotation and sometimes only picks up 6 or 7 rounds. Dillon asked me to put a fender washer under the plate at the button, no help, then I was told scrub the plastic bowl really well, no help. Dillon won’t just send me a new plate and they keep hinting that if this doesn’t work I might have to send mine back to them for an inspection. I think I’m somehow missing out on their no BS warranty. Anybody with any suggestions?

Is your bowl vibrating due to support structure fatigue and or loose fasteners?

Your brass is supposed to lie along the sides of the bowl.  

If there is vibration and shaking, the brass wants to align itself heavy side down which is the primer end instead of lying on its side.

This is one of the reasons I have a mirror looking into the bowl.  

I know some people that mount their bowl to the wall instead of the press to avoid this.  

I hope this makes sense to you.  

Edited by Currently

How many cases are you dumping in there to start off with? If it’s more than 400 then it might be too much.

the other thing to check is the shell plate clutch. If it’s slipping excessively then it will not perform well. The clutch should only function when there is a case jam.

I’ve actually changed to another clutch from another plate. It rotates fine. I’ve tried it with 20 pieces of brass and also 200 pieces of brass, neither fixes the problem. Dillon has replaced my feeding tube so I assume the warranty applies to parts of the case feeder, just not the motor. I am really perplexed on this one.

Have you checked the voltage output of the outlet you are plugging into? I had a similar situation (not with a case feeder, but an electrical appliance. Plugged it into a different circuit and it ran at full speed. There were loose connections in the outlet box that increased resistance and dropped the amperage.