Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Mega extension with ETS magazines

MBX Claims that their mega extension will work with ETS and factory glock magazines but I've heard reports at the range of guys having issues with ETS magazines.  Who here runs the MBS mega extensions with ETS magazines?  Any issues or gtg?

Thanks

1 hour ago, L9X25 said:

ETS magazines require that you keep them clean, they don't tolerate dirt like the Glock factory mags do.  Other than that, my Taccom and TF base plates work fine with ETS.

My ETS/MBX combos have worked great, but I agree that that are a bit more sensitive to dirt than others.  In my experience, you can just slide them onto extensions and they work without any issues.  I've had to do a lot of tuning to get my Glock mags to work with any extensions greater than a +5/6.

L9X25 had me try the ETS and I already had the MBX mini on a glock mag and switched it to the ETS and have no problems and it seemed to be an easier fit. Glad to hear about the cleaning thing though cause my cleaning schedule do not have these mags due for cleaning until Apr 2019?

I am saying this mainly for Roy's benefit (I am pretty sure he has never cleaned a Glock mag, much less seen the inside of one), the Glock factory mags have small ribs that the bullets ride on.  A small amount of dust or dirt will not affect the performance since the bullets do not touch the flat inside of the mag body.  The ETS have no such ribs, so the bullets literally ride on the flat inside wall of the mag body.  Any dirt or sand will impede the smooth function of the ETS mags.

16 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

I am saying this mainly for Roy's benefit (I am pretty sure he has never cleaned a Glock mag, much less seen the inside of one), the Glock factory mags have small ribs that the bullets ride on.  A small amount of dust or dirt will not affect the performance since the bullets do not touch the flat inside of the mag body.  The ETS have no such ribs, so the bullets literally ride on the flat inside wall of the mag body.  Any dirt or sand will impede the smooth function of the ETS mags.

From what i'm gathering, the ETS mags need to be kept clean to run, but they do in fact run when they're clean.

Since this is going on a big stick (57 rounder) for USPSA, I don't expect this one to ever hit the dirt.  I'll know to make sure it's clean tho… which MBX makes easy with their removeable floor plate.  

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:15 PM, SJMPCC022 said:

I have a few ETS mags, they work sweet. One has a Dawson +.200 base pad, in a few days another will have a Dawson +3 extended base pad, will report then.

Got my Dawson extended base today, all installed, match tomorrow, we shall see !

I just received an ETS 31rd 9mm mag and installed my MBX mega extension on it.  The bottom outside lip of the mag required some filing in order to fit the retaining pin.  It's all together now and the feeding feels exceptionally smooth with excellent spring tension when fully loaded.  I have no doubts that this will run.  

ETS mags are lower quality than GLOCK-brand-GLOCK mags. Mags are ~1-2% the cost of a gun or 1 good range session of bullets. Don't bother wasting time and money with mags that don't work for negligible initial cost savings. Once you smash 1 ETS follower, you will have lost any cost advantage. Then you replace the follower or buy a new ETS mag, you still have a mag that doesn't run when even the faintest bit of moon dust gets in it and can be finicky with extensions. 

1 hour ago, Darqusoull13 said:

ETS mags are lower quality than GLOCK-brand-GLOCK mags. Mags are ~1-2% the cost of a gun or 1 good range session of bullets. Don't bother wasting time and money with mags that don't work for negligible initial cost savings. Once you smash 1 ETS follower, you will have lost any cost advantage. Then you replace the follower or buy a new ETS mag, you still have a mag that doesn't run when even the faintest bit of moon dust gets in it and can be finicky with extensions. 

Would have been nice to know before I bought the ETS.  I didn't buy the ETS for cost savings, although cheaper.  I bought it because it's clear (i.e. I can see the BBs in the mag) and because MBX has officially recommended them.  So far, it hasn't disappointed in the spring tension or bullet presentation/angle department.  

I've heard it both ways, with most saying that, when kept clean, ETS mags work fine.  If this one shits the bed i'll get a glock brand mag host for my MBX extension.

I do have a glock brand mag for use with a Taylor Freelance extension.  It doesn't feed and the body is now sitting in my garbage.  2 other glock brand mags DO work though.  I guess you never can say something ALWAYS works or is always BETTER.  

I used an MBX Mini on a 31rd ETS for about a month or so.

The first time I installed the extension and loaded up a mag, it got bound up and I couldn't load more than 30 and some rounds fell out of the top so I unloaded the whole thing and tried again, this time I got a full magazine with no issues. I bravely ran the mag without ever trying it at a match the following the day and had ZERO issues.

I continued to use just this mag for matches (again, one mag, kinda brave but I had my G34 mags w/TTIs as backup) and no issues up until about a month ago. One one stage, I had an issue closing the bolt while making ready and dropped the mag which of course landed top down into some dirt; the RO asked if I wanted to take a second to clean out and adjust but I was stubborn and just tapped some dirt out and decided to run the course...and that was my mistake, the mag loaded two rounds before it jammed and I said F it and dropped it out for a reload with a more reliable magazine to finish the stage.

I unloaded the mag afterward and took the basepad off and then cleaned it as much as I could then reassembled and tried to load the full 45 rounds but the rounds weren't keeping their usual slight tilt and again would bind and the upper 5 rounds would just rattle around. Another shooter in my squad had an unmodified ETS 31rd mag and let me use it for the next stage and I had zero issues.

I e-mailed ETS about it and they said their new generation of magazines are oiled internally to help the follower keep the right path and not tilt and cause any issues.  Since then, I have installed my MBX mini on a factory Glock big stick and have had no issues with that, I reverted my ETS mag back to the factory original set up and ordered a second ETS as my backups back up and haven't had any problems with them.

As you saw online, every review is different and honestly they're cheap enough to just take the chance and give them a shot. I've experienced flawless operation and total unreliability all within the course of two months from the same mag yet still bought another when I got my Glock 33 (come on, the ETS are only $18!).

They definitely get the job done if you can't find legit Glock big sticks but just be prepared for the occasional hiccup that may occur, especially on a stage.

My ETS mag with the Dawson +4 pad was 100% first time out.

However, when I took it apart to install the base pad it was oiled quite a bit on the inside. Their instructions tell you to do this. 

If a little WD-40 makes a mag work that well, I'm in !

4 hours ago, Southpaw said:

I couldn't get an MBX Mega extension to work with any OEM or ETS mags...

Interesting!  Is the follower hanging up on the extension?  How many rounds are you getting in the mag before you have issues?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the MBX Mega on a 31 round ETS with zero problems. I also have 5 Glock  big sticks, 5 new stock ETS 31s and 3 Magpul 21 rounders. I just ordered a second MBX Mega extension that I was planning on putting on one of the Glock 31 rounders but I'm having second thoughts. The Glock mags swell enough when loaded that they drag on the magwell of my JP GMR-15. The ETS seam to fit smoother.

9 hours ago, Boss1622 said:

The Glock mags swell enough when loaded that they drag on the magwell of my JP GMR-15. The ETS seam to fit smoother.

I just orderd an MBX mini a couple of days ago. Plan is to put it on a Glock big stick for unloaded starts, switch the TF +10 base to an ETS mag for the " go to" mag.

The ETS mags work very well and all the time ! However, I don't think I would make a habit of pounding one into a PCC gun with the bolt in battery !