Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have Dillon 550 no autoindex how to make sure no double charge

On 7/9/2018 at 9:41 AM, sweatpants said:

I would use your eyeballs.  Even double charged fast powders are recognizable if you condition yourself to look for it.  Combination seating and crimp dies have their own problems that I personally would avoid.  

Problems which pale in comparison to potentially blowing off your fingers! lol.

OP: I'm not sure why so many avoid a powder check die but I would gladly sacrifice individual seat/crimp functions in favour of an added safety measure. Eyeing each case is good but eyeing each case and using a powder check die is better. You can never be too safe.

12 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

Problems which pale in comparison to potentially blowing off your fingers! lol.

OP: I'm not sure why so many avoid a powder check die but I would gladly sacrifice individual seat/crimp functions in favour of an added safety measure. Eyeing each case is good but eyeing each case and using a powder check die is better. You can never be too safe.

It implies that you aren't going to be looking into the case.  Stacking "safety measures" if you're just going to forego an obvious visual indicator of trouble isn't any safer or efficient.

9 minutes ago, sweatpants said:

It implies that you aren't going to be looking into the case.  Stacking "safety measures" if you're just going to forego an obvious visual indicator of trouble isn't any safer or efficient.

It implies no such thing. No one's foregoing anything. Look into the case and use a powder check die to help you not screw up because last time I checked we are still human.

Edited by 4n2t0

3 minutes ago, sweatpants said:

Are you saying it's not possible to visually detect no powder?  Are you saying it's necessary to confirm no powder visually and audibly?  

You're trying too hard to start something. I'm done.

Cheers.

Edited by 4n2t0

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, olstyn said:

If you have to interrupt your loading rhythm for some reason other than a press malfunction, make sure you leave the press with the ram up/handle down - that way you can be absolutely sure of the status of every station.  Any time you leave the shell plate full and the ram down and walk away, or even just turn your attention to something else briefly, you've got an opportunity to throw a double charge.  If you leave the ram up/handle down, on the other hand, it's 100% obvious that your next move should be "lower ram" followed by "rotate shell plate."  Beyond that, as others have said, visually verify every charge before you pull the handle.

good one! ill try that.

btw, UniqueTek sells lights for 550's.

Edited by Max It

On 7/11/2018 at 8:27 AM, sweatpants said:

Are you saying it's not possible to visually detect no powder?  Are you saying it's necessary to confirm no powder visually and audibly?  

I’ll speak up, since his intent seems incredibly obvious.

@4n2t0 was simpy saying that seeing the proper powder level in each case is a great way to prevent a double charge or squib.

Seeing it AND having it mechanically checked in case you miss one, is even more insurance against a double charge. Two layers of safety, versus one.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

@kneelingatlas is correct: You have to use a larger amount of a slow burn powder to get a bullet up to speed than a fast burner.

However, the density of all fast burning powders also varies widely.

3.8 grains of titegroup or clays leaves enough space in the case for a second powder charge.

3.8 grains of WST, Sport Pistol, e3, or Solo1000 would fill the case to a level which would be impossible to miss. In some cases, the case will physically overflow on a double charge.

Not all powders have the same density, even if they’re similar in burn rate and you need the same number of grains: A powder which looks like fine sand will occupy less of the case than one which consists of big, fluffy flakes.

But. In general. I do agree with Atlas’s point.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch the first 3 shells you load to make sure everything is right, then only index the plate when you see a seated bullet in Station 3.  That means your station 2 shell has powder in it.

If you get distracted or interrupted remove all partial loads from the machine, put them aside and start over.   Load the "take outs" at the end of your session.

Make your loads in 100 unit batches and put them in zip locks or bullet boxes.  If you find a squib in one while shooting, you'll only have to pull 99 bullets or relegate them to practice rounds instead of 5-600.

Lots of light, get a good angle to look at the station-- I actually got a taller stool to sit on and it made a big difference.   Concentration is the key.   

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:52 AM, 9x45 said:

Boots on ground, eyes on case. I use a little music stand light, but InLine Fab makes a really nice press mounted light. By the way, the Square Deal cannot double. Once the handle is about 1/3 the way down, long before the powder drop, the index pawl is already over center and cannot go backwards. It only goes one way. I've my 550 since 1986 and my SD since 2001.

image37741.jpg

Burned Out, I really like your set up. Whenever someone tells me he hasn't room for reloading I think of you.

anyway a good light for the OP is sold by UniqueTec. see their website, cheap item fits Dillon's.

Much obliged,

• 2 weeks later...