Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armaspec Stealth recoil system

I built a PCC gun last winter and started shooting USPSA matches again ( about a 12 year layoff) this spring. What a blast this AR platform 9mm is !

Breaking golden rule number 1, I am trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist, similar to the Robert Muller Investigation! 

I just today ordered the Armaspec Stealth recoil system, kind of like I just joined this forum today. Stranger things have happened.

Does anyone have any feedback on this product ? By the looks of it I think it should help in the smoothness and recoil mitigation departments, but real world experience is always the best. Or should I say it Trumps everything else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got mine dialed in last night and it ran really well. I did add a delrin spacer to limit the travel of the BCG. It equated to a little more felt recoil than my blitzkrieg hydraulic set up but the dot bounce seems to be less while cycling a little faster. 9262becfeaf6147352d8b3fd008a143d.jpg6dbea8c6faf9b1f609a5d0233b3201f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have the armaspec, I bought this first. As a 9mm buffer it works fine, the issue for me is that it doesn't soften the felt recoil like other systems. I decided to invest in a second buffer for a second build and bought an mbx. I now use the mbx in matches on my main build. It does a way better job mitigating felt recoil. If it were me I would have gone with the mbx from the get go.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, brix said:

I have the armaspec, I bought this first. As a 9mm buffer it works fine, the issue for me is that it doesn't soften the felt recoil like other systems. I decided to invest in a second buffer for a second build and bought an mbx. I now use the mbx in matches on my main build. It does a way better job mitigating felt recoil. If it were me I would have gone with the mbx from the get go.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

That was my concern, as I understand you have to take the weight out of the back of the bolt to allow for the piston rod protruding into the back of the bolt. I e mailed Armaspec and asked them that point blank. After a bit of shaming and name calling they responded, only to tell me they accept returns or will exchange weight blocks. I anticipated this, so I have a back up plan to make this thing reduce recoil as well as quiet the gun down. We shall see............................................................

1 hour ago, Justin_Hill said:

I just got mine dialed in last night and it ran really well. I did add a delrin spacer to limit the travel of the BCG. It equated to a little more felt recoil than my blitzkrieg hydraulic set up but the dot bounce seems to be less while cycling a little faster. 9262becfeaf6147352d8b3fd008a143d.jpg6dbea8c6faf9b1f609a5d0233b3201f2.jpg

I appreciate the feedback. I know these things are a work in progress to chase the holy grail, so a chasin' we will be ! Out of curiosity, did you try a few different loads or just your favorite load ?

Edited by SJMPCC022
add very important content
5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

What weight did you choose for your Armaspec SRS?

Not knowing there were different weights, I tried the 3.0 oz carbine flavor for 5.56 guns. Even in the softer shooting Guard it has a lot of felt recoil and even more dot bounce.

theres a 9mm specific version.

I currently run this with a full taccom upper(weight removed)

so far so good, will feed everything from factory 115gr, to 147gr 125pf loads.

IMO, can’t be beaten for the price.

I’ve been running one for a few months and love it, I to was a little concerned about pulling the weight out of the bolt would increase the felt recoil and sight movement but after I shot it, I found that to be a nonissue 

i tried the mbx and it turned my reliable gun into a jam a matic, but that was before they came out with their calibration pack

I am just putting together my PCC, so I have a standard buffer for now.  Is there any advantage / disadvantage to this over the Taccom 3 stage buffer?  There is only a $10 difference between the two, so that's really not a deal breaker.

22 hours ago, Justin_Hill said:

I just got mine dialed in last night and it ran really well. I did add a delrin spacer to limit the travel of the BCG. It equated to a little more felt recoil than my blitzkrieg hydraulic set up but the dot bounce seems to be less while cycling a little faster. 9262becfeaf6147352d8b3fd008a143d.jpg

Where do you all get these delron spacers?  Do you turn them down in a lathe?

I would think you might need to change the standard Armaspec springs when you limit the BCG travel?

I make them I am a machinist. I haven't had an issue limiting the travel on any buffer set up yet... we have done it to the shooting innovations, armaspec, and I believe one of my team mates did it to the JP as well. You can buy delrin/acetal on amazon for pretty cheap.

Where do you all get these delron spacers?  Do you turn them down in a lathe?

I would think you might need to change the standard Armaspec springs when you limit the BCG travel?

Again I appreciate all the good feedback. My Armaspec buffer shipped today so I will know by next week. Shooting a match Sunday, but I will leave the Kaw Valley buffer and spring in there till I have time to try it out. Like I said, if it doesn't work as expected I have a back up plan to make it work correctly.

FWIW...................... The Kaw Valley 7.5oz buffer and .308 spring they ship with it work very well. When I started this endeavor I loaded many, many different loads with 115gr, 124gr and 147gr. My home built gun ate it all ! As long as you feed it round nose bullets, it's very happy!

22 hours ago, Justin_Hill said:

I make them I am a machinist. I haven't had an issue limiting the travel on any buffer set up yet... we have done it to the shooting innovations, armaspec, and I believe one of my team mates did it to the JP as well. You can buy delrin/acetal on amazon for pretty cheap.

Amazon has everything...  Do you buy the acetal 1" diameter round bars, cut them to length and then drill a hole in them for the spring?

I have the JP Gen2 SCS system in my PCC rifle...  Just getting started in PCC, but I'm thinking about de-stroking my bolt by adding a wave spring to my SCS system...

14 minutes ago, STIboy said:

I have the Blitzkrieg, and the MBX should be coming in this week.  I'll report back when I have tested them against each other (and the TacCom...).

Thanks. I have run the Taccom, and various others with different springs and I currently use a carbine length tube with a JP 308 spring, wave spring, delrin spacer and a Blitzkrieg buffer. So far this has been the best set up I have found for a blowback gun. But I haven’t used the MBX. So I will interested to hear what you think

2 hours ago, Tan40 said:

Thanks. I have run the Taccom, and various others with different springs and I currently use a carbine length tube with a JP 308 spring, wave spring, delrin spacer and a Blitzkrieg buffer. So far this has been the best set up I have found for a blowback gun. But I haven’t used the MBX. So I will interested to hear what you think

I had been tunning the TacCom 3 stage system in my rifle length tube with a JP Delrin spacer, and was having trouble with ejection.  Did a bit more research and discovered the JP spacer is designed for their SCS buffer, and is slightly longer than a standard spacer used to convert a rifle length tube to a carbine length one.  Hadn't realized that.  When the MBX buffer and the proper Delrin spacers come in this week, I'll report back.